Register

Three vegetables

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Three vegetables

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Uschi wrote:Savoy cabbage is made into cabbage parcels stuffed with minced meat and then fried until golden brown and then braised until ready. Fry the leftover cabbage with some onions and lots of caraway seeds, make a good gravy to go with it and potato mash. Serve the parcel and the mash with the gravy and freeze the rest for later. :hi5: :wino

Uschi, that sounds properly scrumptious. I have SO got to try that. :yum :yum :yum

I use a Frikadellen (German flattish meatballs) for the filling, but below it you will find the other instructions.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:17pm
Edit
Post Options
Post by uschi on Oct 30, 2020 at 3:17pm
Frikadellen (for 4)

500 g minced meat, half pork-half beef

1 stale breadroll (or a good handfull of stale toast) diced

1 onion, diced

1 egg

salt & pepper

paprika

--------

also possible, but not the original:

(tabasco sauce, diced olives, feta cheese, chives, mediteranean herbs)

Soak bread in warm water, dice onion finely. Put meat into a bowl, squeeze water from bread, add bread, egg, salt & pepper, and the paprika to meat and knead well.

When everything has merged, form patties (they're thicker than burger-patties) of about 3-4 cm thick and 5-6 cm across.

Heat oil in a pan and fry Frikadellen until golden brown (medium heat).

Serve hot or cold and with either mustard or chili-sauce.

----

For Kohlrouladen (savoy cabbage parcels) the meat is prepared in the same way as the basic Frikas (no cheese or chili) (you can, if you like, add cooked rice) but instead of patties one produces rolls of about 3-4 inches long and two inches across.

Then you need savoy cabbage leaves. The four or five outside ones are often too tough, so take the next ones. Blanch them so they become easier to fold. Cut out the very thick and hard parts of the central ridge if necessary. Then wrap each meat cylinder in one leaf and fasten with a toothpick.

Next fry the parcels in oil or ghee until golden brown. Set the parcels aside and make a brown gravy from what's left in the pan using a little stock and caraway seeds to taste. You can also add the rest of the cabbage, finely shredded to the gravy. Put the parcels into the gravy again to warm them and then serve the parcels with mashed potatoes and the gravy.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks Uschi- I have bookmarked... :thumbsup :wave: :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Kacey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:59 am

I signed up for an Oddbox after reading about them here and so far have been very pleased. The last one contained a huge bag of radishes and a huge bag of mixed salad leaves. All lovely quality but we didn't fancy several days of salads to use them up.

In the end I halved the radishes and roasted them in the oven with a glug of olive oil and a good grinding of black pepper. Fried a thinly sliced onion and garlic in a bit more oil and added the roasted radishes and the salad leaves a handful at a time, finished off with a dollop of mascarpone to make it more saucy and we had it stirred through pasta. It was delicious!

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Late to the party, but (possibly for future reference) here are some thoughts.

Savoy - we'd absolutely second the kapuska suggestion. Ditto coleslaw. Otherwise stir fried with soy sauce, or that clafoutis-like dish whose name escapes me for the minute.

Marrow - we eat a lot of them (variety 'Badger Cross' funnily enough). Traditionally baked and stuffed either with a mince/rice filling sprinkled with cheese or as a variation I also use leftover youvetsi (lamb & orzo), in which case it's covered with slices of halloumi and baked. Other things include all sorts of dishes that more typically use courgettes. Pieces of marrow work well in MJ's prawn and courgette curry for instance, or the slow-cooked mush with garlic and OO (River cottage) or garlic and butter (St John) but can be subbed in any dish that courgettes work. Mention of River cottage reminds me of the marrow pickle from their game book, a bit like a fluid piccalilli, and don't forget the classic use of marrow with parsley sauce and ham.

I know you're working with constraints and also had a bad experience with St John over recent months :( , but hope you can find something of interest above.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox