Register

Another dilemma

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Another dilemma

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:18 am

I think it is fair if, for instance, only one or two people have pudding out of a larger group, that they suggest the bill is split without the cost of the pudding and that they add extra to cover it. I would always offer to do that if I were the one who'd had something extra or much more expensive than most.

Postby Meganthemog » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Some people love it when the bill is split as they know in advance to order the most expensive thing on the menu! We once went on holiday with a couple - they had no children and we had DD who was about 6 at the time. We did a supermarket shop as we were staying in a villa and self catering. Into the trolley went a shed load of booze along with a regular shop plus a packet of fish fingers (well she was only 6) and a small pack of mini choc ices. When we got to the checkout the other couple said shall we just split the bill 5 ways? We didn't. We also never went on holiday with them again.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Difficult one Megan.
I appreciate your child didn't eat as much as the adults and didn't have any wine, but she probably consumed more than those fishfingers and ice cream?

We holidayed with a pal who had children a few years ago.
He bought all their groceries separately. They were all primary school age at the time and ate earlier than the rest of us.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Why difficult WW? The 6 year old wasn’t consuming the shed load of booze.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:56 pm

scullion wrote:I was the loser in that scenario once, in the late seventies. i, and flatmates, went to a posh japanese restaurant in south ken when we were students (well, i was a student , they had just qualified and were working). there was virtually nothing on the menu that was vegetarian and i had the equivalent of a bowl of rice and a glass of water (i wasn't drinking alcohol for a while) but the bill was split between us and i had to cough up the equivalent of a couple of weeks food money for that.

What an upsetting experience for you Scullion. I think I would have said "If you don't mind, I would prefer to just pay for my own."

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox