Register

Vegan, with added meat?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Vegan, with added meat?

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm

Hey, I don't post much on here these days but I do read, so first off, Hi :wave
Anyway, just the other day I read something online that got me thinking, and then it may be relevant to me.
Basically someone had ordered a vegan burger, as she preferred that patty, but not actually being vegan, had asked for it with bacon and cheese which were available in the restaurant.
Everyone was really rude, as if this is something you shouldn't do, and was somehow taking the pee.

As for me, Dd and her Bf like the chain pancake place, Stack and Still and I've offered to take them, I like the sound of the falafel stack which is labelled vegan, fine of course, but I'd prefer the yoghurt with it, and the pancakes actually to be the regular, non vegan sort.

I can't see why this would be an issue, but according to what I read, it could be.

Any thoughts?

Re: Vegan, with added meat?

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:25 pm

In hotels I've been known to order a veggie breakfast with a side of black pudding.

I've also been known to order chips with a side of fish.

Foods labelled vegan surely means suitable for vegans, rather than exclusively for them. I suppose an equivalent is that some people get annoyed if someone without a visible disability uses a public toilet that has got a disabled sign. Again, the sign means the toilet is designed to facilitate its use by folk in wheelchairs, rather than exclusively for their use.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:27 pm

The Woke lot strike again.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:38 pm

It could be, and I suspect it is, that people are blinkered. I can also see in some places that they'd have trouble with the variation at the till (the ones where certain foods are already programmed in and assistants freak if you ask for a small, inexpensive adjustment).

There seems to be a huge problem in understanding that some meat-eaters or vegetarians might like vegan food too. The only time this cam be a problem is at parties where everyone makes a beeline for the vegan food and there's not enough left for vegans.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Depends.
If the complainers were offended by it, then they should mind their own business.

If the complainers think you are ruining a perfectly good meal, then I'd agree.
Vegan is a cuisine, and to lob cheese and bacon at it, proclaiming you like the vegan patty - that seems odd.

Just like ordering a delicious fillet steak and smothering it with ketchup.
Up to you, you're the one eating it, but why would you?!

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Does sound like an unfortunate experience with a combination of a "cooking by numbers" place and poor customer service. Personally I would assume that pancake place isn't like that and order what you fancy. It's not so different from choosing a vegan/veggie option as a course in a restaurant but having non-vegan/veggie options for others. Having had a look at their website they seem to promote "build your own" options so can't see a tweak to a dish posing a problem.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 pm

I don’t see the problem and have done it before ordering the vegan burger and asking for “normal” cheese with it , rather than the vegan cheese .

I like a lot of veggie /vegan food and a lot of people I know may eat meat in varying degrees but quite often go for the veggie option . Good food is good food , and if you fancy it on the menu then go for it . Life’s too short to card about other people’s opinions

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 pm

Vegan a cuisine Gill? Well maybe but I’d rather think of it as a lifestyle choice and surely if that isn’t in place we should all be able to pick and choose.

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:58 pm

I think the main issue is confusion and disruption in the kitchen - causing a higher likelihood of getting the order wrong.

There's nothing wrong with eating what you fancy, even if it's part plant-based and part meat-based, but I can see why restaurants don't like it from an organisational point of view.

Vegan food should be cooked in a completely separate part of the kitchen to avoid cross contamination, as should foods to which people are allergic. I doubt they are though!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:02 pm

Difficult one. I see no reason why anyone shouldn't 'mix & match' as it were, but personally, if I've ordered a vegan or veggie option, I'd expect (and want) it as it is rather than with additions/substitutions. But I've no fundamental objections.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:22 pm

The kitchen or till might have a problem processing the order but that's a separate issue from other people criticising the selection.

Why is it any different from putting milk on (vegan) porridge or fish with (vegan) chips? There wouldn't be a hint of a murmur if someone ordered 'vegan cheese' and 'vegan bacon' to go with their 'vegan burger', or conventional bacon and cheese with a meat patty.

What has one person's preferences got to do with another person's choices? If I'm dining with someone I might well order things that they'll eat so we can share, or if there's something they don't like about their dinner they can have some or all of mine, but the opinions of the next table or the interweb seem irrelevant.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Seems the world has turned upside down.
It´s wonderful that there are vegetarian ,and now vegan options on the menu, but why they should they be exclusive to vegetarians and vegans? If omnivores want to order them and add cheese, or yoghurt, or even a side of chicken nuggets, I don´t see what the problem is. A restaurant is there to satisfy customers, so to add bacon and cheese is not a big deal. In a burger place, most of the extras are ready made, so there´s not any noticeable disruption to the preparation of the meal. It´s not as if you were asking for some complex culinary concoction, MM, so I fail to see why they made a fuss. It´s not up to them to decide what you eat; you´re the client and you´re paying.
In a recent court case, some bloke won his suit on Veganism being a lifestyle. Well fine - good for him. It doesn´t affect me, but there´s a possibility that restaurant staff are confused or perplexed, or even paranoid about the choices these days.
I wonder what would happen if all our Muslim population suddenly decided that wanted strict halal cooking in every restaurant? My uncle Aga would have a field day!

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Oh it definitely wasn't a till issue, it was vegans objecting to their food being made none vegan.
I had no idea this was a thing.
We don't generally think of food as anything other than food, I like the look of the falafel pancake stack, but would rather have the proper buttermilk pancakes and actual yoghurt rather than a vegan alternative.
It's not a big deal, it just got me thinking, and I knew you lot would help!
I'm also looking at a dish with brisket and subbing that for Jackfruit, as per the menu.
(In all honesty I'm not a fan of pancakes and would rather go elsewhere but kids, even independent ones!)

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:47 pm

I have to say that I don't see vegan food as a cuisine, nor vegetarian and I'm yet to meet a human carnivore!
I just see food of different types.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 pm

I sort of mentioned this on the burger thread

I am not currently eating meat because my Covid taste buds won’t do it, I’m happy with a vegan patty but they tend to come with “smoked vegan cheese” - I’d prefer smoke-free real cheese. The thing is I’d already decided I wouldn’t try this at a big or chain establishment where the assembly is probably production line but might at the backgammon pub where chef has been known to wander out to confirm the details of your order

Badger's Mate wrote:I suppose an equivalent is that some people get annoyed if someone without a visible disability uses a public toilet that has got a disabled sign. Again, the sign means the toilet is designed to facilitate its use by folk in wheelchairs, rather than exclusively for their use.

I hate pulling people up on this sort of thing but no, although disabled toilets should be wheelchair accessible they are not for wheelchair users they are for disabled people who for any reason can’t use the regular toilets, which are often downstairs or up steps, and usually arranged with stalls, which severely visually impaired people or people with certain mobility problems can’t navigate. I’m ok with regular ones (usually) but it’s important because I know blind people who get abuse for using disabled toilets even when they have a white cane or a guide dog.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:26 pm

TBH, if someone would rather a dish have this, that and the other made differently or things swapped out, then probably better to choose another menu item. Enjoy it, or put up with it, but if optional extras are offered on the menu I see no reason at all why ordering them would be an issue.

I'd only raise my eyebrows if someone declared themselves to be vegan then nonchalantly or glibly went off piste. No reason for rudeness from anyone ever though.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:28 pm

I think perhaps that what is perceived as a vegan way of life has become something like a religion to many and to be seen not observing the rules shows you are not one of the converted and therefore should not be participating at all (not really the way to get more to convert!).

I think Suelle has a good point about separate prep areas but it doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:39 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I sort of mentioned this on the burger thread

I am not currently eating meat because my Covid taste buds won’t do it, I’m happy with a vegan patty but they tend to come with “smoked vegan cheese” - I’d prefer smoke-free real cheese. The thing is I’d already decided I wouldn’t try this at a big or chain establishment where the assembly is probably production line but might at the backgammon pub where chef has been known to wander out to confirm the details of your order

Badger's Mate wrote:I suppose an equivalent is that some people get annoyed if someone without a visible disability uses a public toilet that has got a disabled sign. Again, the sign means the toilet is designed to facilitate its use by folk in wheelchairs, rather than exclusively for their use.

I hate pulling people up on this sort of thing but no, although disabled toilets should be wheelchair accessible they are not for wheelchair users they are for disabled people who for any reason can’t use the regular toilets, which are often downstairs or up steps, and usually arranged with stalls, which severely visually impaired people or people with certain mobility problems can’t navigate. I’m ok with regular ones (usually) but it’s important because I know blind people who get abuse for using disabled toilets even when they have a white cane or a guide dog.

I have this , two ladies I work with are able bodied but require help with their personal care when using the toilet so we always use disabled toilets as they fall under the category and it gives more space as two people in there . There was an advert a while back with a seemingly fit looking guy saying along the lines of why should he use the disabled toilet then the other photo was him topless showing his stoma bag .

Similar but not , some people may order the vegan burger because they fancy a burger but the other option is a beef burger and they can’t eat red meat . They can still have the cheese etc though so why not

Postby scullion » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:14 am

there is also the other phenomenon that has occurred with the rise in veganism - that the vegetarian option has been ousted by the vegan one if the kitchen can only be bothered to make meat/fish options and non animal choices.
i have had the vegan option pizza in pizza express - with ordinary cheese (option offered by the waitress), as the rest of the topping was the one i wanted ; swapped goat cheese for brie (fewer vegetarians like goat than restaurants believe), and have had vegetarianised (all nouns can be verbed) vegan dishes when i've asked.
i think people should be allowed to eat what they want - as long as they leave me something to eat - it's no-one else business.

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:07 am

Generally I'm ok with the 'normal' loos even though I'm actually disabled, what does bother me is people using the blue badge spaces, without a blue badge.
I have one, and, no, it's not just a convenient parking token, it comes with a hell of a lot of issues.
I downplay it and make jokes, but it really does affect me constantly, and Dd has inherited it.
There's currently no genetic testing for it, but it runs in families.

Anyway, back to food, when we go to Stack and Still I'll report back.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox