Register

Vegan, with added meat?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Vegan, with added meat?

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:14 am

Scullion
I've seen that complained about too, and for good reason.
Instead of a veggie option, and a vegan one, and actually lumping the main allergies in with it too.
"HI, Welcome to our restaurant, I do hope you enjoy your plain potato/piece of cardboard/really crap salad with no dressing.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:01 pm

Yes, I've done that in Pizza Express too.

If non-vegan options are on offer, it's hard to see how anyone can get on their high horse about it for ethical (including evironmental) issues. Many places are inflexible though for other reasons as mentioned in the above discussion. I guess pizza places are inherently more geared up to adding or subtracting toppings.

re being offered a crap salad, well that depends on how good the place is really. Many faux gastro pubs (Mitchell and Butler type places) clearly just don't get vegan food, either in terms of nutrition or what's filling and tasty. They are merely ticking the trend box in offering their one 'weird' but popular alternative. (More than one is not possible hence vegetarian options becoming vegan.) Of course this is not enitrely fair as more often than not it's a burger which, provided it's not just a big, semi-cooked mushroom, is probably both nutritous and filling.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 pm

re the original question Stack and Still say on thier web site: "It’s all about choice here at Stack & Still. In fact, you could create nearly 12 million different combinations of pancakes using the options on our menu! That’s a different plate of pancakes every day for over 35,000 years!"

I would have thought that would cover you for your desired combination.

I find that claim quite hard to believe though. 12 million?!?

Postby aero280 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 am

12 million isn't a huge number when you get to combinations. A few different types of pancake and a dozen different fillings would probably do it.

I'll ask OH. She is the mathematician...
Last edited by aero280 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:45 am

Oh, I know it's possible, it was more a General wondering about unveganising a vegan option.
It's not, and never would be a huge problem, more curiosity I guess.
I won't be having any sweet options, I don't have a sweet tooth at the best of times anyway.
I'll leave that to Daughter and her BF.
As for me and maths, nope!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 am

I assumed 12 million was the number of combinations you could get simply mathematically from the number of items available

But could include such delights as pancakes with whipped cream, anchovies, salsa and topped with a fried egg or similar

Could also get expensive as each topping is priced separately

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:04 am

I adore anchovies, I'm not sure about that combination though!
Actually, I'm considering asking for mine with just toppings, and no pancakes, I don't hate them or anything but I'm just not bothered about them at all, and I can have a bite or two of the kidlets' ones.
I shall report back when we go, probably in a few weeks.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:26 am

I'm wondering if the thought of non-vegans choosing dishes from the vegan options on the menu causes panic stations in the kitchen ... a bit like when we catered for buffets, knowing there were going to be 10 vegetarians out of a total of 60 attendees, but then the non-veggies helped themselves to the veggie options and the vegetarians were left without enough to eat ............ if, prior to service, the kitchen have only allowed for and prepped a certain amount of the ingredients of the vegan dishes they could be left without enough for their vegan customers ...

If it becomes 'a thing' (note my use of modern parlance ;) ) it'll need a re-think in the kitchens ...

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 am

I am quite sure that ease is a far bigger issue than moral disapprobation, individual serving staff's opinions (which I would imagine are generally not shared - v unprofessional, but you do get unprofessional service, of course, especially with new staff) notwithstanding. I suspect the reported instance cited at the outset of the thread is the exception rather than the rule.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox