Register

Frankfurt Green Sauce

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Frankfurt Green Sauce

Postby Uschi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:58 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Uschi wrote:The potatoes are skinned before serving,

I'll never forget one of our early German au pairs who was absolutely horrified that we actually ate the skin on boiled potatoes! Although I had only ever eaten potatoes without the skin in Germany before, I had absolutely no idea what a "no-no" it was to even consider eating it!! I don't know if it's a regional thing, Uschi? Maybe different Laender have different customs?

Forgot to say that the one au pair with whom we are still very much in touch with was actually converted to eating the skins :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: For all I know we all dislike eating the skins. My mother was horrified when she heard of it "Ihr seid doch keine Schweine!!!" :o (pigs were fed potatoes with the skins on) - my Gran was horrified when "her" French POW told her he was fed them like that in his previous posting. Mind you, when they marched a group of Eastern POWs and forced labourers into the village and shut them into a barn overnight, she fired up the big steamer for the pigs and boiled potatoes which her children smuggled to the prisoners as soon as they were cool enough for them to handle. It was the only time she left the skins on, for practical reasons. I am sure no one minded ... the prisoners were considered sub-human and often starved to death.

Back to more pleasant things, the only potatoes we eat with the skin are the tiny new "Drillinge" potatoes or similar ones.

Pellkartoffeln mit Quark were considered poor people's food for a long time, but they are having a Rennaissance now, with people cutting down on their meat consumption.

Postby Amber » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:18 am

We never peel potatoes now, even for mash. And they’re (it’s?) delicious!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 am

Apache potatoes are particularly good mashed in their skins.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:11 am

Amber wrote:We never peel potatoes now, even for mash. And they’re (it’s?) delicious!

Until I went on an exchange scheme to France when I was at school, I had never eaten potatoes cooked in their skins ( apart from Jacket spuds ) at home... they were delicious liberally spread with butter :yum

Now, I only peel potatoes for roast - otherwise it's skin on all the way. If I want to do posh mash, I use the ricer and that keeps the skins back ... chef's perks spread with butter :thumbsup again :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:23 am

We used to have potatoes cooked with skins on when I was in kindergarten in the late 50s. I didn't see them cooked like that again until I was grown up. It wasn't a veggie school or anything but we sometimes had grated carrot too. Something else I didn't have again for years.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:29 am

Well, we may have different potato varieties, but I find the skins bothersome, dry, papery bits in my lovely Kartoffel.

For anyone visiting Germany "Salzkartoffeln" (Salz = salt) are peeled before they are cooked in saltwater and "Pellkartoffeln" (Pelle = peel) are the jacket ones, but they are usually peeled before serving.

You'll get the latter with finer foods such as asparagus, and the latter with heartier fare, such as Matjes herring or other fish.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Years ago, I had a young French girl as a lodger for 3 months. She used to cook all her potatoes in their skins then remove the skin after cooking. She said that it kept the flavour and nutrients in the potato and you didn't have to take any of the flesh off when you took the skins off.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Pellkartoffeln!!! Axel is a fan. :lol:

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:37 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Deeply jealous of the Pembroke new potatoes - the bestest!

if you grow your own potatoes, when outside of pembrokeshire, those earlies are the variety 'lady christl' - as jersey royals are 'international kidney'.
they are both freely available as seed.

i associate linseed oil with lacrosse stick maintenance.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:25 pm

i associate linseed oil with lacrosse stick maintenance.

And I think of cricket bats... :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:13 pm

Pampy wrote:Years ago, I had a young French girl as a lodger for 3 months. She used to cook all her potatoes in their skins then remove the skin after cooking. She said that it kept the flavour and nutrients in the potato and you didn't have to take any of the flesh off when you took the skins off.

My mother was very annoyed when I was making sauté potatoes and I did that as the first stage - she reckoned she could have saved weeks of her life but doing that and not peeling them first!

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:41 pm

staying with a dutch friend in haarlem, cooked potatoes were served to the table in a bowl, boiled in their skins, we took what we wanted and peeled them on our plate. i was told it was done because you don't know what's on the skin. i didn't really buy that one as whatever chemicals were on the surface would have then been in the water and then into the potatoes as the skin split.
i like eating the skins - the dutch were horrified.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:56 pm

scullion wrote:if you grow your own potatoes, when outside of pembrokeshire, those earlies are the variety 'lady christl' - as jersey royals are 'international kidney'.

That's good to know Scully - Ta Muchly !!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox