Register

Frankfurt Green Sauce

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Frankfurt Green Sauce

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:39 pm

I have just come back here right now to check the recipe. Herbs are washed and ready.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Dish names often seem to arise with no obvious connections down the road but may come from earlier logic - where a dish arose for e.g. or where it became popular, or a regional or local style, a person or chef or establishment that originated it or enthusiastically
adopted it or a connection with another dish. Hamburger springs to mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sauce

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes, the Frankfurter recipe is specifically made with 7 herbs.
As I said earlier, I don't like lovage, and use a different herb if making the trad. Frankfurter version.
It is important to chop the stuff to, & not blend it.

Let us know how you get on, Herbi.
And what you serve it with.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:43 pm

I used salad burnet, borage, parsley, chives, cress, chervil and sorrel.

I's nice and green :)

I tasted it and thought it was quite nice but not amazing, then found myself reaching for the spooin to lick. It's that sort of thing! :)

Husband worked in Karlsruhe, not far from Frankfurt for over a year (I passed through Frankfurt (airport) so many times, but never got to visit the city, alas), but he hadn't come across it. He's not really a foody though.

This is really making me want to travel. New and unusual (to me) foods... it's one thing to find a recipe and make it, but unless you have it at its point of origin, you can't be sure it tastes just how it should. (Slightly different ingredients etc.) I am glad he's home (and thank goodness he was for Coivd) but it was quite fun visiting him and meeting up in other cities in Europe when he worked, on and off, in Germany.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:00 pm

I've never tried it in Frankfurt either, although Tony lived there for 4 years, and was so desperate for me to replicate it, I grew lovage, sorrel, lemon balm, salad burnett, chervil etc.

I prefer the modern version with basil and parsley dill etc.
To the above traditional one.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:08 pm

I am a bit tempted to add a bit of garlic to it now we've had a taste of it in its (possibly) authentic guise, and make it into a chilled soup. (Not that it's the weather for such things now.)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:53 am

Go forrit. You'll probably find it has more ooomph with the garlic.
I'm not a cold soup lover mind.

Tell me, what did you have it with?
My favourite is boiled eggs and chips, as intended.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:43 am

We had some nice Pembrokeshire new potatoes which I boiled - seems to be traditional way to consume it. I used up the last of my eggs making it!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 pm

I have added some Bart's smoked garlic paste to it :) (The smoked garlic paste is delicious btw. I am tempted to have some on toast with butter, later.)

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Deeply jealous of the Pembroke new potatoes - the bestest!

I grow all the herbs except salad burnett - don't think I've tried that - is it worth growing ?

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:55 pm

The potatoes were very nice. I wish I had bought more.

I've not used salad burnet for anything else. It's quite a tall plant. Quite attractive I think. Reddish flowers. It's growing amongst my rosemary bush so not taking up much room (although I suspect it would be a better plant if it were not growing amongst my rosemary bush...)

Postby Uschi » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:33 am

I did not see this before.

There are many ways of making it outside of the prescribed tradition. I know that onion greens are used or garlic chives (or ramson) and many people don't like lovage as a fresh herb (it is superb when flavouring soups or boiled potatoes).

The ratio of herbs will also be different from household to household. And not every herb garden has everything at the same time.

My mother came from Central Germany, near Göttingen, on the boder of Hesse. They make "chive sauce", sweet or sour cream with a good dash of herby vinegar, salt and pepper and lots and lots of chives. Other herbs are possible, but the stress is on the chives. I call it farm fast food as the farmers wife could hurry home, put on the potatoes, mix the sauce and boil the eggs and twenty minutes later the hungry hordes could be fed.

As for cress, if you haven't got cress seeds, then mustard seeds drizzled onto a bed of wet cotton wool will work remarkably well. It takes 3 to 5 days for them to be ready for harvest. Nasturtium leaves and flowers work, too.

Postby miss mouse » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Uschi wrote:and many people don't like lovage as a fresh herb (it is superb when flavouring soups or boiled potatoes).

I love lovage, sadly the slugs and snails eat it fast.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:40 pm

I love it, too, although I would only use it in homeopathic amounts in a salad or in green sauce.

I always thought the stuff was indestructable, coming up year after year .... until this year. The weevil larvae made short work of it.

Postby miss mouse » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:28 pm

Uschi wrote:I love it, too, although I would only use it in homeopathic amounts in a salad or in green sauce.

I always thought the stuff was indestructable, coming up year after year .... until this year. The weevil larvae made short work of it.

Yes indeed to the wild scattering of Lovage, it makes its presence felt.

I know it isn't indestructible see the slug attack but weevils as well...I found a weevil drowning in a water butt, I rescued it then trod on it. Oh heck, not another weevil invasion.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 pm

The first thing the would-be gardeners said today was “We’ll get rid of that for you love”. I agree it’s not very attractive but my lovage bush does smell nice.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Lovage goes really well chopped over potatoes - my plant has been attacked by critters this year too - it's strange - some years they leave it well alone, like last year, & it thrived all season.

miss mouse wrote:.I found a weevil drowning in a water butt, I rescued it then trod on it.

That'll teach him....!!!! :lol:

Postby Uschi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:29 pm

We had another "farm fast-food" dish last night, which is a relative Frankfürter Grüne Soße:

Pellkartoffeln mit Quark und Leinöl = Jacket (boiled) Potatoes with Quark and Linseed Oil

It may not sound great, but I love it. The Quark in question used to be mixed with some milk to soften it, but we use yoghurt and creme fraiche. Then salt and pepper to taste ( and per person ) one tblsp of pumpkinseed oil (for the umami flavour), two spring onions, finely chopped plus whatever herb may be in season. Parsley, dill, cress, chives, ramson, keep it coming.

The potatoes are skinned before serving, and each person gets a generous helping of the herby quark into which one presses some indentations with a spoon which are then filled with the linseed oil.

Now, sit back for a moment and enjoy the sight of the golden pools of linseed oil in the green quark Magic1 and then attack the dish. A wonderful summer's dish, quickly made and jolly healthy as well as delicious.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:16 pm

Uschi wrote:The potatoes are skinned before serving,

I'll never forget one of our early German au pairs who was absolutely horrified that we actually ate the skin on boiled potatoes! Although I had only ever eaten potatoes without the skin in Germany before, I had absolutely no idea what a "no-no" it was to even consider eating it!! I don't know if it's a regional thing, Uschi? Maybe different Laender have different customs?

Forgot to say that the one au pair with whom we are still very much in touch with was actually converted to eating the skins :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:19 pm

I associate linseed oil with hockey sticks :)

It sounds lovely, Uschi.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox