Register

Burgers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Burgers

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:25 pm

Talking of veggie burgers ... back in the day (60/70s) Burger King beanburgers were my absolute favourite , tasty and firm with lots of beany texture ... so much nicer than the thin discs of chewy cardboard that masqueraded as beefburgers back then ...... but I've tried Burger King beanburgers relatively recently and been so disappointed ...sloppy slithery gloopy and most unpleasant with no texture or flavour. I wish I could find a recipe like the old Burger King beanburgers

However, (and I'm blaming Gruney for this) in yesterday's first supermarket trip since March '19 I was smitten by the 'come hither-ness' of a pack of W'rose Aberdeen Angus burgers on special offer .......... I've made a huge vat of coleslaw and there are soft rich bread rolls in the oven ........ that's supper this evening organised :thumbsup

Edited to change Wimpy to Burger King ... why did I put Wimpy? Must be getting old : :roll:
Last edited by Suffs on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:03 pm

KKA, I hate chickpeas unfortunately , would black beans work instead

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Back to the veggie burgers!
I made a batch of them last week and had one for breakfast today ( NO bun!) with two poached eggs, some sliced avocado and some hot sauce I made on Tuesday.
I´m ready to face the day now!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:50 pm

I think I may have discovered a great burger bun, but not that widely available - a chollah or challah roll, very light, soft but not too soft, not sweet

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:58 pm

I quite like lamb or venison burgers, our butcher does little minced lamb kebabs which are effectively burgers. I would agree that tzatziki is essential! Regarding veggie burgers the Cranks (I think) lentil ones with cheese, peanut butter and Marmite are nice, as indeed are The Blessed Delia's chiladas. Has anyone tried Jack Monroe's beanburgers? Like Delia's, they contain carrot and seasonings but are based on tinned kidney beans rather than lentils. I've always meant to make them but haven't got a round tuit.

In a Suffolk pub a couple of years ago (OK it's probably 3 or 4) I had a mackerel fillet served as a burger. Utterly brilliant.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:14 pm

We make our own a lot and have a burger press.
We are now naked burger eaters. I don't have bread generally, or butter.
Loaded with gherkins, tomatoes, red onions,
chilli, and skinny fries on the side

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm

To add to my post on the previous page, although lentils were used originally, I find any pulses will do. I sometimes make them with drained tins of mixed pulses. Always good. The chopped walnuts are a must.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:13 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think I may have discovered a great burger bun, but not that widely available - a chollah or challah roll, very light, soft but not too soft, not sweet

Think I've seen them at Wrose down the road, but not difficult to make ... hmmm ... perhaps next week ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:24 pm

I nearly always have a burger in a bun, partly habit or tradition, but also I don’t make fries or wedges just for me so I need something as a filler and to soak up juices and sauces

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox