Register

Breakfast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Breakfast

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:45 am

In Myanmar the national dish is mohinga a thick fish stew served with noodles and crisp fritters, often for breakfast and I ate it in Mandalay (no flying fishes were harmed in this meal)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... on-sisters

I have quite often eaten an omelette masala, sometimes rolled in a chapatti for brunch, or a dosa if I go out

I rediscovered rösti last year, a simple brunch without toast or meat being one baking potato made into a rösti cake and topped with two fried eggs, and ketchup

Sometimes I have marmite toast topped with a poached egg or toast topped with avocado or banana

Postby mistakened » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm

There is a picture of breakfast on local social media, grilled Halloumi plus sliced tomato and cucumber as expected, plus a bowl of chips and a bottle of KEO !

Moira

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:41 pm

mistakened wrote:There is a picture of breakfast on local social media, grilled Halloumi plus sliced tomato and cucumber as expected, plus a bowl of chips and a bottle of KEO !

Moira

Is that not traditional then Moira? :lol: :lol: .

Postby mistakened » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:42 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:mistakened wrote:
There is a picture of breakfast on local social media, grilled Halloumi plus sliced tomato and cucumber as expected, plus a bowl of chips and a bottle of KEO !

Moira

Is that not traditional then Moira? .

The Russians usually have a bottle of wine :wino

Moira

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:09 pm

On Crete, leisurely breakfast for the elderly locals was a small cup of tar-like black coffee and a shot of raki (Turkish origin, very high ABV). And repeat. Now that's a proper breakfast :)

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:02 pm

In Indonesia, congee, (rice porridge), is a popular breakfast for locals, for tourists then banana pancakes!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:34 pm

There was a Spanish guy who at the next table to us on the Costa Brava, many years ago

Every morning he would take slices of bread from the basket, very carefully prepare them with plenty of olive oil, a touch of vinegar and salt and pepper, forming a stack of 4 or 5. He accompanied this with a large steak served au bleu and a couple of glasses of heavy duty red wine

His rather glamourous wife sat opposite in bath robe and towel turban, averting her gaze from the blood and sipping café cortado

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:In Indonesia, congee, (rice porridge), is a popular breakfast for locals, for tourists then banana pancakes!

The reason for me embarking in full on a very savoury breakfast was as a result of living in Cambodia for a year. Breakfast there was rice with crispy pork (which OH loved and said it was just the equivalent of a bacon sarnie. The other popular option was a soup with a few noodles. That’s what I went for and realised that I had found my thing after years of not liking traditional breakfast.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 pm

Brekkie for hub is normally 2 slices of toast with jam or marmalade. I sometimes have 1 slice or sometimes nothing, especially if last nights supper was large, just not hungry. Sometimes if I do have something for brekkie, I get the munchies and can't stop. I do like granola on the odd occasion with creamy milk but only have half a mugful.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 am

Rocky, Cambodia has rice porridge too, as you experienced, there's a recipe for the Cambodian type in Rick Stein's Far Eastern Oddysey, which I have made, albeit about ten years ago.
Different versions are very popular all over the region.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:02 am

I distinctly remember watching the fishermen coming in to Ornos beach, Mykonos, around 10am. they´d have fish, seafood and their favourite, sea urchins, washed down with bottles of Retsina.
I never tried it then, but I´d love to give it a go now!

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:23 am

When we stayed with a Sri Lankan family, the cook made hoppers for breakfast. They were somewhat like a light pancake from memory.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox