Register

Pesto

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pesto

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:54 am

I do that with big tomato halves LTC, pesto, crumbs and a touch of extra evoo if the crumbs are dry

Never thought of doing it with mushrooms, sounds good. Would be nice with halved round courgettes I think, make a change from stuffing them

I sometime pot a bit in the dressing for a tomato salad if there’s a jar open and no fresh basil

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Oh never thought of big tomatoes done that way, thanks Sue :yum

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Uses: On bruschetta or crouton fingers with mushroom/toms; with hardboiled eggs or eggy pies/flans; as dip or drizzle with plain pizza or pissaladiere; as dressing on warm new spuds or baked ones; spread inside salad-filled pita bread or picnic loaves/ciabatta torpedoes or with veg meze platter; in/on some soups; and the grand finale: stirred into bog standard Branston baked beans.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm

We use it in sarnies, omelettes, with scrambled egg, on new potatoes. We like it with roast cauliflower. Dennis Cotter, whose recipe I use as a basic starting point suggests using it as a sauce for risotto, fritters, roasted veg, grilled cheese.

Some fabulous ideas here :thumbsup It really is incredibly versatile, isn't it :yum

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Amyw wrote:Out of interest what does everyone use their pesto from apart from pasta ? I like stuffed chicken with pesto and mozzarella and cod smeared in pesto is very good too

I like it in potato salad. Wild garlic pesto works particularly well. Nice with baked fish too.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks Mark, these all look good :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:11 am

Quite a bit of mine gets eaten by the spoonful every time I go into the fridge... :?

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Thanks mark111757 - all variation ideas welcome here :)

Looking at the shakshuka recipe you linked, I'm wondering if Australian smoked paprika is special, or more like cayenne, as only 1/4 teaspoon is listed for two cans of toms. Maybe it's a mistake as that amount of "our" smoked paprika would make no difference at all.
Egg+toms+pesto is a great match though.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:18 pm

herbidacious wrote:Quite a bit of mine gets eaten by the spoonful every time I go into the fridge... :?

Ditto here, Herbi!! :lol: :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suelle » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Amyw wrote:Parsley walnut and feta sounds amazing . Out of interest what does everyone use their pesto from apart from pasta ? I like stuffed chicken with pesto and mozzarella and cod smeared in pesto is very good too

I like to put pesto on top of salmon, then pressing in panko breadcrumbs before baking.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox