Register

Tilapia

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tilapia

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:01 pm

I've mentioned before that our Morrison's are starting to get job lots of fish species they've never had before. Today's was Tilapia. I was tempted to try it, but I had plans for a haddock fillet, so I passed it by. The lad behind the counter, who is normally very helpful, didn't know much about it, so what do you think? I normally have fish pan fried.

Re: Tilapia

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 pm

It's another name for St Peter's fish and Nile tilapia when farmed - which it mostly is - but it's also known by many other names. Usually pretty inexpensive smallish freshwater fish, softish fleshed, slightly dull to muddy flavour. Well, not a lot of flavour tbh. A local Mex restaurant serves them deep fried whole, which I ordered once, not knowing what fish it was and thinking I was going to get a red snapper or similar so surprised and disappointed. Fillets are more usual, which I've cooked and eaten. Some people like it. I don't much care for it. I think the price is basically what's going for it.
There you have it. My two pence worth. :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

Well, you did ask. 8-) Give it a try.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Try and see what you think, it tends to be a river farmed fish and will have travelled a long way (often SE Asia or Egypt), but it is regarded as a sustainable fish. Like basa lots of bad press over the years but standards of feeding/environment have improved I think. Personally I'm not keen but apart from trout and salmon I'm not overly keen on freshwater fish even when freshly caught. It does IMHO have slightly better texture than basa which I find too soft but I find it very bland tasting so best with other stronger flavours. I much prefer pollock as a cheapish white fish option to pan fry though it isn't everyone's cup of tea as more grey fleshed/stronger tasting than cod/haddock/whiting etc.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:33 pm

I tried it once before but found it pretty poor . I’ve never heard anyone really like it , average at best . Give it a go I guess , at that price it’s not going to be a disaster if you don’t like it .

You never know , you might be one of those rare finds … a tilapia fan ?!

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks all - I'm glad I asked. It certainly seems to lack the "WOW" factor. I'll leave it where it is.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:10 am

Late to the argument but I've tried it too - I found it very muddy and actually ended up leaving most of it - which I just don't do with fish.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:02 am

It’s sold because it’s popular in some cultures and as others have said an inexpensive farmed freshwater fish

It’s more like basa aka Mekong or Vietnamese catfish I think than any other fish you are likely to have had in the UK probably ok for fried fish curry but not ideal for most familiar dishes made with sea fish

ETA I did a bit more reading, apparently one of their big advantages is you can feed them a vegetarian diet of pond weed and algae, so that’s how they can be farmed cheaply, and obvious eco advantages if done well. I am liking them better now.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 am

i think that tilapia are more available, now, because they are the fish that's often used in aquaponics - they put up with 'less fresh' water (their own waste) that feeds the plants growing in the system.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 am

Stokey Sue wrote:It’s more like basa aka Mekong or Vietnamese catfish

That's what was dimly at the back of my mind - I recall a thread long ago on the BBC site, where it got a real kicking.

Thanks all - I'm glad I left it where it was.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:28 am

scullion wrote:i think that tilapia are more available, now, because they are the fish that's often used in aquaponics - they put up with 'less fresh' water (their own waste) that feeds the plants growing in the system.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:43 pm

I bought tilapia once or twice years ago and found there was so little flesh on them that they weren't as cheap as they seemed, plus I'm not good with bones. The Wikipedia link earlier says 30% or up to 47% yield for some whereas I expect 65-75% if costing a typical sea fish or salmon. Also, mine were oily fish (like mackerel) which I hadn't initially expected.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

I'll have to give Tilapia a go. Must admit I rather like 'muddy' fish. I'm quite partial to Basa.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 pm

I have had it before and didn't object. I have been rather put off by some of the descriptions here and am glad I tried it first! I seem to remember it as a not very robust fish and think I must have had fillets as I don't remember bones. I quite like Basa but again, a light sort of fish.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Tilapia from an aquaponics facility quite near me was Nadiya's first choice for her fish curry, which looked rather good, I'd give it a go, it is quite similar to a Burmese fried fish curry (not surprising, Bangladesh and Myanmar have a land border)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fish ... with_84873

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Re Nadiya, a lot of my Indian friends use tilapia as their fish of choice. (Yes, I know her roots are in Bangladesh).

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Our local curry house uses tilapia in their fish masala. I've always enjoyed that. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:33 pm

I think that S/SE Asian technique of frying the fish then giving it a quick bath in the sauce possibly evolved because it suits the texture of these freshwater fish?

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:12 pm

I see there's a fair showing of tilapia escabeche, typically described as deep fried whole seasoned fish with a crispy skin (to eat I reckon), with sweet and sour sauce including peppers, carrot, ginger etc. A recipe at random:
http://www.pinoykusinero.com/2014/03/ti ... beche.html

So again, another version with strong flavours, which is clearly the popular way to go. I'm tempted to try one again now...

Incidentally, I don't recall it tasting muddy but then I doubt I'd ever heard that description, so my reaction was more like "Well it ain't cod." No internet back then so I didn't know not to treat it like cod. Now I do. :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm

I'm going to have to get some out of idle curiosity, but I am guessing that fish raised in a well-managed aquaponic "farm" wouldn't taste muddy, it would depend on water quality and the exact diet I suspect

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Since it's useful to know where the bones are, here's a 1min video of a tilapia skellington:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVL_tukNLk8

I've failed dismally to find out if they have hair bones.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox