Register

Crustless quiche

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Crustless quiche

Postby Binky » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:08 pm

We've never made one but fancy quiche and salad for dinner tonight.

I've looked at two recipes - one has standard quiche filling but the other uses flour in the recipe.

Has anyone tried either type of 'crustless quiche' and has advice to share?

Re: Crustless quiche

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

I have made them a couple of times, never used flour, but in my experience they have a much higher proportion of egg to dairy than a normal quiche filling, so they are firm enough to slice without the pastry to hold them together

The Slimming World version uses 100g cottage cheese or quark to 6 eggs
https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes ... tte-quiche

I think the ones with flour are the "impossible pie" type, the batter does split to form a crust like layer on the bottom

Postby Suelle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:53 pm

The crustless quiche recipes I've looked at just use eggs, and don't add milk, which would make the filling robust enough to survive without a pastry case.

One of my favourite summer recipes is for the infamous Australian 'Courgette Slice', which could perhaps be described as a cross between a crustless quiche, a frittata and a savoury cake. It contains vegetable oil as well as flour.

The result is something sturdier than a frittata, which makes it really useful for picnics or other forms of outdoor eating.

This is the recipe I use:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2018/ ... herbs.html
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 pm

It sounds a bit like the Meissen cheesecake that Uschi introduced us to. That has no pastry, or biscuit base. It's held together with egg yolk and a bit of semolina, with the beaten egg whites stirred in at the last minute. Holds up well.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:48 am

Suelle wrote:The crustless quiche recipes I've looked at just use eggs, and don't add milk, which would make the filling robust enough to survive without a pastry case.

One of my favourite summer recipes is for the infamous Australian 'Courgette Slice', which could perhaps be described as a cross between a crustless quiche, a frittata and a savoury cake. It contains vegetable oil as well as flour.

The result is something sturdier than a frittata, which makes it really useful for picnics or other forms of outdoor eating.

This is the recipe I use:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2018/ ... herbs.html

Not sure why you call it 'infamous' Suelle!!

Usually called 'Zucchini slice' over here - lots more Italians around than French people!!
I've made it a lot in the past - kids love it (I like it too) and it's good cold for picnics or snacks.
You can sneak other veggies in too - I add mushrooms and use spinach if I don't have zucchini.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:44 am

I usually add less liquid to a quiche than one is supposed to anyway. I find eggs and a generous splash of milk is fine for a crustless quiche. No flour as the whole point is to reduce carb in my case but I do like the look of the 'souffle' version.

I have only recently started making these and like it more than I thought I did. What do people cook theirs in? I tend to use a ceramic dish and serve straight from it but imagine you'd need baking parchment or something if you wanted to transport it for a picnic. The mixture would be too liquid for a loose based tin.

Postby Suelle » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am

Perhaps I should have said 'famous', Rainbow. :D

It's something that every Australian seems to know, but hardly anyone here has heard of, and it's so good!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:...
The mixture would be too liquid for a loose based tin.

A commenter re a runny recipe elsewhere said to turn the base upside down in a springform tin as that helped stop leaks. Might be worth a try?

I use a Pyrex dish as it's the right size and height, rather than for any preferential reason. It probably needs 5mins longer than tin but otherwise works OK. I line the base and if feeling diligent leave a paper handle each side.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:41 pm

I’ve never used flour . Either eggs with very little milk, or instead of milk I use quark or cottage cheese , the only worthwhile use I’ve found for it !!

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:00 am

Suelle wrote:Perhaps I should have said 'famous', Rainbow. :D

It's something that every Australian seems to know, but hardly anyone here has heard of, and it's so good!

So only famous in Oz!!
I didn't realise that - and I agree, it is good and very versatile :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:35 am

I´ve been wondering ( and I do that sometimes :gonzo :gonzo .)
Isn´t a crustless quiche an oxymoron? 8-) 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:23 am

I bought a crustless quiche from Morrison’s that turned out to have a disc of pastry - in fact a soggy bottom - underneath but no side walls. I was rather disappointed

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:45 am

Well, that's not crustless is it?!

I wondered if they started selling them with that name so that more people might unconsciously think it was 'slimming' than if it was marketed as a frittata. I first heard the term at Slimming World and think it grew from there. Now that so many are on low carb diets I think a crust base for something named 'crustless' would annoy a lot of people. It sounds unpleasant enough to leave without feeling either guilty or deprived.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Nigel has one today, though calls it a baked omelette ;) https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... a-omelette

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:19 pm

liketocook wrote:Nigel has one today, though calls it a baked omelette ;) https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... a-omelette

I would call that an omelette, as he does start with an oil and butter mix in a frying pan, and only egg in the batter, no dairy

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
liketocook wrote:Nigel has one today, though calls it a baked omelette ;) https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... a-omelette

I would call that an omelette, as he does start with an oil and butter mix in a frying pan, and only egg in the batter, no dairy

True I hadn't thought it through that far :oops: but it does sound really tasty :)

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 pm

so that mean that the only difference between it and an omelet is where it's been cooked, then, rather than any ingredient difference?
and it's a synonym for a frittata?
can you call it that if you've scraped the filling out of a quiche?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:09 pm

:lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:19 am

can you call it that if you've scraped the filling out of a quiche?

And who gets to eat all the delicious pastry? :gonzo :gonzo

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 am

Tbh I don't care what it's called as long as it tastes good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a carton of eggs that are OOD and some lurking fridge bits. I'm going to make a pastryless baked eggy thingy for lunch. :D

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox