Register

smoked salmon quiche

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

smoked salmon quiche

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:15 pm

Evening all!

I plan to make a smoked salmon quiche tomorrow and wondered if you've got any fave recipes! OH will go out and get some dill (hopefully!) and watercress tomorrow morning when he gets the paper as they both seem to be rather nice additions in the recipes I've seen and/or in the salad that will probably go with it.
I've got ready-rolled shortcrust that I will roll a bit thinner than it comes from the shop.

Thanks!

Re: smoked salmon quiche

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Don't think I've ever used a recipe as such, just the usual pastry case, smoked salmon offcuts, a sprinkling of dill or parsley over them, the usual cream & egg mixture and good seasoning of pepper (offcuts are usually salty enough with much extra) :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:37 pm

Yep - sounds good. I´d use cream cheese instead of straight cream. It adds a bit extra.

Postby aero280 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:43 pm

I make an occasional smoked salmon quiche, with watercress. It's based on a Nigel Slater one, but he uses fresh salmon which he cooks. Using the same quantities as his make the quiche too strong and salty, so I have cut back on the smoked salmon by half. I use the Loch Fyne smoked salmon trimmings from Costco which are about one-third of the cost of the "posh" stuff. :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:54 am

I don't know if you are using onion in your quiche.
But I like to use leek instead.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:50 am

I was just going to say leeks too . I probably wouldn’t use watercress and dill in the quiche but maybe dill in the filling and a watercress salad on the side . I haven’t made a proper quiche for ages … might have to rectify soon

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:59 pm

You´ve just given me an idea for Sunday lunch. Haven´t got any smoked salmon, but I HAVE got some frozen fillets, so I´m going to have a go at a quiche / tart for lunch. I´m thinking some tiny Colombian potatoes and some braised fennel to accompany...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Sounds lovely, KKA!

Have just put the pastry for mine in the freezer for half an hour ...

I haven't got any leeks but wasn't planning to use any onions - but nice idea for the next onw :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Wife said no to leeks :shock: ( she hates anything to do with "raw" onions, garlic or leeks) so I had to use a small amount of onion, which had to be cooked to smithereens.
No smoked salmon, so I used a few drops of liquid smoke 8-)
No fennel available, so its gleen bleens.
I´ll send a photo when it´s done.

Postby Pommes » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:13 pm

This is one of my favourite dishes & is perfect to take on a summer picnic. My recipe is loosely based on Raymond Blanc's Soufflé tart, but I have tweaked it endlessly & the last one is always the best.
Instead of using eggs & milk/cream etc, it uses a thick roux/white sauce mixture, with a small amount of chopped shallot/onion/leek to start it. Then add 2/3 egg yolks, chopped dill/fennel, lots of grated gruyère, & finally fold in the whisked egg whites. This time I blanched some broccoli florets & placed them on top of the smoked salmon before adding the soufflé mixture. Grated cheese on top. Bake.
Bon Appétit!

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:30 pm

:yum :yum :yum :yum :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Well the quiche was really delicious. No milk used in the "custard", just cream mixed with the eggs. It was light, tasty and fresh. Definitely worth repeating.
Smoked Salmon quiche.jpg
Smoked Salmon quiche.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 2294 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:50 pm

Gosh, so many ways of making a smoked salmon tart!

I find smoked salmon strong enough without onion etc but think cream cheese sounds a rather nice addition - possibly some wilted spinach too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm

Yes, EM - there must have been at least two dozen really appealing recipes on google as well. Some used milk & eggs, others, milk cream & eggs, others cream and cream cheese. Then there were some interesting additions, such as spinach, Swiss chard, watercress and even rocket.
As I mentioned before, I didn´t have any smoked salmon; just some small pieces of a whole fillet, but I´d imagine the intensity of smoked salmon would need to be considered when constructing the recipe. I wonder whether a mixture of smoked & fresh might be interesting?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:36 pm

Ours was tasty, too although it tasted better than it looked! In the end I went for a very light option, lots of dill, milk and egg custard rather than cream as the salmon itself can be quite rich.
We had a mixed green salad with it - iceberg, rocket and watercress.

I would have thought that a combo of smoked and fresh salmon could be really successful, KKA.

Pommes, yours sounds gorgeous :yum

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox