Register

Family Names for Dishes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Family Names for Dishes

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:14 pm

My mum used to make a bechamel, add cooked mushrooms and serve it on toast.
I still make it, it was my lunch today, and we call it " mushrooms a la Wordsworth"

My neighbour has a husband, 2 daughters and a son who all play rugby.
During an over-the-fence chat she told a child to go and help herself to the leftover rugby pasta if she was hungry.

In case you are like me and not familiar with rugby pasta, it is penne, covered with chilli, topped with cheese and placed in the oven.

Might have to make it even though we are only rugby spectators.

Re: Family Names for Dishes

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Ha, years ago when the boys were little and OH was working at the Aldeburgh Festival, I bought some mini bakewell tarts at the bakers. When we were back in London I went round Chiswick Sainsbury's to try to get some more but couldn't for the life of me remember what their real name was - we had christened them "Aldeburgh Tarts" ... needless to say, the assistants couldn't help :lol: :lol:

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:11 pm

When he was 2, grandson loved my fish pie, only he called it pish pie. It's still called that.
And, as a kid, i called my mum's chips burnt potatoes. They were ever thus till she died.

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:40 pm

"Green" pasta is a chez LTC favourite so called because my younger son as a child used to be fussy about green veg if he could identify it. ;)
Broccoli (or peas), spinach, pesto and a little cream or cream cheese blitzed to a smooth sauce then served over pasta.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 pm

I think most of ours are mispronunciations

Wen I was about 3 Annie-next-door called sausages sorridges, and they have been that ever since chez Stokey

What was funny was I heard a former boyfriend (very long former, converted to old friend) refer to them as that at a barbeque, neither he nor his partner know where it came from, but they say it!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07 pm

My mum used to make something called " Cheese Pie". Definitely not a pie, because there was no pastry involved; just mashed potatoes and cheese.
In our house, the kids´ favourite dish was " Heart Attack Potatoes". scalloped potatoes, cream, CheezWhiz, bacon, topped with more potatoes and covered in strips of bacon.
AArrgghh!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:53 pm

We used to have 'Dustbin Omelette' - an omelette containing any veg, cheese or meat that needed using up. I was told to call it 'Spanish Omelette' if discussing it elsewhere!

Cheese Pie sounds similar to the Cheese and Potato Pie we used to serve in our wholefood restaurant. The mix was packed into a pyrex dish and topped with grated cheese which was then baked in the oven. Delicious!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Yellow potatoes for me. When I was young I used to ask mum to make yellow potatoes, which is turnip (swede to those that call it that :lol: ) and potatoes mashed. In fact I had that tonight with mince.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 pm

Digestives are Dai Jeffries in our house, thanks to DD when she was young.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:20 am

Smudge! When my children were really young, I had to make dinner, one Saturday evening. I didn't think they'd be impressed with mince, onions, carrots, potatoes etc., so I mashed it all together, added a tin of baked beans, and added an attractive swirl of ketchup. They asked me what it was called - I, very encouragingly, said "Smudge". Still no enthusiasm. Then the stroke of genius - I told them it was what the cowboys used to eat. They couldn't get enough of it! I still make it.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:26 am

karadekoolaid wrote:My mum used to make something called " Cheese Pie". Definitely not a pie, because there was no pastry involved; just mashed potatoes and cheese.

I know it well! We call it Cheese Pie too. It's lovely with baked beans. :yum

Nasi Goreng is always known as 'Holiday Rice' in our house.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:54 am

"Cheese Pie" here too was a regular Thursday (day before payday) dinner when I was growing up and either had fried onions stirred through the mix or tomato slices baked on the top. Always served with beans :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:57 am

We still call baguette "line bread" ...

Postby Linnet » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:We used to have 'Dustbin Omelette' - an omelette containing any veg, cheese or meat that needed using up. I was told to call it 'Spanish Omelette'

On a similar theme we have 'fridge bottom soup', with all/any tired veg.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:40 pm

When my daughter lived at home, every Chrstmas I made a stuffing know to us as "Murderers stuffing", named as it it contains blended chicken livers which looks like someone has been murdered in the blender!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:28 pm

We have 'Nanny Mince' in this house ... It's my daughter's favourite way of cooking mince but nothing unique, just mince, gravy, chopped onions and carrots and slow cooked .. Mum would have baked it in the oven :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:55 pm

We still use the name "granny chips" even though grandma died in 1989! She always used to part-cook meat when she received it and always used the fat to cook her chips - they were (and still are) the best we've ever eaten!

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:00 pm

We have 'Granny Stuffing' (my grandmother's stuffing recipe) whenever we have a roast chicken. It's just breadcrumbs, thyme, salt & pepper mixed with melted butter but it's still lovely.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:13 pm

There’s also eggy mush

Is it piperade? Shakshuka? Not committing, but it’s definitely lunch

Came to me from BF’s family

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:46 pm

A lot of child hood dishes had welsh names; potatoes and swede/ carrots was ponch maip or stwnch. Oen (pronounced owen) was lamb. Selsig was sausages, welsh rarebit was caws ar dost and eat it all was mange tout (well, I jest a little with the last bit)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox