Register

Restaurant pricing

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Restaurant pricing

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am

We were discussing this on Sunday - the £10 glass of pub wine reached London some time ago which for a 250ml measure means £30 a bottle, restaurant price

I think, and I know some restaurant owners do too, that part of the problem with no-shows is online booking. If you phone and speak to someone who tells you their name and that they look forward to meeting you, it feels real and you feel a little bit involved with the place. But people will make 3 online bookings so they can decide which appeals on the night in much the same way as they might bookmark 3 or 4 videos to choose from.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 am

Following on from my post about qualifications for professions, it seems that the NHS is looking to fill nursing posts with people who are not fully trained.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... nion-warns

Postby Binky » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 am

Stokey Sue wrote:We were discussing this on Sunday - the £10 glass of pub wine reached London some time ago which for a 250ml measure means £30 a bottle, restaurant price

I think, and I know some restaurant owners do too, that part of the problem with no-shows is online booking. If you phone and speak to someone who tells you their name and that they look forward to meeting you, it feels real and you feel a little bit involved with the place. But people will make 3 online bookings so they can decide which appeals on the night in much the same way as they might bookmark 3 or 4 videos to choose from.

Sue, the only way round this is to take a deposit when bookings are made.

We wouldn't mind paying a deposit as we fully intend to honour our reservation(s) but it would deter the selfish 'no shows'. They could at least ring to cancel so that the table can be used for other diners, and if they don't give adequate notice they lose their deposit. Tough.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm

It's the norm these days in hairdressers etc where missed lengthy appointments cost the salon money, usually appointments may be cancelled up to 48 hours beforehand. I really don't see the problem, anyone wanting to go would accept it. It's sad to lose a deposit if you are unwell or something but a nasty aspect of modern life where so many people have no decency.

aero - :evil: :evil: so wrong on so many counts. On the other hand, there was (and probably still is) a phase of getting everyone to go to college to learn skills which are far more effectively gained 'on the job' through apprenticeships. To get it right depending on the skill/profession to be learned matters so much. I am all for youngsters leaving school at an earlier age if they have a proper apprenticeship to go through - 5 years was the norm I think. It's false economy to skimp on training in the long run.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:11 pm

but it would deter the selfish 'no shows'. They could at least ring to cancel so that the table can be used for other diners, and if they don't give adequate notice they lose their deposit. Tough.

Absolutely. Not honouring a reservation at this moment shows, at the very least, total ignorance of what´s happening in the hospitality industry today, and at worse, arrogant disdain for those who work in pubs and restaurants. As I read somewhere, if you don´t show for a flight or a theatre booking, no money back - so why should restaurants be different in these difficult times?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 pm

Binky wrote:Sue, the only way round this is to take a deposit when bookings are made.

Yes, exactly

Postby miss mouse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm

aero280 wrote:Following on from my post about qualifications for professions, it seems that the NHS is looking to fill nursing posts with people who are not fully trained.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... nion-warns

Nurse have been being hived off for 30 years. Also medical physics, pharmacy services, cleaning services and so much more. Catering was first to go I think. Stay well everyone.

Postby Binky » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:00 pm

And to add to that there's a body called NHS Provide which is not NHS as we understand it but provides services such as blood tests, dressings maintenance and wheelchair services.

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I have personally come across.

Postby miss mouse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Binky wrote:And to add to that there's a body called NHS Provide which is not NHS as we understand it but provides services such as blood tests, dressings maintenance and wheelchair services.

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I have personally come across.

Of course, the in-house pathology services went as well

Hospitals aren't just about nurses.

I hope that everyone has seen the (yet another) patients notes being sold?

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 pm

miss mouse wrote:I hope that everyone has seen the (yet another) patients notes being sold?

Yes, thanks, miss mouse. I posted on the General Wellbeing thread a few days ago - here is the link in case people didn't see it
(viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4885&p=127351#p127351)

They announced more time for consultation yesterday, didn't they, but haven't said they'll call it off again as they had to when they last tried.

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:12 pm

Re bookings.
The ONLY place I've had to book to eat at is one of our favourite tea rooms. It's a vintage place in Shipley.

The owner knows us as regular visitors, and they also know that we WILL honour any booking we make.

No-shows do a great disservice to an industry that has struggled hard during the pandemic.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:36 am

The NHS date has been put back to the 1st September but they haven't said yet whether the date for putting in your objection is being changed too. I put mine in to the GP today.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 am

On pricing, our lunch yesterday, a chunky granary brie & bacon sarnie a good sized pot of slaw and a good portion of string fries was £7.95 sat by the canal watching the narrowboats going up and down was very good value. We were watched over by a friendly herd of cows in the next field. A nice memory to keep !

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:03 pm

In which case I won’t dare tell you what our lunch cost yesterday.

Postby Binky » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Don't be a tease. Tell us the shameful truth.

:gonzo

(my lunch was a fish finger sandwich with tomato ketchup. Cup of tea and KitKat to follow. OH was busy making shelves in his workshop so needed to do something quick. Cost under £1.00)

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Including service? £219 for 2. It’s Mayfair, it’s Jason Atherton, it’s the most fun I’ve had in ages and I had some gift vouchers. It actually cost me £39. I reserve the right to enjoy myself after this bloody awful time.

Shall I send someone round to pick you all up?

Postby Busybee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Including service? £219 for 2. It’s Mayfair, it’s Jason Atherton, it’s the most fun I’ve had in ages and I had some gift vouchers. It actually cost me £39. I reserve the right to enjoy myself after this bloody awful time.

You had a bloody good time, as long as you weren’t spend the babies formula money does it matter?

Hurrah for a return to normalish behaviours.

BB

Postby Busybee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 pm

BTW on our jaunt out yesterday we had a service station sandwich, pasta pot, two bags of crisps, one chocolate bar and a soft drink……..£12.21, now that was daylight robbery!

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Binky » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Including service? £219 for 2. It’s Mayfair, it’s Jason Atherton, it’s the most fun I’ve had in ages and I had some gift vouchers. It actually cost me £39. I reserve the right to enjoy myself after this bloody awful time.

That sounds excellent fun and, as you say, we need some enjoyment after the last year we've all endured.

Tell us what you had, in gastronomic detail, so that we may vicariously enjoy your lunch.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox