Register

Restaurant pricing

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Restaurant pricing

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Come PP, spill the beans........ or maybe you didn't have beans ???

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Read back. I did.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:45 pm

never mind restaurants, I picked up the reminder from my dentist that I am due to see the hygienist

The new post-Covid scale of charges start at £80 and go up to £300

I might need to think about this

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:58 pm

:o :o :o

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Crikey, I wonder if Denplan price es will go up? :o

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Hubb had a check up and hygienist appt. (not private) £26.50

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:00 pm

Binky wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:Including service? £219 for 2. It’s Mayfair, it’s Jason Atherton, it’s the most fun I’ve had in ages and I had some gift vouchers. It actually cost me £39. I reserve the right to enjoy myself after this bloody awful time.

Shall I send someone round to pick you all up?

That sounds excellent fun and, as you say, we need some enjoyment after the last year we've all endured.

Tell us what you had, in gastronomic detail, so that we may vicariously enjoy your lunch.

I’m hoping Foodycat took notes and will blog. The menu is on FB Wildies Food but is nothing like the number of courses we had. Am deaf as a post these days and the waiting staff all had masks on . . . .

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:13 am

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 am

Pepper Pig.
My friend and I are planning to have the premium menu at The Kitchin in August so you can add £100 to that.
It's worth it to us and saved for, and as I said right at the start of the thread, we last went for my 40th, I'm 44 this year and we missed my friends 40th as Covid.
Yes, it's amazing food, in a restaurant we now know and love, but it's also an experience, plus we don't get to see each other often as we are two hours away from Edinburgh more or less, in opposite directions. (Helensburgh and Arbroath)
You meal looked utterly amazing btw, I drooled over the photos!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 am

I quite agree with Jay Rayner but nevertheless wonder how many places will go under now that prices are going up. Anyone, apart from those in higher income brackets, will either not go or have to save harder and longer before going for a treat and thus not go so often. That goes pro rata right down the chain. It may be the places popular with lower-middle income customers which are hardest hit.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:27 am

A problem UK restaurants have compared to some other countries in Europe is the ridiculous cost of premises, and I see some hope that may change. Obviously if businesses are paying silly rents they have less money to pay staff

A case in point, Andi Oliver was priced out of her restaurant just up the road, her name was plenty of PR, the food was suited to the local trade, but they couldn’t make profit with the rent charged

The premise are currently empty so Mr Greedy isn’t getting anything :D

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:56 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
A case in point, Andi Oliver was priced out of her restaurant just up the road, her name was plenty of PR, the food was suited to the local trade, but they couldn’t make profit with the rent charged

The premise are currently empty so Mr Greedy isn’t getting anything :D

But getting rid of the commercial lease can be a problem, they seem to be quite onerous, only upward rents and if the shopkeeper decided to give up s/he cannot subsidise the new tenant.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:49 pm

I don’t understand why a shopkeeper would want to subsidise a new tenant?

If Mr Greedy owns the premises outright, which he does I understand (the previous freeholder was a friend), then he can charge any rent he can get. My understanding is that Andi was able to surrender the lease shortly after ceasing to trade

But the point is that it’s not profitable for freeholders to try to charge more than the market can take, and the more premises are left vacant, the more the market will move down, people aren’t paying rents on premises they aren’t using, they are going bankrupt instead

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:03 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I don’t understand why a shopkeeper would want to subsidise a new tenant?

If the business is losing a lot of money it might make financial sense to subsidise the rent of a new tenant, this came up locally when someone tried to surrender a lease.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Aah, I see, yes a local restaurant has been unable to surrender the lease and is subletting to other businesses, probably at a loss rather than pay to keep the place empty

Was very annoyed they left tbh, not sure why

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:22 pm

This is one of the main problems with the demise of the high street. It seems that there needs to be some sort of control to stop this stupid state of affairs to enable smaller businesses to thrive and for business premises not to all be turned into flats.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:39 am

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Arghhhhh when will the Brexiters acknowledge what they've set in train ....

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:19 pm

I've been chatting about this pizza joint round the campfire https://www.basefacepizza.com/ that a friend's son has just opened. He's a very good professional jazz bass player and he's had all his work cancelled because of covid.
It was interesting hearing about Deliveroo etc - he says it's a question of balancing it all out but he finds he really needs to charge an extra £1 for deliveroo orders as they take 30% - I knew they took a lot but didn't realise it was that much. Plus the delivery charge for the customer, obviously, so they're coining it, aren't they!!

He's also really finding it hard to recruit staff (as we've all heard in the news) - he could actually do with a chef; he does it all himself at the moment and only opens at 5 pm Wed-Fri, closed Mon & Tue.

The pizzas are very good. We'll definitely be going back!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:29 pm

I wish him luck KC2, I know the area a little, it looks like a good location

Next door tried doing their own deliveries because not keen on Deliveroo, Just Eat, but they found running it was itself real work, not as big a cost saving as expected and I think, especially for a new business, you probably miss out a lot on people browsing the Deliveroo site looking for something interesting and that extra trade might be what makes it worthwhile

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox