Register

Restaurant pricing

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Restaurant pricing

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:24 pm

It was near Victoria = Belgravia? I imagine the glasses were big ones.

Talking to OH about it, he says that the price of wine in shops has not gone up much. When I did drink last, a big glass of wine in All Bar One was about £6, which was the price of not cheap but not particularly expensive bottle of wine at the time. You can still easily get a bottle of wine for £6?

It doesn't bode well for going to work for him if he leaves the bill with T?!? (But other things don't bode well anyway...)

I am not sure that young people go into town for a night out in central London. They tend to stay local, I think and not so very many ordinary folk live in central London as they used to. That said, I didn't go into town much in the evening so I could be wrong.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:55 pm

herbidacious wrote:It doesn't bode well for going to work for him if he leaves the bill with T?!? (But other things don't bode well anyway...)

Exactly what I thought, Herbi!

Postby Busybee » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
herbidacious wrote:It doesn't bode well for going to work for him if he leaves the bill with T?!? (But other things don't bode well anyway...)

Exactly what I thought, Herbi!

Me three! Especially as one assumes if really work related he could have claimed it as an expense?

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Leaving the tab is not a good look :(

For comparison I looked at the All Bar One Covent Garden price list, £14 still looks expensive

https://www.allbarone.co.uk/content/dam ... ks_pb3.pdf

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:46 pm

My work colleagues often organised nights out in central London. They'd meet up with guys in the London area that we spoke to a lot and even at that time spent a good deal of money (and taxis, hotels, trains etc on top).

Someone I know recently had her first 'night out with the girls' locally since Covid restrictions lifted. They started with a meal which one girl paid for (probably nothing overly fancy), then to the first cocktail bar of the night where friend paid £100 for their round. Then on to several more.I'm told you can't have a night out on less than about £200 even round here and you can multiply that a few times for what they got up to in London (of course, you could but it would be considered not a 'proper' night out). The days of making a couple of pints of real ale last the evening as pockets were bare seem so long ago :lol:.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 pm

Goodness I thought Glasgow was expensive but £200 for a night out, I just couldn't bring myself too unless it was for a superb meal somewhere and even then it would have to be for a pretty special occasion. I had a look at some of the more upmarket Glasgow popular night out destinations and £8-10 is the average for a large glass of wine and around £5 for a pint.

Postby Busybee » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:31 pm

I’m either very old, very northern or just tight……….probably all three. I was appalled that a local pub was advertising Birra Moretti at £4.50 a pint, I think that’s a lot.

Having said all that, I can’t remember the last time I bought an alcoholic drink in a pub. Living where we do we have to drive to go anywhere and as I’m not a great drinker it’s invariably me who drives therefore will only be on soft drinks.

BB

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:44 pm

I ordered a glass of wine the other night and was horrified to be charged £7, although it was quite nice.
Can't remember where I was or what I ordered though.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:39 am

At the risk of being entirely smug...... we have been very happy at pricing of most of the meals eaten out over here in Rhodes. At Gennadi the other lunchtime (3pm) we ordered a plate of mixed grilled veg (HUGE) brought half home. Hub ordered a giros plate - again huge portion brought about a third home. A large Alpha beer and half a litre of red wine, the bill came to about £25 so 12.50 each and another good sized portion came home with us. So eating out here is still a very pleasant luxury. Thanks Dad :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:22 am

WWordsworth wrote:I ordered a glass of wine the other night and was horrified to be charged £7, although it was quite nice.
Can't remember where I was or what I ordered though.

I was surprised to find that in many places in Lancaster prices were almost the same as London, but much cheaper in some others, though they tended to have a smaller selection

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:33 am

I think some of the chains charge the same wherever they are? It's something I have often wondered about. Why go to All Bar One or Cafe Rouge (although I think that's now gone) or whatever in Sheffield when you can go somewhere just as nice or nicer and pay much less. I suppose the answer is obvious.
We had lunch for two out yesterday for about £28, but my drink (lime soda) was free and I suppose in a sense it was only one meal by some people's standards. I had a vegan burger and chips followed by STP. Husband only had halloumi fries (and quite a lot of my chips) and half a pint of beer. My main was £12.50
I'd had nothing to eat before it and couldn't eat dinner last night... I was actually uncomfortably full.
I suppose one thing about getting older is you can eat less than you once did. This is also quite sad.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:11 pm

herbidacious wrote:I suppose one thing about getting older is you can eat less than you once did.

Ha, I beg to differ, Herbi :lol: My appetite seems to be HUGE atm!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:38 pm

In The northwest I didn’t patronise the national chains at all, independents and a couple of small local chains run by the breweries, and I think one of the brewery chains had a basic budget selection and the other was more of a gastropub/restaurant wine list with matching prices

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
herbidacious wrote:I suppose one thing about getting older is you can eat less than you once did.

I suspect if I stop eating sweet stuff I will want to eat more 'proper food'. I was waiting until I'd had a week back in the office... :?
However I definitely can't eat as much as I once could anyway.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm

I find prices in Manchester to be very similar to London. We rarely go to chain places to eat and generally drink in brewtaps or independently owned bars. I’m not really a wine drinker and am happy to pay for good, well kept beer.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 am

£14 is very expensive. We go to the pub relatively regularly for drinks and never pay that much. A large glass is £6-7 - which isn’t cheap but a large glass is huge!

My young whipper snapper colleagues do go out in London (and all seem to live in Clapham) - but almost certainly don’t drink cocktails at those prices.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:01 pm

DS2 was horrified by the prices at the Turnberry resort - £11 for a standard pint of lager and £13 for a single measure of rum with lemonade. He knew it would be expensive but it was more than he expected.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 pm

Even worse that the profit will go to Trump! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:29 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:

Mine too :roll: :oops: :(

Postby miss mouse » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 pm

and mine.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox