Register

Restaurant pricing

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Restaurant pricing

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 pm

I have been to various more inferior eating places (garden centres, NT. etc) since lockdown rules relaxed. They are mostly hot on getting people to do the QR code but are happy to take details from those who can't do it or prefer not to. Not everyone has a mobile phone. They are also hot on getting people to go to their table via a suggested route and sticking to one way or distancing rules in place if you need to move around for any reason (eg. the loo) which might be something to keep the corner of your eye open for but most staff are both kind and polite, especially if you are too!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 pm

Whilst I have been doing the dawn raids at Tesco and now back to live Fitsteps and Zumba as well as the after class coffee, I don't feel in any way at risk. I can control how close I am to others, indeed while dancing, I keep to the back of the class, in front of the open door and have done this since the first lockdown was lifted.

However, I am still quite hesitant about eating out - well IN restaurants. You are there for longer, you can't control how close you are to others (despite the social distancing ) so, I am still holding off on that. The weekend man has mentioned eating at our White Brasserie, but for all the reasons above, I just don't feel comfortable...

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Although it’s Avery individual thing , I’m totally fine with eating out . Everywhere’s table service , appropriately socially distanced and all waiting staff wear PPE.

I’ve had both my vaccinations and am more of a mindset that COVID is always going to feature in life now and we have to get back to some kind of normality whilst being relatively sensible

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:36 am

I think it’s my age, 67, and more importantly my husband’s age, 86. We have a busy day. He has an appointment at the renal clinic first thing and we have the vet this afternoon. What with lunch it seems to suddenly be a lot to cope with. But I totally get that we need to get on with it!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am

It's understandable that people will be concerned, especially with infection rates rising, but they are mostly in the under 60s, suggesting that the vaccines are working and also that we might not get a large increase in hospital admissions and deaths :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed

That's no consolation to individuals but I would be surprised if we didn't now start to move to a grudging acceptance that Covid is with us and we have to get on with it.

Postby aero280 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:48 am

I think that the future will have Covid and that there will be annual vaccinations as per the flu jab for those deemed vulnerable.

There will be illness and hospital admissions, but hopefully fewer deaths and the NHS will cope.

Never forget that historic figures show that hospital admissions and excess deaths of a similar level occurred in the early 1990’s, but that was before various governments made huge cuts in NHS staff and resources. So no particular panic and it went almost unnoticed. It did result in the flu vaccine being developed and administered.

So, to me, it’s clear who is to blame for the mess we are in at the moment.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Eating establishments do seem to be taking the rules quite seriously and of course must be losing out with tables further apart etc. It is nicer all round for the customer! Of course, ventilation is the big thing, a cramped basement or similar would concern me.

I was interested to read this morning that of the hospital Covid admissions since lockdown eased, most had not had vaccinations. Possibly reassuring for those who have, although of course, they should still test and not be smug.

Re: Restauarant pricing

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We’re saving up for Le Manoir. Is my favourite lunch place in the World.

PP, I had a fit of the vapours and needed to have a lie down after checking the lunch menu and prices at dear Raymondo's Gaff.

We had friends who used to dine there on special birthdays and anniversaries. They spoke highly of it, and were the sort who loved to dress up in grand style so would have mingled well with the other diners.

Maybe I'm a cheapskate who hasn't got the appropriate wardrobe, but I baulk at those prices. You must provide a full report of the experience when you do get a booking (all fully booked until end September according to the MAQS website.)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:18 pm

My goodness! £155 for lunch. It HAS gone up. We last went for mum's 85th which would be 8 years ago. I think it was £100 then. Lunch is quite the experience. The gardens are beautiful and you can get there as early as you like. The food is just fabulous and takes up most of the afternoon. On that occasion Raymond himself was dining on the next table and he was absolutely charming, especially to my mother. I didn't dress up!! Smart casual I would say.

One of my cello teaching friends had her wedding reception there! :o :o

The other place I'm dying to go back to is The Waterside Inn at Bray. We had a lovely warm, sunny day and had our drinks out on the terrace overlooking the Thames. It was so pretty.

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Out of interest I’ve just checked our local Michelin started restaurant- the Black Swan at Oldstead. The tasting menu was £95 last time I looked, which may be a couple of years ago - it’s now £125-£140. So I think it seems most upmarket places have increased in price somewhat.

BB

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:51 pm

we ate at the 'blue bar' last week, four of us, with drinks, outside overlooking a sparkling ocean - it was less than £70 for all of us.
it may not be 'fine' dining but the food was good and the company exceptional.
we don't eat out much but i wouldn't dream of spending more money than i spend on our week's shopping on a meal for one person, whoever had cooked it for me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm

I don't think you can reasonably compare a meal at a place like Le Manoir to your home food budget, of course you are getting expensive food, but you are also getting an event

I've just looked - tickets at the National Theatre go up to £86, single tickets to watch Arsenal play are £32-95 so I don't think it's out of line with other expensive and interesting experiences that last 3 hours or so

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:51 pm

I think everyone in life has to decide for themselves how much they are prepared to pay for anything. We are all different with differing budgets and lifestyles. We’ve been through some very lean times but now it’s just the two of us with a bit of cash to spare we intend to treat ourselves occasionally whilst we still can.

Exotic holidays are out of the question right now and to be honest we don’t eat out very often, although that could change when we eventually relocate. Our booking at Le Manoir for our 45th wedding anniversary was scuppered by COVID but we’ve rebooked for the end of this month. We’ll be having dinner and an overnight stay and yes, it’s costing a small fortune but we are determined to enjoy every second of it. We’ve done it once before, a few years ago, and assumed it would be a one off, but can’t wait to return.

PP, we were in Bray a couple of weeks ago and walked up to the Waterside Inn. What a lovely spot that is in. Maybe one day.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:56 pm

I've stayed at Le Manoir too - it was a superb experience.

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:07 pm

Be aware that the Manoir is no longer in Raymond's hands. It's part of the Belmond Hotel chain. Have a look at various reviews. People who knew the 'old' place are rather lukewarm in their praises.

:?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 pm

It has been for years Binky.

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 pm

I didn't know that. You always get clients who aren't entirely satisfied and so we must read between the lines I suppose.

I hope I didn't come across as a wet blanket but I like to share any info I can. You were already aware about the ownership so no surprises for you, which is good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:02 pm

I’m not sure Raymond ever owned it outright. The Belmond tag has certainly been there since we’ve been going. Maybe 12 years? We get all sorts of promotional emails from them about gourmet train journeys etc.

Not tempted. BUT! One of my swimming friends is quite well off and she talks fondly of going to evening meals around Christmas there when they would have aperitifs and then head down to the village church for carols, coming back for the rest of the meal. Pretty sure that would precede Belmond.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 pm

I always consider going out for a special meal as a luxury of sorts. Luxuries do not figure in a budget,IMHO; you indulge, and that´s it - and you (almost) always come home with a smile on your face. The cost, therefore, is irrelevant.
We were in Barcelona in 2015, and decided to go to a restaurant where the "menu" (there wasn´t one; it´s what the chef decided each day) cost 100 Euros a head. I´ll never forget it - it was fabulous.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 pm

We were charged £3.50 for a kiosk coffee earlier this year. Just a small (not very good, I have to say) one. Smaller than anything you could get in, say Costa. I thought this was a bit pricey, but can't remember how much they cost. Costa don't seem to put prices on their site.

I am not sure I have ever spent anything like as much as £100 on a meal for one. Am I too cheap?!

One take away thing from Covid times is to not eat lunch out as much as we used to (used to be on both Saturday and Sunday). It's not really worth the time or expense or calories given the general quality of the food, although it's good to sit and chat to each other without distractions.
We did have two lunches out over the long weekend though. It felt very indulgent, although they were light meals. No dessert etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox