Register

I've never bought a ....

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I've never bought a ....

Postby liketocook » Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 pm

I've never bought Regae Regae sauce either.
I've never bought "proper" Thai food, had some supermarket versions and cooked some over the years but until fairly recently it just wasn't a restaurant or takeaway option round here.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59 am

I have a memory of buying Reggae Reggae sauce ... not sure what I did with it tho' ... it's not in the back of the cupboard so I must've done something ...

I like a Shish kebab ... it's probably the healthiest takeaway available ... but I don't suppose I have more than one every couple of years ... OH and his pals refer to a Doner as 'Old Lady's Leg' ......... cheeky! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never bought one of those Gu pots ... nor a Vienetta or Arctic Roll or anything like that .......... in fact I don't think I've ever bought a ready-made dessert other than ice cream (homemade apple pies bought from roadside stalls and village fetes don't count).

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 am

We bought a Durian, along with a few other oddies, such as Cuitlacoche and Dongfang meiren (or some such tea that is produced when it's leaves are nibbled by insects) when we were writing the food book at work. As with Scully there are many foody things I have never bought. Not been a vegeatrian as long as Scully, but there is a limit to what you can buy before you leave home on £2.50 a week pocket money, and that went on records and books. I stopped eating meat and fish when I left home.
I have thus never bought a McDonalds burger (although I have had burgers - Wimpy and knock off down-the-market jobs) and many other things. I've never bought... a jackfruit?! ;) I am a sucker for novelty so I am struggling to think of things I haven't bought that are vegetarian. A cake pop? Could you buy those when they were popular? Marshmallow fluff?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am

I bought marshmallow fluff once - I can't remember what for but I found it really unpleasant.

As for tripe, my mother used to cook it for my father sometimes - with milk and onions. I'll try any offal but this tasted even worse than the cooking smell. I've tried it several times and tried cooking it myself but find the taste really unpleasant - I can even detect it supposedly hidden in small pieces in bowls of flavoursome Menudo.

I bought Kimchi for the first time recently- from a local organic outlet with glowing recommendations. I am not adverse to chilli but this nearly blew my head off - is this how it should be? My late friend in the USA had served in Korea and loved the Kimchi he had there. He didn't usually like extreme heat in food.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Kimchi varies I think, one of the things I was pleased to get from the Japan Centre was a pair of 100g sachets of kimchi, each is enough to make a couple of meals and then I won’t use it again for weeks

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm

this is the recipe for the kimchi i make. it's really easy and you put as much chilli in as you find acceptable. (i used ordinary radish, as i couldn't find mooli the first time i made it, and it works fine).
well worth making.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:37 pm

In the interests of research I have just bought this in Waitrose as it was on offer (£4 not £4.50). I also bought some Reggae Reggae but that will get eaten when my daughter and her lot come to stay. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:40 pm

The description puts me off a bit PP

Live Cultured for Tasty Gut-Ness

Not sure if that needs a laughing or throwing up smilie ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:52 pm

I'll let you know . . . :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The description puts me off a bit PP

Live Cultured for Tasty Gut-Ness

Not sure if that needs a laughing or throwing up smilie ;)

I might have to give this a go... I made kimchi once and just didn't 'get' it ... I found it really unpalatable, so want to taste someone else's. Most stuff you buy is pasteurised which kind of defeats the object doesn't it ?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 pm

:lol: :lol: oh dear, that is quite a description! Will be interested to hear what it's like PP.

I think I would have liked mine (unpasteurised) had it not been quite so fiery. I have another jar but that one contains cumin which I don't like much anyway so will probably give it away. I'll probably just stick to sauerkraut which I don't mind. Your recipe looks nice Scully..

Postby mistakened » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:30 pm

I have never tried Kimchi a) I don't like cabbage b) I am growing less and less tolerant of chili

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 pm

I bought some kimchi for the first time too, a few months ago. From &S I think. It was nice enough. I didn't finish it... Primarily because I've not being eating proper lunch to compensate for lack of exercise during Covid times, or have dinners with which it could go well. It's probably lurking at the back of the fridge.
Ottolenghi had a recipe for kimchi fritters...

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Most stuff you buy is pasteurised which kind of defeats the object doesn't it ?

Doesn’t that depend on why you are eating it?

The amount of kimchi I, and most Europeans, might eat is unlikely to have a major impact on health, it’s just a condiment, and even Koreans often cook it in stews and stir fries which would also kill off any useful bacteria

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Probably

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:43 pm

I've never bought a ... scallop, nor eaten one. Until yesterday that is, when I bought and cooked some small SW Atlantic ones (usual FAO41 area supermarket ones).

I was worried they'd be slimy oysterish things. They weren't - rather being like prawns in taste and texture but sweeter, even with lemon juice.

In theory I'd buy them again, except that it puzzled me that the scallops were trawled (dredged) yet had an MSC certification. How can this be? I asked myself, but it can.

Curiously, the MSC has resisted attempts to disallow dredging, falling back on expressions such as "well managed" or size, so no indication that I can find on the net about any concern about killing the sea beds nor of their having to be left to recover intermittently.

For that reason, I shan't buy any more such scallops. Opponents of seabed dredging also point to sediment dispersal, CO2 disrupted from the seabed and also that created by the factory ship dredgers themselves. My opinion on CO2 hazy given the number of culprits usually profit driven, but killing seabeds has to be downright stupidity.

Incidentally, I found a reference to overfishing and method being raised in 13th Century! Presumably that resulted in an inquiry from which lessons will be learned :roll:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox