Register

Green Stores

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Green Stores

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm

Not sure whether this is a chain but I think it must be near Patsy’s antique shop in Croxley Green. Am presuming there are people here who use this type of retailers. I think I’m going to give it a go but I will have to plan quite carefully in advance as I’m usually a bit of a panicker about running out of things.

https://thegreenstores.co.uk/

Any thoughts?

Re: Green Stores

Postby ZeroCook » Thu May 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Looked at their website. They're basically almost all-bulk no prepackaged/no plastic/reusable or compostable which in my book is good. Other than that, seems like a wholefoody type shop of which I'm partial to, anyway. I'd certainly give it a go. I like smaller shops where personal service and interaction are part of the shopping.

PS Bamboo clothes pegs (which popped up on their products listings) can leave splinters in fingers and hands as I've found out :o :?

Postby liketocook » Thu May 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Crowdfunding got our local one of the ground in 2019 and very good it is too and very reasonably priced. In summer months they also stock eggs from their own chooks. It's done so well that in 2020 they managed to open another shop in a nearby town. https://www.lavemilllarder.co.uk/products

Postby scullion » Thu May 27, 2021 6:01 pm

We have a zero waste van (incredible bulk https://www.mobilezerowasteshop.co.uk/) that does the rounds of some of the villages in west cornwall
In normal times you take your containers to them (up at the pub) and they fill them. At the moment you email your order, leave a box out, they deliver to it, in paper bags/re-useable glass bottles and then you pay online.
I use it a lot, lovely people.

We have stainless steel pegs (pincinox) which are brilliant. No rust, no splinters and they stay outside on the line. We’ve had them a few years, they look as good as new (they also get a regular bath in the dishwasher) and they work brilliantly even in strong winds.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Yes, there are a few around here that do similar, and for years there have been corners in the back of the “hippy food shops” that have sold loose pulses and refilled bottles of cleaning products and some toiletries

There was a fabulous one in Islington 40 years ago, run as a cooperative

Currently there’s one I hate in central Hackney (inadequate lighting, although newly refurbished; poor labelling; surly staff) - other people seem to like it though. But much nearer there’s lovely Re:Store who also run the Top Up Truck, a milk float which delivers to various local post codes.

Having said which I haven’t really used them in lockdown as it required more organisation than I could muster for the small amounts I needed, and the cleaning products are very strongly scented m so not for me (she was going to try to obtain some unfragranced stuff, I must check in)

https://restorerefill.co.uk/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu May 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Not sure whether this is a chain but I think it must be near Patsy’s antique shop in Croxley Green. Am presuming there are people here who use this type of retailers. I think I’m going to give it a go but I will have to plan quite carefully in advance as I’m usually a bit of a panicker about running out of things.

https://thegreenstores.co.uk/

Any thoughts?

Yes, I knew where this was, but since I haven't been to the shop for over a year now, I haven't had the chance to see what they sell ...I did enquire about something iirc, but they didn't stock it - and I can't remember what it was anyway now. I use the Hatchery Farm Shop in Beaconsfield for washing up liquid and fabric softener sold in bring your own containers .. I am now looking for shampoo, so I may have to pay them visit..

Oooh, just looked out of the window and the sky over in the East is 'Black as Newgate's Knocker ! ' ;) I think the lovely day we have had is coming to and end soon .... :cry:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Pre-Covid you could go to such places as you pleased and often serve yourself. Presumably the appointment system is a way round Covid rules or else the shop is so tiny its the only way they can operate.

We have a well-established cooperative which started in the 70s. They do loose spices and refills of various things but sell legumes, grains etc already bagged - mostly by them. Years ago we had a commercial shop where you could buy all manner of things loose from bins but it didn't last long. More recently we've had an outlet housed within a juice bar manned by volunteers with items sold loose. They were very expensive considering they had no overheads and they couldn't get enough reliable volunteers.

I mention all this because it seems somehow that selling everything loose doesn't work well if you need to break even or make a profit. I think our little cooperative may have got the balance right.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Fri May 28, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 27, 2021 11:59 pm

They had one of those shops in Leeds a few years back and I tried it a few times but eventually gave up because some of the stuff didn’t taste quite right. Couldn’t really put my finger on what exactly but possibly staleish fits the bill.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 am

Never seen one and never been in one (yet).
The idea is great, BUT...
One of the things I like about shopping for food is the chance to browse around, take a good look at what I´m buying, see what the food looks like, etc, etc, etc. I can happily spend an hour or so in a new supermarket/store.
A 10-minute appointment would spoil all the fun. Bit like Masterchef: " 3 minutes in the pantry then it´s time to cook" :shock: :shock:

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 am

There's a refills section for the cleaning stuff at the health food shop in Hertford. Everything else is pre-packed though. A new place opened in our quaint old town last year.

https://sugarandscoop.com

Possibly bad timing but they and the new deli both seem quite busy now. :crossed

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 28, 2021 9:28 am

That looks a nice shop BM. Following my previous comments, I wonder if they operate with normal overheads and I wonder how much the goods cost. It would be great if they can make a go of it and if the items could be affordable for a lot of people. Of course, I understand that things produced ethically are going to be more expensive but some seem prohibitively so.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 28, 2021 9:29 am

I have ordered some pincinox clothes pegs. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby scullion » Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 am

you won't be disappointed.
they are appreciated every time i hang washing out and have been housewarming/wedding presents for quite a few people since i discovered them.
no more manky wooden pegs and plastic ones that break after a year or two. we will itemise them in our wills!

Postby Busybee » Fri May 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I have ordered some pincinox clothes pegs. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I use them after Scully’s recommendation some years ago. Brilliant pegs and worth the investment.

BB

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox