Register

Tomahawk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tomahawk

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 23, 2021 6:51 am

I’m being lured to the Dark Side I think. Everyone seems to be selling beef tomahawk steaks and I keep thinking that they’re a bit too cheap to be as good as they say. And then they turned up on GBM and looked amazing. I know Polo would love the bones!

Have you cooked them? How, and is the meat as tasty and tender as expected?

Re: Tomahawk

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun May 23, 2021 7:38 am

According to this article they’re not really worth the money as they’re just glorified ribeye steaks French trimmed but look good on a plate. Ribeye is my favourite steak but I wouldn’t bother with a tomahawk.

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/tomahawk-steak-scam/

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 23, 2021 11:16 am

I’m not sure that article is entirely right, as it says “the meat that is cut off the bone is sold as short rib” - surely the point of short rib is that it is a section of rib bone with meat on it?

The reason the seem cheap compared to rib eye from the same source is surely that a good proportion of the weight is bone?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 23, 2021 2:25 pm

My kids have cooked them, but I haven´t got a clue, as I don´t eat meat!
I´d imagine the tomahawk is tricky to cook, given (a) it´s size ( I can´t see it fitting into a frying pan) and (b) the thickness. How do you ensure a perfectly cooked centre without overcooking the outside?

Postby liketocook » Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 pm

We cooked a couple of big ones two years ago for a family BBQ and they worked really well. I think they lend themselves to that type of cooking. The meat was certainly tasty and tender, yes slightly well done towards the edge but still juicy and flavoursome. I can't remember how much we paid but remember they were good value for the amount of meat we got but probably not much if any cheaper than buying the equivalent steak.

Postby Lokelani » Wed May 26, 2021 12:22 pm

My favourite treat steak is Cote de boeuf which I think is the same as a Tomahawk just with a shorter bone. They usually fit in a frying pan and seem like I'm paying for less bone, although i'm sure it's taken into account in the price per kilo somewhere.

I do like the look of a Tomahawk though, very Fred Flintstone. :lol:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 am

A roasted rib of beef is my favourite roast beef but it’s not something I’d cook for myself.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 28, 2021 12:52 am

With the tomahawks I´ve seen, NLB, you´d probably have enough meat for about a week!!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox