Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 7

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 7

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 17, 2021 11:26 am

Good morning
Not raining at the moment but forecast says a long wet afternoon

“George” sounds great Suffs, happy driving

No plans to go to the pub etc until the excitement subsides, but need to go to the shops as running out of a few things, especially dishwasher tablets

Have a good day everyone

Postby liketocook » Mon May 17, 2021 11:37 am

Good morning everyone,
Happy new car suffs.
Sunny here this morning and no rain due today. That said the forecasted rain yesterday arrived as one brief but heavy shower mid-evening.
The shed/log store is still standing, building the pallet coffee table took the kids all day but it's looking rather good just needs stained, a final quick sand and oiling now. My elder son and DIL-to-be were very pleased with their efforts and happy to follow my younger son's instructions. :D
A domestic morning is needed and this afternoon I hope to spend some time in the garden. I'm attempting to make Jamie Oliver's broccoli and cheese pierogis for dinner. :crossed

Postby mistakened » Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 am

Back from Limassol, I bought two lengths of Chambray in Georges, Deb limited herself to one dress length and a new pair of cutting out scissors, Richard let her try them out before buying. They had some beautiful cheesecloths, very subtle colours, I did not succumb :o
A successful supermarket shop, the butcher's dept makes its own Kofte. It will be grilled kofte, braised red and green peppers and rice for supper.
Enjoy you new car, Suffs

Moira

Postby Suffs » Mon May 17, 2021 11:51 am

George.JPG
George.JPG (165.77 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Here he is ... waiting for me to pick him up on Saturday :bounce:

''a certain little lady ....' :thumbsup love it SloeGin

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:58 am

Wow, Suffs, magnificent :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Morning all! :wave. I've written everything once then went to look something up and lost it :evil: :evil:.
I did say that your weather is making us green with envy Moira and that I loved reading back this morning as it seemed a real 'section of ordinary life in 21st century Britain' :lol: :lol:. Hope those doing medically-related things today survive the ordeals!

It's sunny here but the sky is ominously black. I was so lucky with my walk yesterday. I procrastinated until late afternoon then got 3 miles in with only a bit of drizzle at the end, despite the forecast suggesting an 80% chance of rain. It had been pouring earlier. A pair of swans who have been nesting at the big lake were proudly displaying their four gorgeous cygnets. Four seems to be the number this year, similar to those at the small lake we saw the other day. There are at least three more pairs still nesting.

Excellent new car name Suffs! What colour is it? (I know it's a standard joke that that's what girls ask but I'm a girl and I want to know :lol:). That model seems to look very different depending on the colour. I suppose most cars do. (Ah! you've posted a piccy since I wrote this!)

I've had an invitation to a lunchtime party to be held in memory of my late cousin (mother's cousin really). He died at the very start of Covid and so there was no funeral or anything. I'd rather hoped there wouldn't be after all this time but of course will be pleased to pay my respects. I've got 6 weeks to lose 1.5 stone and decide what to wear. They're all the yacht club sort, I've never been near a yacht or a yacht club. I really hope that DD can get away from work and come too. We are all that's left of that highly respectable side of the family (apart from DS and GD of course). I was a bit of a black sheep and must try not to let the side down!

Yum yum ltc! Hope your Broccoli and cheese pierogis are a success.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Rat man has been and done his stuff. I hate doing it, but their population has exploded this year.

Hub and I have decided that I should go to the caravan with the dogs on Thursday for some 'me time'. It may be the last time for a while and he's keen for me to go. He can get the bus after work on Friday to the nearest market town, where I can meet him and take him up to the van for the weekend. Covid scuppered our plans for this to happen last year, so while, we can, I will!!
I will leave his a lasagne for his supper and I will decide on what I can have (something he doesn't like, but I love, like liver, or fish!)

I can see why you fell for that car, Suffs. Chic and sporty.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 12:29 pm

Lovely swim thanks KC2 although it was hard work not having been for a week.

I have just been to Waitrose and met someone I hadn't seen since Covid struck so that was good.

EM, there is a discussion about yacht varnish on one of my FB groups. That's about as near as I've ever got to a yacht! (ETA: I was varnishing the wood on my Morris Traveller). :lol:

Great Zoom meeting last night to celebrate Middlesex Day. Very interesting indeed that so many people want to keep all the historic counties alive. Russell Grant is an absolute sweetie, as is Lord Randall who preceded Boris as MP for Uxbridge. One of my old recorder pupils did a 5 minute talk on Middlesex wildlife (he's a real expert even though he's only 16). Who knew that there is now a growing number of adders in Hounslow? They can stay there . . . .

Yes Sloe. The rat thing has been mega during Covid because there has been so much less movement by people. I've mentioned before that our OWL people (the hobby-bobbies) have been sending out stuff from about two months in telling people to check under their car bonnets because rats have been nesting in unused engines . . . :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Mon May 17, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby aero280 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 pm

Anyone want to try some recipes from Jane Austen's cookbook? :)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... ow-you-can

(I have just seen that PP has posted this in the cookery book section)...

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: The rat thing has been mega during Covid because there has been so much less movement by people. I've mentioned before that our OWL people (the hobby-bobbies) have been sending out stuff from about two months in telling people to check under their car bonnets because rats have been nesting in unused engines . . .

How on earth do they get in there? Through the radiator grille, like mice could??? Do rats also have those collapsible skeletons that let mice get in through the tiniest hole?
Or from underneath?
:twisted: :twisted:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 pm

Despite being brought up very near Chawton , I’ve never been to Jane Austen’s house, or for that matter to Gilbert White’s at Selborne, which was even closer. Every time I suggested to my dad we go any where he wasn’t specially interested in he’d tell me very firmly that there was no point going as there was nothing to see, and surprisingly neither ever featured as school trips

Went to the Roman villa at Bignor three times with various organisations though - there really is very little to see! Fishbourne (or as spell checker prefers, Fish our eye) is more exciting and well worthwhile if you are in the area

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:How on earth do they get in there? Through the radiator grille, like mice could??? Do rats also have those collapsible skeletons that let mice get in through the tiniest hole?
Or from underneath?
:twisted: :twisted:

Yeah. From underneath I think. There are some very dodgy old cars round here. :o

Postby Suffs » Mon May 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Have you never looked under your car's bonnet? :shock: You can see the ground in the gaps around the engine 8-) Hence the oft seen sight of Wesley Pegden's legs sticking out from underneath Thora's red Triumph Herald convertible while he worked on it ... :lol:
Last edited by Suffs on Mon May 17, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 2:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 pm

For all of the above reasons, we will not rush out to eat in. Hub is very, very wary about mixing and most local offerings are of a rather mediocre nature. If I want a 'gourmet burger' I'd make my own, but I don't think I'd ever ordered a burger.
I am, however, most envious of PP Pollen Street meal. That will be a meal worth getting out of bed for!!

A rather boring shepherds pie for tonight, but I put the lamb in the slow cooker early and I can build it up before meeting hub from work. A nice easy meal to pop in the oven to finish off.

Right, off to the 'office' aka greenhouse.

My car has a bonnet? Well, I never knew that :lol: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I did say that your weather is making us green with envy Moira
You would not like it in July and August when the humidity is high, most sensible people leave for more comfortable climes.
It was interesting in the big supermarket this morning, very few British, I think that a lot the ex patriate community who visit their houses in the Spring and Autumn are not here for obvious reasons. That also affects the local hospitality industry as many of them are great "eaters out".

Moira

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 17, 2021 2:46 pm

mistakened wrote:Back from Limassol, I bought two lengths of Chambray in Georges, Deb limited herself to one dress length and a new pair of cutting out scissors, Richard let her try them out before buying. They had some beautiful cheesecloths, very subtle colours, I did not succumb :o

Oooh, those materials would enough to get me sewing again ...

Love the look of George Suffs :thumbsup I never liked driving Alfa's though they always seemed a very hard drive :(

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 2:54 pm

My only experience of Alfas is the owner of one, aged about 60 when I was 18, trying to impress me. Thank God I thought he was what he was.

Massive earth-shattering thunderstorm here.

Postby Suffs » Mon May 17, 2021 3:21 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:.....

Love the look of George Suffs :thumbsup I never liked driving Alfa's though they always seemed a very hard drive :(

I think they used to be known for being particularly responsive, but that would probably be a bit tiring on a long steady journey ... now they have a system called DNA

D = Direct, sort of super responsive, nippy
N = Normal, for 'normal' driving
A = All weather, for driving in heavy rain, ice etc ... helps prevent aquaplaning, skidding etc

I learned how to use it yesterday ... seems very straightforward.

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm

George is very pretty indeed Suffs! :thumbsup

SG, very glad you're to have some caravan 'me' time....

I grew up near Chawton too, Herbi, and like you I've never been to Jane Austen's house (despite her being one of my favourite ever authors) or to Gilbert White's house at Selbourne. Like you, I have been to Fishbourne. :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox