Register

Ainsley's BBQ Bible

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ainsley's BBQ Bible

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 pm

Sorry my last post was a bit off the wall. In an attempt to redeem myself to back on topic, a handy tip is to thread items onto two separate but twinned skewers as doing that stops the items swizzling round when you try to turn them over.

Postby Suffs » Thu May 20, 2021 8:34 am

Re fresh ginger ... I usually buy a knob or two of fresh ginger with each supermarket shop. It keeps just fine wrapped in a piece of waxed paper or similar and kept in the salad drawer ... then I grate off what we need with a microplastics and put it back.
If you don’t use it often enough for that, it also freezes well and can be grated straight from the freezer abd then returned.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am

Suffs wrote:then I grate off what we need with a microplastics and put it back.

Spellchecker strikes - I assume microplane :lol:

I don’t have any trouble finding decent ginger but it doesn’t always keep well unless frozen

You can plant ginger in a pot with some added sand or grit I understand but you ideally need to grow it in a conservatory or greenhouse, I might plan a bit now the relevant window sill is clear of bedding plants
Here are James Wong’s simple instructions

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... james-wong

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 20, 2021 11:23 am

Thank you for the link Sue, that's really interesting. I'd love to have a go at growing it.

I'm amazed at the amounts of ginger you all use! A root stays in my freezer for months. I grate it straight from the freezer when required.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am

We use a fair bit of ginger but don't use enough of it for it not to go soft in the fridge. I keep it in the freezer and just grate from frozen peel and all.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 pm

I bought a copy off ebay for £2.10 plus p + p. It arrived today. Unfortunately, the bbq weather has been delayed by leaves on the line.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:52 pm

liketocook wrote:We use a fair bit of ginger but don't use enough of it for it not to go soft in the fridge. I keep it in the freezer and just grate from frozen peel and all.

Do you wash and let it dry before you put it in the freezer? I have used it with the peel still on from fresh but I have washed it first.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 21, 2021 11:26 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
liketocook wrote:We use a fair bit of ginger but don't use enough of it for it not to go soft in the fridge. I keep it in the freezer and just grate from frozen peel and all.

Do you wash and let it dry before you put it in the freezer? I have used it with the peel still on from fresh but I have washed it first.

Yes I give it a scrub under tap with a nail brush, dry for a bit on kitchen roll then chop into thumb size pieces before freezing.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:05 pm

liketocook wrote:Yes I give it a scrub under tap with a nail brush, dry for a bit on kitchen roll then chop into thumb size pieces before freezing.

:thumbsup sounds like a really good idea

Postby liketocook » Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
liketocook wrote:Yes I give it a scrub under tap with a nail brush, dry for a bit on kitchen roll then chop into thumb size pieces before freezing.

:thumbsup sounds like a really good idea

Hugh F-W's on one of his TV programmes years ago :) . His other suggestion of open freezing unpeeled garlic cloves if you have a surplus works well too. The skin just lifts away if you let them thaw for a few minutes.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri May 21, 2021 11:29 pm

liketocook wrote:Hugh F-W's on one of his TV programmes years ago :) . His other suggestion of open freezing unpeeled garlic cloves if you have a surplus works well too. The skin just lifts away if you let them thaw for a few minutes.

Cheers LTC :thumbsup , these are good tips for me as I don't use much of either (family allergy :thumbsdown ).

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 am

I bought a copy off ebay for £2.10 plus p + p. It arrived today. Unfortunately, the bbq weather has been delayed by leaves on the line.

Mine arrived today. :thumbsup

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat May 22, 2021 11:46 am

It was like being reunited with an old friend! Te red pepper and nectarine salad...oh yum.

And hub has only recently discovered he likes coconut, so there are some new recipes to try too. Unfortunately, he still won't touch fish. :shock:

Postby liketocook » Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 pm

Enjoy your purchases Gil and SG, we just need some decent weather now :)

Postby eloquentmameha » Mon May 24, 2021 11:40 am

off at a tangent but BBQ reminds me of Dr Sweetsmoke does anyone remember him?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 24, 2021 11:42 am

Yes, he's still around, enjoying life and doing great things with food.

Postby miss mouse » Mon May 24, 2021 7:00 pm

eloquentmameha wrote:off at a tangent but BBQ reminds me of Dr Sweetsmoke does anyone remember him?

Of course. I think I saw him on the telly once.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 24, 2021 8:02 pm

I catch sight of him on Facebook sometimes

Postby Busybee » Mon May 24, 2021 8:37 pm

miss mouse wrote:
eloquentmameha wrote:off at a tangent but BBQ reminds me of Dr Sweetsmoke does anyone remember him?

Of course. I think I saw him on the telly once.

I think he has been in the states since just before the first lockdown. Certainly he was staying with his mother early on, not sure if he has moved or is still with her.

His plans were to come back to the UK for Grillstock etc, but I don’t know if that’s happening this year or not.

BB

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 25, 2021 9:17 am

There's a large Pro-Q bullet barbeque in the shed, all the fault of Dr S. :D

I used to cook a lot of barbeque on an old Hibatchi that I inherited when Mum decided it was on its last legs. I used it a further 15 years. Then bought the Pro Q, but it's a monster and not really suitable for just the two of us. Especially when the post transplant advice included avoiding barbeques. I've rather got out of the habit. Should have bought a Cobb I suppose.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox