Register

Mackerel pate recipe

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mackerel pate recipe

Postby Binky » Fri May 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Following on from jeral who is looking for salmon mousse recipes, may I recommend my mackerel pate version?

Take a pack of smoked mackerel with pepper, plonk in the food processor with some cream cheese, a dollop of horseradish sauce and some dill. Whizz up. Eat with sourdough toast. Punches above its weight.

Re: Mackerel pate recipe

Postby liketocook » Fri May 14, 2021 6:57 pm

It does indeed :yum , I like to add a good squeeze of lemon and some snipped chives to the same combination.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 pm

I do one very similar and sometimes use a squeeze of lime instead of lemon. And I sometimes use garlic and herb cream cheese instead of plain. I love smoked mackerel pate and much prefer the texture to that of a mousse.

Postby jeral » Fri May 14, 2021 11:34 pm

Good one to have in reserve Binky. Pampy, I alternate between lemon and lime for things depending on mood.

I was hoping to experiment more with fresh mackerel last year but since I scarcely went out the chances of getting to the fishmonger on a day when he had some was infinitesimally small. High hopes for this year...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 15, 2021 12:44 am

I always use Delia's recipe, it's a useful and easy thing to take to pot luck suppers with a few oatcakes. Very similar to those already mentioned but she uses ricotta. I've used smoked trout sometimes. I don't bother with the capers because a lot of people don't like them (I do!).

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/col ... node/13702

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat May 15, 2021 3:47 am

I make it in a similar way, always using the peppered smoked mackerel and I also add capers.
Actually, I use it as more of a dip now, I particularly like using Finn crisp crackers as scoops.

Postby dennispc » Sat May 15, 2021 10:54 am

Smoked mackerel, helmans, herbs does for us, though sometimes I go wild and add tomato ketchup! Recently, to save on the washing up just mash with a fork. Mackerel paste on toast.

Postby Seatallan » Sat May 15, 2021 12:23 pm

EM, I like the Delia recipe too. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox