Register

Salmon mousse recipe?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Salmon mousse recipe?

Postby jeral » Fri May 14, 2021 5:11 pm

I have a biggish portion of plain cooked salmon and fancy an aerated set mousse.

No butter please. I have double cream and Hellman's orig mayo, and Vege-Gel. for setting if needed.

I'm totally stuck on what added flavours would work. I have shallots, red onion, most herbs and spices (incl. Mexican and jerk seasonings).

Any favourites please?

Re: Salmon mousse recipe?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 pm

I used to make a canned salmon mousse with some Mayo and whipped cream, set with gelatin, it had the flavours used for tartare sauce ie capers, lemon juice, gherkins which worked well but it made a buffet sized amount and I’m not sure I could scale it down

The other flavour that goes really well with salmon is pink peppercorn, I’m sure chefs started using it for prettiness but I love it

Postby jeral » Fri May 14, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue. I've found a super simple recipe for a set mousse (below) but it uses the dreaded (for me) dill, whilst your idea of capers, lemon, maybe gherkin is to my taste so good call. Also, whipping the cream beforehand would suit my thinking.

I doubt I have space to buy and store pink peppercorns that might just sit there. What else are they used with please?

I'm OK with scaling, or any excess "gel sauce" can set something else, like mushrooms. This one uses tinned salmon which I dislike, but mine's fresh:
https://www.john-west.co.uk/recipes/del ... on-mousse/

Postby Pampy » Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 pm

I use pink peppercorns to make a cream sauce for fish or chicken.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 15, 2021 1:28 pm

I´ve made a marinated salmon dish using coriander leaf, ground coriander seeds, salt, chile pepper and tequila. The flavours go very well.
Now I´m not suggesting you go out and buy tequila; you could probably use lemon or lime juice, but the flavours will work with a mousse.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox