Register

Restaurants to put calorie counts on menu

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Restaurants to put calorie counts on menu

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 14, 2021 10:32 am

Frank Muir, I think, once wrote 'This is the way the world ends, not with a banger but with a Wimpy' I hope he apologised to TS Elliot. It did point the way to a change in eating habits, more restaurant chains, more global brands. I suppose Costa is the 21st century equivalent of Wimpy, a British version of an international trend.

The world was certainly different then. Looking West, where our culture increasingly comes from (I mean the New World rather than Cornwall) they have their own obesity problems. I wonder if our culture will evolve in a different direction when they are no longer the world's dominant superpower. It might all go up in smoke and mushrooms but let's hope not.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 am

The fact is though that statistically most of us don’t eat as many calories as our counterparts did a couple of generations ago

The teen you see eating a burger then a couple of hours later eating a doughnut probably isn’t consuming any more calories than by eating meat and taters followed by pudding and custard and a bit of bread and jam on getting in from school

And of course the idea that all home cooked food was wonderfully tasty and nutritious is rubbish, plenty of people couldn’t cook a decent meal either because they lacked skill or facilities

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 pm

So any theories, Sue?
Perhaps a more sedentary lifestyle?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 pm

There are lots of theories and I don’t believe most of them

The real answer is nobody knows, there probably is less activity in every day life - in the days before tv and fridges the average person left the house at least 3 times per day to walk to work, to local shops, even to the cinema an pub in the evening and we don’t do that now, we get groceries fortnightly and watch Netflix

There’s a load of dangerous tosh talked about ultra-processed food, for which there is no satisfactory definition; there’s something called Nova which is simply not a definition of anything by proper scientific standards, it’s 3 pages of dumbed down waffle that mentions 4 levels of categorising food processing
Similarly, there’s talk of hyper-palatability, things like ice cream and crisps that are so enjoyable we will eat them when not hungry but it’s not clear how much extra energy we take in from them :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm

A case in point on the portion size
I got some THIS is not Bacon rashers. The portion size given is 2 pieces :lol:- each rasher is tiny, I served myself 4 to top an open sandwich, they are only 20 calories each

They worked well with avocado and tomato, more like smoky bacon crisps than bacon in flavour though the texture was slightly rubbery

Postby Amyw » Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Ive had these before . Like you say the texture is a little off but as a bacon substitute it’s as near as damnit as I imagine you’d get with a vegan product as an alternative to bacon

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 18, 2021 2:18 pm

A somewhat alarming report from the Beeb, related to "calorie counts" and obesity:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57144922

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 18, 2021 2:51 pm

The trouble is they don’t put all the statistics in one place, and we don’t necessarily know how to change them

There was a feature on More or Less (the BBC statistics podcast) where they said

1 obesity is clearly a risk factor for mortality or severe morbidity from Covid-19

2 The best estimate is that if nobody in the world were obese there would have been only 6% fewer deaths from the virus

It’s a significant risk for an individual, but the population level impact is less than one would intuitively expect

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Looks like the Beeb has got in on the action:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57282218

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox