Register

Peace offering from neighbour

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Peace offering from neighbour

Postby Binky » Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Our neighbour has been causing a nuisance with his building works and pond creation. His wife called round this morning with a box of cakes to appease us. That's the weekend desserts sorted!

(just had a thought that this should be in Chatterbox, not here. Can a mod sort it for me please?)

Re: Peace offering from neighbour

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Don't suppose you could spare the custard cream blondie?

Postby Amyw » Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Ah what a lovely thought , that would definitely make me happy. We have quite a few businesses around here doing brownie deliveries or boxes of cupcakes etc . I think they’re normally a relatively inexpensive treat to give and cake usually goes down well

Postby Suffs » Sat May 08, 2021 5:28 pm

What lovely neighbours ... with very good taste too :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm

:yum :yum :yum

They look splendid Binky! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 08, 2021 5:31 pm

Am intrigued as to whether they came as a result of a complaint or not.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 08, 2021 5:57 pm

How kind. I hope all the upset was worth that result!

Postby Binky » Sat May 08, 2021 6:21 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Am intrigued as to whether they came as a result of a complaint or not.

PP, yes it was about a complaint. We live down a single track lane leading to a main road. It's our only access to the road and we obviously rely on it for deliveries, getting out and about etc.

Lately the neighbour, who lives on the main road, has been blocking the lane with his lorries and workmen working on garden improvements. We've had a cement lorry three times delivering material for his enlarged pond.

We have politely explained that I have three essential medical appointments each week, all related to chemotherapy and it would be neighbourly if he could give us fair warning if the lane was going to be blocked. At first we had to ask his men to move, and then later he alerted us to expected work. I think it's all finished now and that's what the box of cakes are about.

We are reasonable people and don't want any neighbour fall-outs; no-one wins except lawyers, and I hope that's the end of an unpleasant few weeks.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Very tricky. I admire your patience but so glad you have reasonable neighbours.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 09, 2021 12:48 am

A nice gesture but I can see that it must have been quite a fraught time for you. It is difficult when people have work done on their home, especially if parking is limited. I was acutely consciously of it when I modernised my house - I had workmen here nearly every weekday for about 9 months. If they were to be at the house for any length of time (ie not just dropping supplies off) I made sure, as far as I could, that they didn't inconvenience any neighbours but it was difficult, especially as I live at the bottom of a very small cul-de-sac.
Some neighbours can be very inflexible though. About 4 years ago, I was waiting to have an operation for an umbilical hernia. I'd had 2 very bad occasions when it strangulated and I was told by the consultant that if it happened again, I must call 999 for an ambulance as it was potentially fatal. Of course, it did happen so I called an ambulance, which duly arrived and parked at the bottom of my drive. They decided that I couldn't be taken to hospital without being given some very heavy painkillers so had to radio for a senior paramedic to administer morphine. He arrived quickly and left his car at the side of the ambulance, which unfortunately blocked my neighbour's drive. Within a couple of minutes of his arrival, there was a knock on the ambulance door - said neighbour telling (not asking) the paramedic to move his car as he needed to go shopping! My gast was flabbered and I did my best to apologise for his crassness but the medics said that sort of thing isn't uncommon.

Postby Rainbow » Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 am

Pampy, Some people are really...................words fail me!!

Sadly it doesn't really surprise me :?

But good to hear that Binky has more thoughtful neighbours with good taste in cakes :D

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox