Register

Recommendation for S E London

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Recommendation for S E London

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:53 pm

I have mentioned before that I was put off game as a child because my grandfather received packages of fresh game from his family on their farms, and then he hung in in the cupboard under the stairs until the maggots dropped off...

.. the house did not smell pleasant!! :o I've never fancied game since.

Postby Busybee » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Pampy wrote:BusyBee - it seems that Nigel has taken over The Three Fishes again - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... b-country/

This makes me happy. Will try it when it’s open later in the year, it will be worth the trip I’m sure.

Thanks Pampy

BB

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:46 pm

In the end I sent a cheque so that they could choose for themselves. They are going back to the Colony Bar & Grill - I've never heard of it but the menu did look good. They like oysters so they will definitely have them.
Thanks for your suggestions though!

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm sure a cheque was a good choice after hearing some of the horror stories about travel vouchers particularly but food ones as well. I hope the resto will allow them to take a pic for you as a keepsake :)

A lovely gesture by you Meganthemog and timely to start their new life with a new post-lockdown beginning and hopefully many happy years ahead.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 pm

I don't know that one, Megan.

I noticed that the Crystal Palace Market has gone when I was up there at the weekend. Depressingly it's been turned into an estate agent and two other equally boring things. The Alma was impossible to get a table in. Thanks, Grace!

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:03 pm

Busybee wrote:
Pampy wrote:Interestingly, I came across this site https://www.nigel-haworth.co.uk/haworth-at-home/ when I was looking for "at home" meal boxes.

I do like Nigel’s cooking, I had thought that he was retiring when he stepped down at Northcote - he is obviously still very busy working.

BB

Nigel's new restaurant opens on the 12th
https://www.lancs.live/whats-on/food-dr ... h-22041349

Postby Busybee » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Great minds Pampy, we have just been reading about how Northcote has won the best restaurant award - which led us on to Nigel rebuying The Three Fishes and noticed that it is due to open next week.

I wish we were a bit closer, I would love to try it again. It was always a favourite birthday treat place.

Would love to know what the first reviews think of it.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:30 pm

In the unlikely event that anyone should want SE London recommendations again, the Sparrow restaurant in Lewisham is in very unprepossessing suroundings, but the food is very good indeed. More central London than SE London.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox