Register

Firepit cooking aka bbq

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Firepit cooking aka bbq

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

Getting in touch with that outdoor living.
I bought a wrought iron firepit/ bbq in the winter from a birmingham forge. Which I've lit twice so far. And absolutely love it. It takes kiln dried wood, and not coals.
We set up our seating, light the wood like the good old days with paper and kindling.

My first cook off was sausages - jeez Tony adores those sossiges.
Next up, I cooked one large sirloin steak, which we get from the local Jesse Smith deli and butcher: https://jessesmith.co.uk/

When I get my firepit confidence, I'll do some whole fish on there, marinated. Any ideas?

I've downloaded 2 x kindle books for salads, and for outdoor cooking. The 99p ones.

All we need is for those temperatures to start going up ...

Re: Firepit cooking aka bbq

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 am

That's a fine looking fire pit. Most outdoor grills and bbqs are just so .. ugly. No other word for it.

So many marinades so little time! Sis has a Moroccan chermoula marinade she uses for whole Dorada fish. Prawns would be fabulous too. And don't forget piri piri marinade. Now youre you're talking!

We're about to break out the gas bbq. Or rather, he is :D It's that time of year, yay.

He sent me this today (I told him to send me links of recipes he sees on his news feeds if he likes the look) - only quickly skimmed thru it but there are some good ideas.
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-r ... e-recipes/
Last edited by ZeroCook on Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 am

Grilled plump fresh sardines are a favourite here.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 am

Tony adores sardines, PP.
I think I need to get one of those double grill thingies, for fish and such like.

Thank Mr Zero for me. Every recipe looks excellent.
I got an email from my OH for Thomasina Mier's tzatziki recipe this morning. He wants me to try it out on him.
Not the falafel burgers tho unfortunately which sound great - but he likes these things meaty: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... a-tzatziki

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am

I've got a super piri piri sauce rather than marinade, for lemon prawns.
I might make a stash up - it sits in the fridge for a few days.

Postby Binky » Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 am

An excellent bbq/firepit you have there Gill. We have this one by Dancook

https://www.dancook.dk/product/dancook-9000

which we use as a firepit and have never cooked on it. We also bought the stainless steel lid so that it acts as a small table. It's outdoors all the time and looks filthy now (needs a wash before summer starts). Birds like to empty their bowels on it.... :?

This is it taken 10 minutes ago. Storm debris needs to be removed too. A job for our weekly garden maintenance man methinks.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am

Gill, I have one of these for bbq-ing fish https://www.amazon.co.uk/penobon-Grilli ... ljaz10cnVl
Also, one of these for small things like prawns, veg etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Premium- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
I've just seen that you can get individual kebab grilling baskets https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdelife-Non- ... 113&sr=8-9

Postby liketocook » Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am

Whole sea bream stuffed with lemon and dill and rubbed with oil or a small whole cod rubbed inside and out with harissa are two bbq favourites of mine. I'd definitely say getting a fish basket is worthwhile - they're great for veg slices as well. Squid rings tossed with oil, salt and chilli cooked in a metal colander on the grill works really well, it's a great way to cook small prawns etc. as well.
I do wish the temperatures would perk up a bit!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Birds like to empty their bowels on it.... :?

We've just bought an art deco stylee stone bird bath that the birdies seem to like. I'm hoping they don't use it as a birdie bidet tho.
I love your firepit too. This one was a tester for me, it was inexpensive (£50). And has passed the test.

Odette, I've taken my gas cylinder back to the supplier.
Personally I liked cooking on gas, but Tony used to moan that my bbq food didn't taste as it should, that I should just use the oven.
I shall miss the easy cooking side of it.
But will embrace the new woodfired approach.

Brilliant links, Pampers.
I've just bought the first rack, thank you. (Although I want all of them).

I do fold the firepit away, in its cardboard delivery box. Not leaving it outside.

LTC
I've put harissa on my shopping list, thank you. Just my sort of marinade.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Brilliant links, Pampers.
I've just bought the first rack, thank you. (Although I want all of them).

Now I do hope I haven't got that name because I'm full of s**t! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Only joking!)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm

ha ha ha.
Baby Face Pampers.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 04, 2021 5:42 pm

Looks like you're all getting in touch with your cave-girl side :thumbsup you'll soon be sitting out there sharpening your knives - just like me :D we had one for heat/looks a few years ago - bit of a faff - so it made way for huge patio heater - nice & easy - but if the smoke would annoy the neighbours, I'd get another one......... :mrgreen: in a heart beat!

Binky - very practical job there with the cover & lovely garden............

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 pm

Grilling fish is fun - it cooks so quickly and you don´t end up smelling like a bonfire :gonzo
BUT the grill can do two nasty things to a piece of fish: dry it out, or make it fall apart. To avoid drying it out, plenty of oil and a marinade. To avoid it falling apart, a fish basket is good, but so is tinfoil - or banana leaves over ´ere!!
Swordfish and tuna steaks are good, and I love any combination of lime/lemon, coriander, ginger, garlic, soy, coconut milk or coconut - maybe even a smear of thai curry paste.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 am

Thanks, KKA.
I'd love to get that thai feeling to some fish pieces. Banana leaf is an excellent plan - why didn't I think of that.

You're right about the bonfire bit - & my first fire I'd saved some Amazon brown paper, which created a vast amount of smoke.
Whoops.

Postby Binky » Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 am

Gill, there's an implement you can buy which is like a small rectangular cage on a long thin handle.

It's used for bbq'ing prawns, slices of courgette, fish etc that would normally fall through the grill or be too small to turn quickly and easily.

We bought one at a garden centre and never used it, so it went to a charity shop but I'm sure they're still available.

Edit: a bit like this but ours had a longer handle

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am

The main hindrance I have in these early days, is no lid. I'm cooking on an open fire.
Moments like this you wish you hadn't got rid of your 30 yr old wok, the lid would have worked a treat.

I don't know if you can see in my pic, I'm using an old microwave rack to stop food from dropping down the gaps. Prawns, kebabs will its on there fine in the short term.

But I foresee a big shop for proper kit in the next couple of weeks.

I do have a heavy cast iron smoker box 10inch x 5, for smoking wood on a gas bbq that you close the lid down on.
I'm trying to think of another use for it, but can't come up with anything.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 05, 2021 11:40 am

Gil, I'd definitely recommend adding a metal colander to your to buy list. Just a cheap one as they do warp after a bit. The one I use is like this (may well be a Wilko one) https://www.wilko.com/wilko-stainless-s ... 20Utensils and it's so handy for smaller bits that are prone to falling. It was a tip on a Guardian column a few years ago and I was impressed by how well it works. Particularly good for seafood but also baby spuds and keeping things warm.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am

LTC, I do have a metal colander that I don't particularly use. Preferring a sieve.
And a quick google via images, brought up this DIY bbq project using a colander too. https://www.instructables.com/Portable- ... led-Junk-/

seems like it is the bbq go to implement.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:LTC, I do have a metal colander that I don't particularly use. Preferring a sieve.
And a quick google via images, brought up this DIY bbq project using a colander too. https://www.instructables.com/Portable- ... led-Junk-/

seems like it is the bbq go to implement.

How inventive, I have a small potable bucket bbq that my son sometimes takes fishing with him but I like the idea of using a colander for the coals as the airflow would be much better. :)

Postby scullion » Wed May 05, 2021 12:46 pm

what a good idea. i have a massive ss catering colander in the loft that i was thinking of using as a planter - i may have to re-think that project.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox