Register

Firepit cooking aka bbq

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Firepit cooking aka bbq

Postby Binky » Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Don't you think it looks mighty unstable?

I wouldn't want a tub of hot charcoal or pellets balancing in an old colander. :o

Postby liketocook » Wed May 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Binky wrote:Don't you think it looks mighty unstable?

I wouldn't want a tub of hot charcoal or pellets balancing in an old colander. :o

I suppose it depends on the bottom, when I use the colander on the bbq it's very stable as it has a sturdy ringed base, when my son uses the bucket bbq which is a similar size but has rubbish legs he sits it in an old lipped roasting tray and has never had any problems with it tipping or moving. If I was using a colander for coals I'd be inclined to sit it in the tray too. This one is the same as our bucket one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224034434313 ... 107431b560

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Just a word of warning.
About 20 years ago, we invited some friends for a BBQ - found some glorious giant prawns and decided to marinate/flambée them on the grill and serve with grilled pineapple salsa. Prawns were nearly ready, so I took a cup of tequila and tossed it over the top.
WHHOOSSHH!!
Good job I stood back a bit. Probably one too many tequilas beforehand :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 am

he he he.
The dreaded tequilla. All sense of reasoning is abandoned. I had a frozen margarita party, and after 2, darling, nearly fell in the pond.

I think the colander might be more stable than it looks, although all open fires are a risk. And it looks precarious on the hard drive box rig up, I'll give you that.
2 bricks and a paving stone would be better.

I too had a bucket bbq and it wasn't going to fall over. They're actually very good - but I preferred it when it was £10. I think they are a price now.
I ended up planting it up with geraniums.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am

Lol no Gil I'd not be inclined to pay £17 for it, mine was a fiver in a Tesco end of season sale a few years ago. :D
Yikes KK you were lucky and what a waste of tequilla ;)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Has anyone mentioned cooking mussels in a foil bag on the bbq? They cook so quickly and you can tip them straight into a bowl to catch all the lovely juices.

We have a bbq/fire pit in the middle of our outdoor dining table which is great for everyone cooking their own steaks to their liking or toasting marshmallows on sticks etc...and for keeping us warm in the evening. You can take it out and put in a huge ice bucket instead. The problem is always figuring out which is the priority out of keeping us warm or keeping the drinks cold :D

Postby liketocook » Thu May 06, 2021 8:36 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Has anyone mentioned cooking mussels in a foil bag on the bbq? They cook so quickly and you can tip them straight into a bowl to catch all the lovely juices.

What a fab idea OMCO, duly filed for when we finally get some bbq weather. :yum It will not be mussels for me as they disagree with me these days, but the family will love it and I can have some clams instead. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 07, 2021 9:24 am

Ooo, I'll probably try that, OMCO.
My go to mussels recipe is Thai style - a Belgian friend gave it to me.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Lovely idea!
Two possible "sauces" for grilled mussels/clams, from Steve Raichlen´s "How to Grill":
1) Wasabi cream sauce: 200 gms cream, 1 tbsp wasabi powder, squeeze of lemon, salt
2) Sesame Coriander butter: 100 gms butter,3 tbsps chopped coriander(or parsley), 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsps sesame seeds.

Postby Amyw » Fri May 07, 2021 8:27 pm

I don’t know if I’d be slightly concerned the wasabi would overpower the shellfish a little bit . The other one sounds fab though

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 am

There's a Tessa Kiros book that covers the cookery of the Francophone world. There are chapters on Normandy, Provence, Vietnam, Guadeloupe, Réunion and several others. Most if not all have got a mussel recipe, all different. I hope I try the lot of them eventually. :yum

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm

That metal colander full of hot coals sitting on top of an old computer fan looks scary unstable :shock: Dude contraption :lol:

I have to say that much as I love fire cooked food I'm not a huge or frequent fire cook myself - too much ash and burnt on stuff to clean up. I have recurring fantasies of getting a hibachi - they seem to be very manageable. I suppose the colander grill is habachi-like! :D

I love little bits of things cooked over a fire on sticks. Yakitori pinchos and so on. I have a surprisingly good 70's book on Japanese food and cooking (one of those Time Life world cooking series found in charity shop) that has several versions of marinated grilled tofu that look good. I also happen to have a package of bamboo skewers that have only been used for the occasional cake testing :lol:

I also love vegetables grilled on coals. So good.

You're supposed to use beer, not tequila, KDKA :o Tequila - and lighter fluid - are for starting the fire :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 pm

You're supposed to use beer, not tequila, KDKA :o Tequila - and lighter fluid - are for starting the fire :D

Hahaha!!
Beer´s good for lowering the temperature of the coals - but the tequila - órale!!! :lol: :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox