Register

Best banana bread recipe?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Best banana bread recipe?

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Sorry all, failed to update :o .

I made the Mary Berry recipe. Perfectly decent cake but will try others as and when.

We have an Ocado delivery due next week, I'm trying to decide if I want to risk ordering bananas. I'm quite fussy about bananas and I'm not sure if they'll be "right" for me to eat, if not I'll have to make a lot of banana breads to use them up and I don't think we're ready for any more yet :lol: .

Postby Suelle » Sat May 01, 2021 4:03 pm

I picked up my copy of the free Weekend paper in Waitrose this morning. My first thought on seeing the photo of this Banana Bread recipe was that I'd be very unhappy if any of my cakes turned out looking like this, with a very stodgy under-baked layer at the bottom:

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitro ... bread.html
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Yummy scrummy carrot cake is my go-to carrot cake recipe (originally via Suelle) and a regular tweak is to sub pureed banana for oil, usually half the oil. Works really well and less ripe better for less banana flavour but all banana ripenesses work.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm

Suelle, that cake looks as if the texture would be terrible, you can see the split in the batter, it also lacks any additional flavour to offset the banana

Postby Suelle » Sat May 01, 2021 4:45 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
Yummy scrummy carrot cake is my go-to carrot cake recipe (originally via Suelle) and a regular tweak is to sub pureed banana for oil, usually half the oil. Works really well and less ripe better for less banana flavour but all banana ripenesses work.

That's an interesting tweak!

Postby Suelle » Sat May 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Suelle, that cake looks as if the texture would be terrible, you can see the split in the batter, it also lacks any additional flavour to offset the banana

Quite! Perhaps the clue is in her description as a 'wellness' expert. Perhaps it's a cake we're not supposed to enjoy! :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Looks a bit pale to me, Suelle! Probably the addition of carrot; but I think bananas take on spices very well, so a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla would certainly make a difference.
One thing that made me smile in the ingredients list was "2 British Blacktail Free Range Medium Eggs,
:? :?
I can only imagine the chef´s got easy access to those, but I wonder what Mrs Jones from some rural location in the middle of England would do!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Karadekoolaid - you will notice it also uses Waitrose Essentials butter - the purpose of the recipe is to get you to buy Waitrose own brands, it's not exactly aimed at chefs!

I wonder if people do actually follow these recipes in such a way they go and buy the specified products, or if they just use the brands found in their kitchens? I can kind of see the point if you are supposed to use a multi-ingredient product such as cake mix or pasta sauce as a base for a recipe, but not things like eggs and butter!

Postby Suelle » Sat May 01, 2021 8:29 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Looks a bit pale to me, Suelle! Probably the addition of carrot; but I think bananas take on spices very well, so a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla would certainly make a difference.
One thing that made me smile in the ingredients list was "2 British Blacktail Free Range Medium Eggs,
:? :?
I can only imagine the chef´s got easy access to those, but I wonder what Mrs Jones from some rural location in the middle of England would do!

It's a recipe in a Waitrose publication, so pushes Waitrose products. The photo gives the cake a very unappetising colour - I don't know if it's the addition of carrot or a badly edited photo!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox