Register

Favourite ice creams

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite ice creams

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:27 pm

I've got an electric Cuisinart ice cream maker which doesn't get as much use as it should to justify it's cost. I don't usually like commercial mint ice cream but I make a mint chocolate chip one using creme de menthe which is rather good. And although I don't drink rum, I do like a rum and raisin ice cream.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 pm

The Lakes strawberry

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Many years ago, the son of The Lakes Ice Cream company was always inviting my friend's daughter to go out for a meal, but she kept turning him down. Just think, all that ice cream! :roll:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm

There’s a pub on Tresco, an island in the Isles of Scilly which sell a peanut ice cream. It is scrumptious. I also love any caramel or toffee flavours. I do really like mini cornettos too (or the full size ones to be fair :D)

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm afraid I am partial to practically all imaginable ice cream and sorbet flavours, except rum and raisin or sherry trifle or similar ... consequently it's always very hard for me to decide what flavour to have and if OH has a different one to me I inevitably wish I'd had that :oops:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:02 pm

My absolute favourite is hazelnut, but I also like most flavours of really good gelato. I am not keen on the Mr Whippy type either. Purbeck ice cream is great, the only time I have had a chance to try it , I went for a blackcurrant ripple type of thing, but there were proper blackcurrants in it.

Postby Amyw » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:20 pm

Oooh that black currant sounds good and Keen Cook 2, food envy is the worst isn’t it !!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:17 am

Ice cream is something I eat rarely, have no real interest in the cheaply made stuff but like a really nice one. Of no use whatsoever is the information that W'rose used to do a clotted cream ice cream with apricots. Utterly delicious and no longer available. I remember some nice ice cream from the Scillies, one flavour was rose geranium iirc.

A properly creamy ice cream made with real vanilla is a delight, I've moaned before about the commoditising of 'vanilla' and subsequently the use of the word as a synonym of blandness. :evil: There's a Scottish brand, Mackie's I think, that make an unflavoured product labelled 'traditional', but customers call it vanilla anyway. :roll:

Ronaldo's gooseberry is nice if you're ever in East Angular.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Amyw wrote:Oooh that black currant sounds good and Keen Cook 2, food envy is the worst isn’t it !!

Glad it's not just me, Amyw :D :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Badger's Mate wrote: Of no use whatsoever is the information that W'rose used to do a clotted cream ice cream with apricots. Utterly delicious and no longer available. I remember some nice ice cream from the Scillies, one flavour was rose geranium iirc.

I think it is useful information - in case anyone wants to try to make something similar!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm

Clotted cream with abricots de Provence, if anyone wants to have a go... :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 am

I used to like the Loseley Farm ice creams, I think they had apricot and certainly Acacia Honey and Stem Ginger

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:47 pm

roskilly's coconut or gooseberry for me, or langage farm's (devon) thunder and lightening (used to buy it when i shopped more in tesco).
i like the adverts for kelly's though.

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm

Gooseberry sounds amazing . If anyone has ever made ice cream at home, I recommend Nigellas no churn method , produces great results

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 pm

I love the Kelly’s advert too, in Oxford I found a Kelly’s ice cream van, soft ice cream out of a Mr Whippy style machine, but proper Kelly’s flavour. Heaven.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 03, 2021 12:54 pm

I have haven't had ice cream in the house for a long time now, so I bought a tub of Kelly's Vanilla the other week from Tesco.... it seemed about the best one in the freezer I thought. However I was quite disappointed in that if I was doing a blind tasting I would have thought it was one of the cheaper ones. IMHO the best thing about it was the tub it came in . :roll: ;) :thumbsdown Perhaps it had been so long since I last bought/ate ice cream that my memory exceeded my experience :(

Postby Amyw » Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 pm

Horrible isn’t it when foods don’t live up to your memories

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox