Register

Favourite ice creams

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite ice creams

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Making the most of the nice weather , I’ve been taking my clients out down the beach several times this week . As they were getting ice creams , it would be rude for me not to .

Had a Ferrero Rocher gelato at Michael Caines patisserie which was amazing , and today in Budleigh had a Biscoff cone which was gorgeous too . Sometimes though I don’t think you can beat an excellent vanilla .

Re: Favourite ice creams

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:15 pm

I like salted caramel and have a really good Gordon Sweary-face recipe for it. But I agree, Amy, a good vanilla is hard to beat.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:58 pm

I've never even seen the flavours you've had this week AmyW!

I am always torn between strawberry, salted caramel, anything maple and rum & raisin. Vanilla's good too though!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:28 am

I like vanilla, I like most caramel or toffe flavours, especially dulce de leche, most fruit ones except strawberry (I don’t really like cooked or frozen strawberries), particularly lemon or raspberry ripple (had a posh version of that somewhere that was delicious), not chocolate or coffee, though I don’t mind choc chip or choc ices, not keen on bits of biscuit etc but I don’t mind nuts, tutti frutti or cherry Garcia

I don’t think I like green ice cream much - the choices being mint, pistachio and avocado, all of which I’d avoid

I just looked at Mövenpick to be reminded of flavours, they seem to have stopped making the rhubarb, loved that
https://www.moevenpick-icecream.com/uk/all-flavours

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:37 am

My favourite is Kulfi.

But otherwise, vanilla, always too. Even double scoop is vanilla with vanilla.

Postby Busybee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 am

Black cherry whim wham or black current and liquorice. I’m with Sue, no bits allowed.

BB

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 am

I'm the weirdo who doesn't really like it, it's too sweet and too cold!

Postby Suelle » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am

I like ginger ice cream, and will usually pick it from a stall when available, otherwise sharp fruit flavours like blackcurrant, forest fruits or cherry.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Renee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am

Vanilla has to be my favourite, but Italian style, which is lighter than the very creamy ice creams. Coffee is a second favourite.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:52 am

My likes and dislikes are pretty much the same as Sue, though I will make an exception for pistachio.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 am

I'd be pushed to find one I don't like. Not mad on the Mr Whippy's that come out of the vans. They always taste greasy to me.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:14 pm

We had Chilly cow yesterday. Salted caramel for me, choc for hub. I do not like choc at all.
But they also do honeycomb, eaton mess and rhubarb and custard, among many fine flavours.

Postby Wic » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:03 pm

The best icecream I ever had wasn’t strictly ice cream, it was sorbet. We were in Venice and I had a cone with a ball of raspberry sorbet and another of peach. Heaven. And ate it walking near the Rialto.

These days, more prosaically, I like the caramel ones.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 pm

I quite like the caramelly, maple and pecan etc ones too . I think they’re quite easy to get right as I’ve never had a bad one . I agree with Sue , though I love strawberries , I always think strawberry flavoured things just taste very synthetic. Chocolate ice cream is always a bit hit and miss too , surprised me how much I liked the Ferrero Rocher one .

Also honourable mention to Magnums and Soleros if we’re including the “on a stick” category

Postby halfateabag » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:18 pm

I may have mentioned this before but a very lasting memory of IC was in Krakow which was Pear and Dolcilatte in waffle cone. Absolute heaven. :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:36 pm

I dislike the minty ones, too much like toothpaste, and I'm with Sue on cooked or frozen strawberries.

When I had my shop we sold Yorkshire Dales ice cream.
(Made in Cardiff since the creamery burned down)
They did a natural ice cream which was my favourite. Light, white and fresh tasting without claggy vanilla.
The visitors didn't get it though, always asked if natural was the same as vanilla so we spent the summer explaining.

I had a blackcurrant cheesecake ice cream recently which was good.
Trying to remember who made it. Might have been Wallings.

Postby Amber » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm

I never used to particularly like ice cream,but I’m learning :) :) . I like vanilla, cherry, caramel, honeycomb etc, but my favourite cone is a pamplemousse sorbet. Perfect on a hot sunny day on holiday! Remember those?

As a child, we used to take a bowl out to Geraldi’s ice cream van. The best ice cream ever, especially with a broken flake crumbled through. And served in a tall plastic glass with a coloured base, that came free with lemon curd.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:40 am

I will eat any ice cream you give me 8-)
I love vanilla, passion fruit, dulce de leche, salted caramel, peach, black cherry, oreo, chocolate; I think strawberry and pistachio are distinctly underwhelming.
Probably the most divine ice-cream I´ve tasted in the past year or so was in Mexico: white chocolate and macadamia nuts.

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:11 pm

My favourite ice cream is pistachio. Made properly it has no competitors, imo.

I think it's difficult to find good ice cream in the UK; mass produced ices are greasy or soapy to my taste. The last memorable ice creams we had were in Zadar, Croatia. I had a mango one, and OH had a chocolate one which he pronounced the best he'd ever had.

We have a Moulinex ice cream maker somewhere in the house. The best ice cream made with that is fresh strawberries squashed to a pulp with double cream and churned for the required time. The drawback is that you have to keep the bowl in the freezer at all times which takes up space. An electric one would be nice but we can't justify the cost for a half-dozen ices made each summer.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Call me biased, but we all think the best ice cream in the world is made on one of our local village farms....

http://www.abbottlodgejerseyicecream.co.uk/

Honestly, it's to die for. As is their Jersey milk (which they deliver locally). :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox