Register

Flan tin sizes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Flan tin sizes

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 pm

After the disaster of my apple flan last week, I realised that one of the problems might have been that the flan tin was too small, because the apple would not sink into the custard and just got grilled.

The recipe called for a 23cm tin, which I used, but the sides are flared outwards, and 23cm is the diameter at the top. I could only get a 200mm (8 in) baking sheet in the bottom.

It looks like I need a 25cm dish when the recipe calls for 23cm. Do you agree?

Re: Flan tin sizes

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:04 pm

would it be easier to adjust the quantities that you put in the tin you already have?
https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Cake_tin_conversion_charts

or could the fault have been with the recipe rather than you?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Just what I was thinking, scully. Couldn't you just add a bit less apple?
It might be nicer and cook more evenly in an untapered tin though. Presumably it wouldn't completely fill a 25cm tin and might need extra pastry if the recipe is exact but I'd think would be ok.

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:33 pm

I can always adjust quantities, but I was just querying the tin measurements really. Whether the size "as sold" is the same as the one measured. I think that the Lakeland 23cm tin should take a 9" (23cm) baking sheet at the bottom rather than an 8" (200mm) one.

Postby Suelle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:33 pm

Which recipe did you use? Did it stipulate weight or numbers of apples, and if it was weights, did it stipulate before or after peeling?

If all the custard fitted in, then my feeling is that the amount of apples was wrong.

On the other hand, your tin would be a little on the small size. There's also deep and shallow flan tins to consider!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:55 pm

This was the recipe https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/so ... apple-tart

Number of apples, etc.

The custard didn't cover the apple. The apples came up above the side of the tin. I think that the clue may be in the instruction to roll the pastry out to a 32cm circle, which would give around 6cm (2½") up the sides on my tin, or 4mm (1¾") up the sides of a 25cm tin.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm

I've often found that the quantity of liquid/custard/whatever I'm using for the quiche or flan that is required is different from what is suggested in the recipe - I've always thought this is because even "shallow" or "deep" flan dishes or tins vary, and when you have one like yours, aero, that's flared, it's different again.

In the past I've worked out the rough quantity required by filling it with water and then measuring the amount of water in a measuring jug, taking into account the volume of the fruit or veg or whatever :oops:
Of course, you wouldn't be able to do that for a tin with a removeable bottom very successfully :lol:

125ml cream plus one medium egg doesn't strike me as being much liquid for a 23cm tin, and I'm not surprised it didn't cover the apples? But then I'm no expert :lol: If it struck me as being too shallow I might well have just added some more until I thought it looked right.

Btw, would you interpret the 800-900g apples as peeled or unpeeled?
If it's not specified in the recipe, ie "900g prepared apples" I always think it's a bit unclear. But then it could just be me :oops: The same goes for veg that require peeling.

The pitfalls :evil: :evil:

Postby Suelle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:04 pm

If the apples were thinly sliced and tightly packed, you wouldn't need a huge amount of custard, but that does seem a small amount, although it is in line with this apple tart recipe from Raymond Blanc, which is very good: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/appl ... lanc_93268.

He uses a smaller tin - more like yours - and fewer apples.

Rather than buying a new tin, which might not get used much, maybe next time just use fewer apples. Have enough ready, but only peel the last couple if they are needed, and don't fill the pastry case higher than the tin.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 pm

oooh, that's a lovely recipe, will definitely bookmark it :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm

All good advice! :)

I used 850g of apples, weighed before peeling. I left the apples a bit above the tin, expecting them to soften and sink a bit. But they stayed quite firm and just browned around the edges. It will be better next time...

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 pm

What sort of apples were they, aero?

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 pm

Braeburn from Costco. Pack of 10! :)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox