Register

Nduja

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Nduja

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm

It's fashionable, it's hip - so I went to Stokey Deli and acquired a jar of Diffori nduja, the soft salami spread and ingredient

I have had it in various things when eating out, though nothing that's a stand out memory, and I've had the Catalan equivalent, sobresada, mainly as a sandwich filling

So what have you made with it or even it in that's worth a try? I think I have enough for more than one experiment

Re: Nduja

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 pm

It is good spread on toast & topped with cheese :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm

One of the pubs near here serves nduja spiced minced beef on pizza.
It's delicious.

I can't remember what else they put with it so I looked at the menu, and it's too small for me to read.
Might not even be there any more, but have a look anyway.

https://www.the-castle-inn.co.uk/menus/

Postby Suelle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm

I bought a jar for a recipe which can't have been very impressive as I can't remember what it was.

I think what I didn't use in that dish was stirred into a 'paella style' rice dish with chicken and various vegetables.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 pm

WWordsworth wrote:One of the pubs near here serves nduja spiced minced beef on pizza.
It's delicious.

I can't remember what else they put with it so I looked at the menu, and it's too small for me to read.
Might not even be there any more, but have a look anyway.

https://www.the-castle-inn.co.uk/menus/

I can search it on my huge screen - a pasta (nduja Bolognese) and a pizza - Nduja beef, chorizo, spinach, pickled green chilli and red onion

What I couldn't read is the label, the brand is Diforti , the web page just suggests eating with bread - both local delis sell a lot of Diforti products, all good so far

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

I think it may have been seeing Nigella make pasta with cavolo nero and nduja on Cook, Eat, Repeat that made get it

This
https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ni ... -and-nduja

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Definitely on or with pasta or pizza. We have also added it to baked eggs. I vaguely remember adding a spoonful to a hot pan of crispy sautéed potatoes too.

We went to Tropea a couple of years ago and ate so much of the stuff, we even ended up on a guided nduja tour.

ETA...I have remembered that we have occasionally blobbed a tiny bit on top of a bowl of soup and swirled it in as a burst of flavour/extra seasoning/kick

Postby Suelle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I think it may have been seeing Nigella make pasta with cavolo nero and nduja on Cook, Eat, Repeat that made get it

This
https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ni ... -and-nduja

Now you've nudged my memory, I think that's what I bought it for too. That recipe didn't work very well when I tried to make it for one, just using the amounts of pasta and kale I'd usually use for one portion.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:05 am

Apart from putting in pasta, I've used it where I might otherwise have employed chorizo. Similarly I found half a tub of sobresada in the freezer and added it to a batch of chilli I made with a pack of pork mince also lurking in the frozen depths.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:03 am

Apart from pasta dishes and crostini/bruschetta, aubergine parmigiana with nduja; frustine (a kind of curly pastry), a strudel with nduja, mushrooms and mascarpone might work.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 am

I was going to say bruschetta or used somewhat like fresh chorizo or longaniza but I've never had nduja so don't know what the spicing or flavour levels are like. I have had sobresada, but have to say I was underwhelmed.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:11 pm

I have had sobresada, but have to say I was underwhelmed.

I´d add butifarra to that list as well. I tried both. Give me salami, chorizo, xistorra - something with a bit more oomph!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:08 pm

I think sobresada may vary a bit, we had some in Minorca that was delicious, but a different brand brought to bring home was less exciting, though still pleasant

A variant on parmigiana sounds interesting, I have all the ingredients

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm

I am not a fan of meatballs, but we needed an easy meal in the caravan last week, so I bought mini meatballs from Aldi.
Cooked them in the halogen oven in a tin of toms, onions, garlic, chilli, pancetta cubes and nduja. Served with pasta, it was delicious and is def on the menu when we are there again.
Unfortunately, I have to get a Waitrose delivery to purchase it, as it hasn't percolated through to rural Wales.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox