Register

Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Like the look of that peel and good looking pizza Binky. Did the kokopelli on the chef's t-shirt get a piece? :D

Would be very tempted to think about getting one of these contraptions but we're oversupplied in the outdoor cooking department : :| I've been looking at cooking pizza on our gas fired bbq ... anyone attempted that? A lot of suggestions about using a pizza stone. I think the Ooni has one built in?

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 02, 2021 4:15 pm

ZeroCook wrote:. I've been looking at cooking pizza on our gas fired bbq ... anyone attempted that? A lot of suggestions about using a pizza stone. I think the Ooni has one built in?

Friends in foreign places did it very well using cast iron frying pans

Postby Binky » Sun May 02, 2021 4:22 pm

We have the Weber BBQ cookbook, bought to go with our Weber kettle gas bbq. There is a pizza recipe but it looks a right faff.

You cook the toppings on a separate grill pan, and then place the pizza dough directly on the grill/grate. You still need to rotate the pizza base for even cooking. Just how you do this isn't explained.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 02, 2021 4:32 pm

ZeroCook wrote:I've been looking at cooking pizza on our gas fired bbq ... anyone attempted that? A lot of suggestions about using a pizza stone.

You can buy contraptions for putting onto a BBQ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaze-Box-Temp ... 875&sr=8-6

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Possible major faff.

That Blaze box looks a lot like the design starting point for Ooni, no?

I've always longingly looked at small used commercial pizza/bread ovens that pop up for sale but they're a huge price and you'd probably have to go into the baking business to justify one of those.

Ive seen bbg grill pizza articles that suggest placing and heating a pizza stone on the grill.

Which thermometer does Mr Binky favour, Binky?

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun May 02, 2021 5:40 pm

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that pizza cooked on a bbq would be more like one cooked in a hot oven rather than a one cooked in a very hot pizza oven with flames licking over the top of the pizza.

My understanding is a domestic oven (and possibly/probably a bbq?) cannot reach the 400C plus needed to cook a Neapolitan style pizza.

Postby Binky » Sun May 02, 2021 6:10 pm

ZeroCook, ours is a bog standard thermometer bought on Amazon years ago. I think it was under £10 at the time. There's no brand name on it, I've looked.

Imagepicture uploader

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 02, 2021 7:18 pm

:thumbsup Binky. Thx

slimpersoninside wrote:My guess, and it is only a guess, is that pizza cooked on a bbq would be more like one cooked in a hot oven rather than a one cooked in a very hot pizza oven with flames licking over the top of the pizza.

My understanding is a domestic oven (and possibly/probably a bbq?) cannot reach the 400C plus needed to cook a Neapolitan style pizza.

Thinking you're probably right. No top action.

Postby Binky » Wed May 05, 2021 5:19 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Like the look of that peel and good looking pizza Binky. Did the kokopelli on the chef's t-shirt get a piece? :D

Would be very tempted to think about getting one of these contraptions but we're oversupplied in the outdoor cooking department : :| I've been looking at cooking pizza on our gas fired bbq ... anyone attempted that? A lot of suggestions about using a pizza stone. I think the Ooni has one built in?

meant to reply sooner but clean forgot. No, that kokopelli man got nothing as this one got in first

We have a liking for the kokopelli man and the legends, naughty fellow that he is :D

Postby Pampy » Wed May 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Gill - just seen a bbq fish basket in Tesco - £4.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am

Wey hey, I'm on it! :thumbsup Tesco is our local supermarket.

I never did try pizza on the gas bbq. Although I do have a 30cm cast iron pan without handle that would get seriously hot.
I should throw it really as it's right at the bottom of the pan pile in the cupboard - ie I never use it.
But I'm sure I'll regret it the moment it's gone.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Big excitement today, my Koda12 has arrived :woohoo: :bounce: :bounce: :limbobanana .

We still quarantine goods in so it'll be Monday (probably) before it comes out for a try. It needs seasoning first so Tuesday will be the first day it may be used in anger :lol: . We have a couple of cheepie pizzas from Morrisons in the freezer for the initial cook.
I won't be getting an IR thermometer until the beginning of next month (birthday pressie) so will be winging the temperatures until then. I shall practice dough making and shaping until then, I will cook them but maybe not take it too much to heart if they go a bit awry.

Postby Binky » Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm

In the meantime have a look at the Ooni youtube videos. Some very useful advice there on techniques and temperature control. We are firing ours up on Sunday too (good weather predictions for this area). Good luck with yours!

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Cheers Binky :thumbsup .

I've been stalking YouTube since I read about your acquisition :lol: :lol: .

Enjoy your Pizza Sunday! Can't wait to get going properly.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am

I have just bought a wood pellet pizza oven from Aldi. Going to make a note of all your hints and tips, including Youtube.
I shall report back eventually.

Postby Binky » Sun May 09, 2021 11:39 am

I didn't know Aldi did one, but this looks an interesting copy. A Vango product and sold by John Lewis, so should be a good buy.

https://www.johnlewis.com/vango-camp-ch ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-table ... 9467648800

I had a look at the vango one, but can't see what fuel it uses - obvs not wood pellets

Postby Pampy » Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Looks like it's gas - one of the pictures shows a gas flame underneath the oven with arrows (I assume) showing the way the heat is circulated.

Postby Binky » Sun May 09, 2021 2:13 pm

This arrived a couple of minutes ago. Fajitas here we come!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun May 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Oooh Binky :thumbsup .

I've got my eye on one of those, think I'd best get to grips with the pizza making first though! :lol: .

I fancy giving these a try.

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/skill ... izza-rolls

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox