Register

Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

Postby Binky » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:52 pm

The maestro doing his stuff

and very relaxed as a confident bread/dough maker. One of the cats coming to see what's going on..nosey little beggars.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm

It all looks delightful and delicious Binky!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Great start Binky. The whole set up looks good.

We have the S2 version, when they were still known as Uuni. It's wood fired not gas and we've never got to grips with using the pellets, never had a good fire (hubby can actually get a good blaze going in a log burner, bbq etc) and certainly never had a decent pizza!

You'll have to keep us updated.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:51 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup :wino :wino

The garden looks good too :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:32 am

Lovely result. And nice to meet the OH, Binky.
We sat in the garden yesterday on our new furniture. Well, who didn't yesterday.

And a heron landed on my new shedio.
We don't have a water feature here - not like Kew where our garden was designed by R Llewellyn, and we regularly got unwanted heron visiting the fish.

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:54 am

We have a water feature (pond) but have never had anything exotic landing in it. Mostly wild critters come at night to drink- badgers, foxes and deer. There's a pumped waterfall too but OH won't switch the pump on as we have toads and newts in the pond and they would be sucked into the mechanism and killed.

Shedio (Lillevilla) at top of garden is where we used to camp out on summer nights before I became ill. There's a small gas barbeque in there and a kettle so we can sit on the deck and have coffee and a cooked breakfast.

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 am

What a lovely, peaceful garden - I'm sure you both get a lot of pleasure from it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Lovely garden - and newts!

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:18 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Great start Binky. The whole set up looks good.

We have the S2 version, when they were still known as Uuni. It's wood fired not gas and we've never got to grips with using the pellets, never had a good fire (hubby can actually get a good blaze going in a log burner, bbq etc) and certainly never had a decent pizza!

You'll have to keep us updated.

Having just spoken to OH, he thinks that a wood-fired home pizza oven wouldn't get up to the required temperature (400 degrees c). The gas ones go up to 500 degrees, but the recipe book says to cook at 400. You do this by twiddling the knob at the back of the oven. Our first was burned at the edges, but two and three were fine as OH dialled down the heat.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:48 pm

That's SO pretty.
Our garden appears to have turned into a bit of an aviary, since the neighbours cut down some trees last week.
It was a bit noisy at ours yesterday with the twitterings.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Supposedly the wood fired will also reach those sort of temperatures.......try telling that to ours :lol:. It is used with the door on for both heating up and cooking, I doubt it would get anywhere near with it open.

When we bought ours there were no gas fired ones. Had we been in the market for one now I would have gone for a gas or dual gas/wood version. Ooni do make a gas burner that will fit the 2 but it is really designed for the 3 and apparently will not get the 2 hot enough.

I'm pretty miffed with Ooni that they have moved on and totally ditched the early purchaser by not doing anything to help update their original oven.

Please keep me updated with your Ooni pizza journey as I might have to bite the bullet and buy a gas one.

ETA: You have a lovely garden.

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 pm

I am miffed with Ooni for a different reason. Their written instructions for setting up the oven are poorly written, and their customer services people are incompetent.

You are supposed to season the oven before use (normal for lots of cookware) but it isn't clear if you need to season the bake stone. I asked Ooni this question and this is the reply

So the folk there don't even know what seasoning is, or if their pizza equipment needs it. A poor show I feel.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Hubby bought our oven and has just sent an email to complain about the lack of support for existing versions of their ovens.

Probably nothing will come of this but no point in complaining to each other and not contacting them.

That's a rubbish response. This is the sort of item that needs Customer Service to actually know about their products.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Nothing to do with pizza ovens but I had a similar slightly pathetic exchange with Samsung when I asked if the self-cleaning programme on my washing machine would cope with limescale, they didn’t really know, though to be fair they did go and consult the developers

It was the “we don’t know because all mains water in Korea is soft” that annoyed me - by now they’ve surely sold more in hard water areas than in Korea?

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:53 pm

Yes, that is a pathetic response.

OH worked for a major car company, and they had to ensure that cars would start and be driveable in all weather and climatic conditions. You can't just cater for temperate zones, so he regularly went to mountain areas where the air is thin, and the inclines steep. He also tested in beastly hot desert areas and beyond the Arctic circle (in northern Sweden mostly). So, the Koreans should be ashamed to give you such a reply when they are an international company and sell in all parts of the world with different water hardnesses.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 pm

How was the pizza, Binky? How did it rate on the pizza scale?

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 am

Given that we have only baked three pizzas so far, and the third was the best of the lot, I think we have room for improvements. At the moment it's probably a 7/8 on a scale of 10.

We need to be quicker at turning the pizza so that edges don't burn, but you need a special metal peel for that. Ours is the bamboo version, for launching but not for turning or retrieving. I don't think customers realise how much extra kit you need, apart from the oven itself.

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:55 am

Could you turn and retrieve the pizza with the help of a set of long (bbq) tongs?

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am

Pampy, that's what OH used, bbq tongs. We will get the correct metal peel but they're on back order, and there's a rumour that loads are stuck on the ship that blocked the Suez Canal. Also, due to lockdown, people have been going mad buying plastic paddling pools, gas bottles, patio heaters, bbqs, and clearly Ooni paraphernalia.

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 pm

...and garden furniture - my sister ordered some last year and it arrived last Wednesday!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox