Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Seatallan wrote:EM, a friend of mine runs drumming workshops. I do hope you have a lovely drumming session. :thumbsup

I would love to attend a drumming workshop ... I've always wanted to play Bodhrán and my favourite song with a lot of drumming is Paul Simon's Obvious Child ... I also love the sound and rhythm of steel drums

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

there was plenty of drumming on Paul Simon's 1991 concert from Central Park on Sky Arts last night... unfortunately I tuned in too late to hear Obvious Child, so missed what would have been the high light for me. :( :cry:

Postby oat » Sun May 16, 2021 11:51 am

Pat hes on again on Tuesday at 12.15 am.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm

oat wrote:Pat hes on again on Tuesday at 12.15 am.

Thanks Oat ... I will record that one .. I did guess it would be shown again as they do this a lot on SkyArts .. :thumbsup :bounce:

Postby mistakened » Sun May 16, 2021 12:05 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I did guess it would be shown again as they do this a lot on SkyArts

Sky Arts is mostly repeats, it is often difficult to find something new on there

It has come over all cloudy here, not that that means anything.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Morning
I woke up around 5 when it was sunny, went straight back to sleep and it seems to have rained constantly since

I’m sure there are drum workshops round here, there are informal samba sessions in the park quite often

Oh, the sun is coming out :)

Have a good day everyone

Postby Suffs » Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Leifie growing up.jpg
Leifie growing up.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Photo from Gruney :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 16, 2021 12:58 pm

:wave: Leifie
Still got some way to go growing into those paws

Postby scullion » Sun May 16, 2021 12:59 pm

good morning, all.
dull and damp.
we are going for a walk today. probably not tomorrow as i have a blood donor appointment - and the car parks are charging again from tomorrow (all of cornwall) - shame there isn't a concession for locals...
we'll most likely get a coffee (and cake), there, and as we need milk, that will be bought on the way back.
what a full and interesting life we are leading at the moment!
very handsome pooch, gruney.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Morning all! :wave.

Leifie is so gorgeous, Gruney. Looks delightfully mischievous too!

Oh dear, Herbi. These things all happen at once don't they. Would it be worth finding a 'handyman' to do the fence to take the pressure off a bit? It might be worth the expense.

Love the Bodhrán too. Friends play them sometimes when we visit ancient sites and when we used to sit round bonfires at night (when one of our crowd had a farm where we could do that). Magical. Talking of drum-like things, someone brought one of these to show us yesterday - what a fabulous thing when played well!
https://www.cafago.com/p-i4797br-10.html

Hope your day is fruitful, Suffs.
Talking of sore arms, mine seems to be getting more rather than less sore feeling after 2 weeks and there is still bruising. It isn't tender to touch. Didn't have anything like that after the first jab. Hoping it'll sort itself out.

Planning on mostly walking this afternoon but can already hear the rain against the door :roll:. Guess I must wear a mac :cry:.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Gorgeous doggie!

Stokey Sue wrote:I’m sure there are drum workshops round here, there are informal samba sessions in the park quite often

I'm sure there are. I think it's the fact that school samba is held indoors that flagged up various "issues" for employers. There was a legal case a couple of years ago where a viola player successfully sued the ROH for damages to his hearing. This has impacted on instrumental teaching especially as most local education authorities are broke! Sadly Covid hasn't helped this one bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainmen ... 0the%20ROH.

My sister and B-I-L, both music teachers, respectively a bassoonist and a trumpeter, both have prescription ear/sound deflectors (they probably have a proper name) for when they are working with school bands, but they weren't cheap. I can't remember who paid but they were deemed necessary in the light of the ROH decision.

Postby liketocook » Sun May 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Leifie is just gorgeous.
Rain (and beer) stopped DIY play yesterday but today the sun is shining and the kids are cracking on. :)
The chilli went down well, for a massive panful there are only two small portions leftover!
I've promised the workers bacon and egg butties for lunch so just nabbing a cuppa and a quick noodle on here before getting that organised.
I've defrosted a 500g piece of sirloin for dinner, it's pretty thick so may risk treating it as a mini roast and cooking it in the oven instead of griddling it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Slightly crossed wires PP - I don’t think our local educational establishments do samba classes, though there are still a few steel bands around and a brilliant guy who busks solo in the park, my understanding is that the collective of musicians, singers and dancers that perform samba together is known as a school, and that’s what I was referring to

Postby Pampy » Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Racist?? I don;t think so. It's a play on words.

I can't see anything racist in it either so I just sent a text to a friend to ask what she thought - she didn't consider it to be racist at all (in fact, she found it funny)- and she's Indian. She made her usual comment - "I do wish people would stop taking offence on my behalf - I'm perfectly capable of doing it on my own when it's needed".

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 16, 2021 1:59 pm

I just did 3 hours in the garden. There is a distinct possibly I have pulled muscles in my right arm and lower back (hauling sacks of manure around) but hopefully not as I need to do more tomorrow. I only put up the lower wire for the clematis (I didn't have enough bits for the upper one) but I decided to plant the clematis(es is that the plural?) anyway. One is in flower! I finally planted out some potatoes, shovelled a load of manure, weeded, fed things, potted on a dwarf plum tree, a dahlia I had missed... and other stuff, some of it in the rain.

We also had a chat with the neighbour about the fence. It's clear that it's going to be a joint effort, primarily overseen by him :) I am more than happy with this. he is also happy to source and fetch materials. Even better. He was quite laid back about it although it sounds a bit complicated, and thinks we don't need to do it before the greenhouse is installed. So that's one thing less to worry about. I just need to tidy up the area and get rid of some brambles that are coming through.

Husband is off to play croquet this afternoon. Or at least meet the croquet club people... I don't think he's played since college days. The chap whose wedding we went to in Norwich in 2019 is a big name in croquet :)

I bought asparagus and Jersey Royals yesterday. Might have those for dinner. Hmm, do I need to have something to go with them?!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Wow Herbi! A productive morning! What great news re the neighbour and the fence too.

I was interested in the sound/hearing/music thing in schools so glad it cropped up here. I certainly want singing and music everywhere possible - the sort without electronic amplification too - but what lengths establishments where they are taught and/or enjoyed must have to go to to prove that guidelines have been followed to protect hearing - what a nightmare, even though of course, I value hearing and agree that especially in young ears, it must be protected.

It's stopped raining for a minute. I'd better go out.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Gosh, tired just reading about your labours, Herbi.
Glad neighbour is so accommodating.

If we get back in time from the van, i can start the 3 hanging baskets, which arrived just before we left on Friday.
Tesco order later, but there seems to be so much missing, i wonder why i bother

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Wow Herbi! A productive morning! .

i am usually ok once I get going. It's getting going that's the tricky thing. I kind of want it to rain now, so I don't feel guilty about not doing more. We had sunshine a moment ago!

95% chance of heavy rain at 4pm in central London, but not here till 7pm. At least tomorrow morning looks dry. I have the day off.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Well done Herbi, and good news on the neighbour and the fence

You’d not have got 3 hours here, I had a walk in the woodlands opposite, we had an hour of dry sunny weather then I could hear the wind change and it has started again

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Slightly crossed wires PP - I don’t think our local educational establishments do samba classes

I'll bet they do. It's on the National Curriculum. That's why there's so much concern in education authorities. When I was working in Harrow we had at least 4 Samba teachers and they all worked in other boroughs as well.

I've been to the Garden Centre and bought tons of stuff for baskets. I hope the weather clears up enough to plant them.

Postby mistakened » Sun May 16, 2021 5:24 pm

We have that deceptive high cloud that causes you to get burnt whilst on holiday, it may be cloudy but the UV index is high. We sat in the shade and ate the first of this seasons apricots.

Moira

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox