Register

Sodastream

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sodastream

Postby chihuahua8 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:37 pm

In an attempt to cut down on my contribution of plastic waste, I recently bought a Sodastream thinking that I wouldn't have so many tonic bottles to dispose of.
Has anybody else bought one and have you found it works OK?
The reason I ask is that after many attempts, I am left with a bottle of flat water! The CO2 certainly goes in but disappears almost immediately. I can't find any leaks and I'm totally puzzled.
JeanT

Re: Sodastream

Postby Busybee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:42 pm

I find that you need to give it a much longer blast than advised. It then holds the bubbles for a similar amount of time to bought fizzy water.

DS has one, it gets used in fits and starts to be honest.

BB

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I have one on a recommendation from Gillthepainter. It works fine and holds its fizz. You do need more 'presses' than the instructions say you do, so I suspect you're not priming it enough.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Chihuahua, which one did you get.
I've got the more expensive one (£100). Which has 3 settings which I can describe as = soda water - badoit - perrier

I press and hold until it stops at number 2, as I like smaller bubbles.

I'm guessing you aren't holding the button down long enough? Or the canister it came with is empty now - it doesn't last that long, but you should get a month use out of it.

You get fizztastic bottles too - they're fun.

Binky's got one ....

Postby chihuahua8 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Interesting, and I'm pleased to hear that it does work.
I don't think the cylinder is empty, but I have a spare so could try with that.
I have a suspicion that the seal between the bottle and the Sodastream may be the problem.
I'll have another go before I change the cylinder and let you know how I get on.

By the way, any reccomendations re preferences tonic/lemonade concentrates would be appreciated.

Cheers!

JeanT

Postby chihuahua8 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Sorry Gill, Can't remember the model and just had a look at all the paperwork.
I think it was probably the basic model.
JeaT

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:15 pm

chihuahua8 wrote:Interesting, and I'm pleased to hear that it does work.
I don't think the cylinder is empty, but I have a spare so could try with that.
I have a suspicion that the seal between the bottle and the Sodastream may be the problem.
I'll have another go before I change the cylinder and let you know how I get on.

By the way, any reccomendations re preferences tonic/lemonade concentrates would be appreciated.

Cheers!

JeanT

We've tried the Bottlegreen cordials. My favourites are rhubarb and the elderflower ones.

https://www.bottlegreendrinks.com/cordials/

Postby carrotdill » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:18 pm

my friend uses glass bottles with his soda stream not plastic

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:26 pm

I had a Mr Fitzpatrick's Rhubarb & Rosehip cordial to use with my Sodastream recently, really nice. I will be buying other flavours when we venture out to the shops again (there is a farm shop nearby that stocks them). They are not too sweet, at the moment I'm drinking Teisseire Passion Fruit which I find very sweet.

My Sodastream uses the glass bottles too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:41 pm

But I'm interested in Jean's question - not just soft drinks, but actual concentrates to make tonic of lemonade?

After all, it's how the bar taps work, but there don't seem to be good ones I've encountered for home use

The old Sparklets ones (many years ago) were vile, and the Sodastream ones I've had since not much better

This review in Gin magazine suggests they have got better
https://gin-mag.com/2019/05/17/just-the-tonic-syrup/

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Jean have you got a juicer?
You can juice 2 apples, and one lemon.

Add sodastream water, for refreshing sparkling lemonade in the garden.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Welcome carrotdill!

carrotdill wrote:my friend uses glass bottles with his soda stream not plastic

Years ago we acquired an old one from one of my brothers and that definitely had glass bottles. I decided that it was tasting funny so got rid of it and got a (relatively) modern plastic one, and that came with plastic bottles.
I think it more or less survived the kids growing up. I put it away, got it out again after a while and it was impossible to use. I don't know what had happened to it but there seemed to be no way of stopping it leaking everywhere.
I still had a couple of unused canisters, got in touch with sodastream and they sent me a free returns label so I could send them back to be properly disposed of.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 pm

I've had a Soda Stream for a number of years. It uses plastic bottles (which have to be replaced every 3 years). You push 1 of 4 buttons, depending on how much fizz you want. I always use it on 4. At first, I bought the Soda Stream concentrates but now just use ordinary squash and cordial.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 pm

I give my water 5-6 blasts. It stays fizzy for at least until the end of the following evening. My bottles are the glass ones. I have the Crystal one. I have never actually tried it with any flavouring...

Postby chihuahua8 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies.

I've fitted a new cylinder and I can see that it aerates, but the water isn't fizzy, which leads me to the conclusion that there must be a leak at the point where the bottle is attached to the cylinder. It looks as if the bottle is well-clamped but I do wonder. I might buy some of the classy glass bottles .........

I agree with Sue re concentrates - I'm not impressed either.

Gill - kitchen equipment - you name it and I've probably got it!

All I'm asking for is a bit of fizz in my G&T !

JeanT

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:55 pm

Gill - kitchen equipment - you name it and I've probably got it!

Good girl!

Time to take it back, Jean?

You should be thoroughly enjoying your fizzy wotter.

You could branch out and try campari and soda?
My MIL always asked for it.
I thought for once I'd try it in a holiday old fashioned bar that had it on their shelves. Delicious!

Tomorrow I'll video my water routine.
And you can see how fizzy it should be.

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

i've had iterations of sodastreams since the seventies.
i don't use their brand of concentrates (other than maybe their tonic water one - it's nigh impossiblele to get any other) as i'm not keen on the flavour of aspartame.
we use it for adding to elderflower cordial (and other's of the ikeaaaaa range of cordials etc), half and half with cartoned orange juice and as soda water, mainly.
also good for making tempura batter.
i give short blasts on the button and stop when it's given two 'farts'. that seems to work well for us.

you haven't accidentally dropped the rubber washer/seal from the machine when putting in the cylinder, have you, jean?

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:07 pm

chihuahua8 wrote: I might buy some of the classy glass bottles .........

Make sure that whatever bottles you buy are actually suitable for your machine. There aren't any glass bottles that fit my machine.

Postby chihuahua8 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:58 pm

You are a helpful lot!

Scullion, I can't see any washer, so maybe that's the problem. My lovely plumber is coming next week so I'll get him to have a look. Must say I'm pleased to hear that the majority of you have found the Sodastream to work for you. Love your comment when making tempura batter.

Gill, it would be good to see your demo. I'll wait until I've seen it before going any further.

I'll let you know how I get on later.

JeanT

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Jean, just a quick thought.

Could you possibly take and post a photo(s) of both the connecting end of the cylinder and the screw in socket in the machine? One of us may be able to spot a problem.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox