Register

Fridge Freezer

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Fridge Freezer

Postby Kacey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:05 pm

All ordered, delivery on Saturday, just missed the cut off for next day delivery. The only Miele item we have at home is one of their Cat & Dog vacuum cleaners https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appl ... 9-pdt.html and its absolutely brilliant. Can't comment on pet hair though as we have no pets.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:10 pm

That looks really good kacey

I have the vacuum too, though I have a stick as well it's very good

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 pm

I wanted a Miele but it wasn't in stock when I was ordering. Love the brand - I've got a cylinder vacuum of theirs and after 20 years and much manhandling by various workmen, it's still as good as it ever was.

Postby miss mouse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 am

Wic wrote:
We got a Bosch, it was the only one that seemed anywhere near the same internal capacity, but it’s rather disappointing. The space is poorly arranged and you can’t move the shelves more than an inch or two. I had to dispense with a door shelf to allow us to put a milk carton into it. However, it does keep things cold!

I think you must have the same model as me, also only three drawers in the freezer section, the 'deep box' is a complete shambles.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:34 am

In my heart, I'm shocked that Bosch doesn't produce a superb product.
However, our last dishwasher was useless. Overly long cycles, and didn't clean particularly well, despite my husband putting stuff in there pretty much already clean.

That's an excellent looking fridge freezer, Kacey.
We're Miele fans too.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:15 am

We have 2 Miele Cat and Dog. The very old one is up here in the loft with me and still works well. The other is on the ground floor and is superb. They are both at least 10 years old.

I bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple of months ago and it is the best dishwasher I have ever had. This one:

https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-li ... SMS46IW10G

I didn’t pay Bosch prices!

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 am

I love my Bosch dishwasher too, it was one of the reasons I was interested in their fridge freezers. Very glad I can stop surfing fridge freezer and now look for birthday presents for my lovely OH.

Thank you everyone for your input, much appreciated :thumbsup

Postby miss mouse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am

Kacey wrote:I love my Bosch dishwasher too,

I love mine as well.

Postby Binky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 am

We are Miele fans too. Oven, dishwasher, washing machine, heat pump dryer and downstairs vacuum cleaner. Our fridge freezer though is a Samsung and it's still going strong after 20 years.

Our only complaint is that the much lauded water cooler is a waste of space as it uses up a valuable place in the door which could otherwise be a useful shelf.

We don't like water standing around (prefer to use tap water, Sodastream and Pellegrino) so the cool water feature is never used.

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:53 am

miele dishwasher and washing machine here, too. each is fifteen years old or more and going strong.
i was fed up with a couple of zanussi and a bosch all lasting less than five years each (the bosch lasted until just past it's 1 year guarantee time).

i'm looking at a beko 50/50 without the water facility (we have a water filter tap). it may be nice having ice cold water (and ice) on tap but i'd rather have it tasting nice and more fridge space.

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:59 am

I was really surprised by how many have those water coolers Also how many are now 'American' style, especially when house footprints are getting smaller. Would that I had a kitchen big enough!

Postby Busybee » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 pm

I hated having to leave my American fridge freezer behind when we moved here, but a Victorian cottage and large appliances are not a good match!

Our water did taste nice so having it chilled on tap was a bonus. I have resorted to a jug of water in the fridge door, not as convenient but doable. I now buy a bag of ice every couple of months, I don’t have it much but OH and DS use it in drinks and cocktails.

Looking a the spec, can anyone tell me what Sabbath mode is? I’m intrigued.

BB

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:09 pm

I had to look that one up myself, apparently a feature where you can disable the lights etc when the door is opened, if you're following strict Shabbat rules.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:30 pm

I was intrigued about 'Sabbath mode' too. I'd assumed it was a lower setting for times (such as when on holiday) that the door would remain closed for a longer period than usual.

My Bosch dishwasher is 15 years old. It has had bits replaced including a pump but it's still going strong. I took out appliance insurance when it was several years old as it meant waiving the callout charge and any necessary parts plus they give you a new machine if they can't repair it. I've probably broken even (just) but they will probably tie it up with string in the end before giving me a new one and of course it will be another Bosch - but I don't mind that. Miele certainly has the best reputation for household goods.

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm

my neff oven has a sabbath mode. as i read it, it's a delay timed cooking mode so the stuff is prepared and put in the oven earlier on the friday for eating on the saturday - or any other two day period if you don't put the right date when setting up the clock!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:10 pm

How does that work with a fridge?

As mentioned earlier, whether or not the light goes on or off seems to make a difference :?. I think it's good if Shabbat food can be put into a fridge for food hygiene purposes so if that makes it acceptable it's excellent.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:21 pm

The problem is specifically with the light coming on

Wiki wrote:Of the 39 categories of creative activities prohibited on Shabbat, rabbinic authorities have associated at least three with incandescent lights. The overwhelming majority of Orthodox halakhic authorities maintain that turning on an incandescent light on Shabbat violates a Biblical prohibition on "igniting" a fire (Hebrew: הבערה, hav'arah), because the filament becomes glowing hot like a coal.[6] Some argue instead that it violates the prohibition on "cooking".[6] Another approach is that of Raavad, who would classify incandescent light as a third creative activity: "completing a product" (Hebrew: מכה בפטיש, makkeh bapatish: literally, "striking the final hammer blow")

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:38 pm

Aahhh! Thank you Sue. It makes sense now. I have learned so much whilst reading Claudia Roden's book on Jewish cookery but hadn't clocked that.

Postby miss mouse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Kacey wrote: Also how many are now 'American' style, especially when house footprints are getting smaller. Would that I had a kitchen big enough!

Those American Fridges are about the same size as my flat. The water thing packs up anyway according to the Cdn friend.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Kacey wrote: Also how many are now 'American' style, especially when house footprints are getting smaller. Would that I had a kitchen big enough!

Those American Fridges are about the same size as my flat. The water thing packs up anyway according to the Cdn friend.

It rang the faintest of bells from various memoirs of local Jewish life - some of the orthodox families employed gentile Sabbath boys to turn on lights and stoke up fires
Some of the boys were badly treated, but a number were encouraged to use the day spent quietly in a warm kitchen, waiting to be called, to study for their scholarships, lent books and so on. Trying to think of a couple of quite famous people who started out that way

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox