Register

Pasta shortage?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pasta shortage?

Postby cherrytree » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:36 pm

I was idly glancing at the front page of the Guardian website this after when I read that there is a pasta shortage. There certainly wasn’t one . in Booths this morning. I was only remarking yesterday that during this lockdown we had been spared incidents of panic buying. How stupidly irresponsible of the Guardian to publish such a story.

Re: Pasta shortage?

Postby Kacey » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 pm

I was surprised to be restricted to just 3 packs of pasta - didn't matter about the brand or size of pack - when I did my online Tesco order. I was expecting other things to be similarly restricted, but no it was just pasta.

Postby Suelle » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 pm

A lot of pasta is still made in Italy, so I'd be inclined to blame the difficulty of importing due to Brexit regulations.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Only the ‘egg’ type lasagne available on the Sainsbugs website today.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Yes. The girl on the till at Waitrose today said they’d been told it was a Brexit thing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Yes. The girl on the till at Waitrose today said they’d been told it was a Brexit thing.
I half expected it to be honest, I did buy an extra pack of spaghetti just pre-Brexit in order to be on the safe side

Shame I forgot to buy other pasta shapes

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:50 pm

The article suggests it is only lasagne sheets but people's comments suggest otherwise.

I still want to know why I couldn't get Marmite the other day - I suppose not so much brewing is taking place but they seemed able to launch the new hot one alright.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:20 am

To be honest I’ve expected other shortages as well due to Brexit and all I can say is I’m glad I don’t live in NI if the photos of the empty shelves shown in the press is the reality in supermarkets.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 am

I think that most of the major grocery retailers have stockpiled a significant amount of food in readiness for Brexit - we'll start seeing shortages when they run out.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I still want to know why I couldn't get Marmite the other day - I suppose not so much brewing is taking place but they seemed able to launch the new hot one alright.

There was plenty of Marmite on the shelves when I did the dawn raid on Tesco yesterday morning .. also plenty of bargains to be had after the weekend. Mainly where packaging had been damaged and some fish pie filling too :thumbsup I only went in for a couple of things for daughter and ended up spending over £70 :shock: but £20 went on a bottle of Bramble Gin and a tub of fat balls for the birds :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 am

Treats for all Pat!

I really do think that Sainsburys omit items from their online listings sometimes which one would find on the shelves if one went into the shop (the same shop where the order has been got up).

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:36 am

Not yesterday. No quark at Sainsbury’s either online or in store.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:45 am

We've noticed odd, rather random gaps. For a few weeks we couldn't get the brands of Felix that Ollie will eat and nor could friends in Berkshire (so it wasn't just a local thing). Tinned mackeral also went unavailable for a time (but only the one in tomato sauce) and so did basmati rice. We started a Brexit Cupboard months ago (we just ordered a few extra of various essentials plus a case of wine and beer) so we have an emergency stock of most things (including noodles, rice, various pasta, tinned toms/beans, bog roll, etc).
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Hub takes an inividually wrapped portion of cheese to work in his salad. I can no longer get the soft French President cheeses.

I have also noticed that fresh salad stuff is coming from Africa

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:
I have also noticed that fresh salad stuff is coming from Africa

I think that’s largely seasonal, a lot of stuff comes from outside Europe at this time of the year

Postby liketocook » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Seatallan wrote:We've noticed odd, rather random gaps. For a few weeks we couldn't get the brands of Felix that Ollie will eat and nor could friends in Berkshire (so it wasn't just a local thing). Tinned mackeral also went unavailable for a time (but only the one in tomato sauce) and so did basmati rice. We started a Brexit Cupboard months ago (we just ordered a few extra of various essentials plus a case of wine and beer) so we have an emergency stock of most things (including noodles, rice, various pasta, tinned toms/beans, bog roll, etc).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56328860

Seems your not alone Sea!

After last year's pasta shortages locally none of the supermarkets seem to stock anything other than the most popular types, plenty of those but limited in brand choice and variety.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:07 pm

LTC, just had a generic email from Sainsbury's confirming they have 'issues' with pet food (which are expected to continue for the foreseeable). Luckily, our friends have discovered you can order Felix direct from Purina and it really isn't any more expensive especially as you can order boxes containing only the flavours your cat prefers (so no waste) so we're on a roll! :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Seatallan wrote:LTC, just had a generic email from Sainsbury's confirming they have 'issues' with pet food (which are expected to continue for the foreseeable). Luckily, our friends have discovered you can order Felix direct from Purina and it really isn't any more expensive especially as you can order boxes containing only the flavours your cat prefers (so no waste) so we're on a roll! :D

Excellent, I might suggest to my sister that she does the same :)

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:29 pm

i was under the impression that rather a lot of pasta was made in this country (and some exported to italy). maybe it also has something to do with the availability of 'hard' wheat.
we are well stocked.
as are the cats - and bunny season has started so they can get a takeaway if we run short.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox