Register

Pasta shortage?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pasta shortage?

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:55 pm

There is less of a selection of 'foreign' cheeses in my Sainsbury's and British subs for camembert types etc.. I wanted some chevre. I also really fancied some jarlsberg but they only had slices. Cat food shelves have been very empty. Or at least the everyday cat food bit has. There is plenty of the posh stuff.
You never know though with my branch if it's a general thing or just them. Empty shelves were not uncomon even pre Covid and Brexit.

Postby Busybee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:30 pm

My noticed shortage is quite niche, Hartley’s sugar free orange jelly. Haven’t been able to get any in months.

I have a serious hankering.

BB

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:09 pm

I haven’t been able to find any green peppercorns in brine since the beginning of the first lockdown. I’ve tried Morrison’s, Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose so there’s not much else left. Love a peppercorn sauce with my steak.

Thinking about it I could ask DS and DD to look out for it in their locale, but it could still be ages before I get my hands on it as meeting up could still be a while away.

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Wolfgirl ... have you looked online? https://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/opie ... 1235-p.asp
Delivery is just about worth it if you have other stuff to order as well. Or if you use Amazon Prime they're available via them too.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:16 pm

Ooh, thanks Suffs.

Will have a browse as I’m sure there would be other items I can’t do without. Shame they have suspended their economy delivery charge but it tends to get lost if you order a few things. Have you used them?

Don’t do Amazon Prime.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 pm

I have been to Morrison’s <fanfare>

They have plenty of pasta, including lasagne. They seemed to have all their own value range in stock, quite a few varieties
There is much less choice of shapes than there might have been 13 months ago but enough, and all the main stores said they were going to carry a smaller range after lockdown 1.

There obviously have been deliveries from Italy as all Barilla pasta was out of stock a while back, but they now have a few types in the new more eco friendly packaging

Some of the premium Napolina bronze die pasta was on offer for £1 for 500g

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:42 pm

Just back from Waitrose. They had lots of pasta. No quark though.

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Wolfgirl ... someone I know with a catering business has used them and I've piggybacked on her orders a couple of times ......... but that was in the days when I could travel down to Suffolk to pick my bits and pieces up from her. As far as I know she was still happy with them when last we spoke about it ... but she's not doing much much outside catering at the moment :roll:

I've just topped my tomorrows Sainsbug's delivery up with some spaghetti and linguine as we had less in the cupboard than I thought ... there seems to be plenty available from the local warehouse ... but still only the De Cecco legg asagne, none of the non-egg types.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

I hope that Brexit scare stories don't become the new straight banana stories. :roll:

Postby cherrytree » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Thank you for all that. It explains everything.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I hope that Brexit scare stories don't become the new straight banana stories. :roll:

Yup!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:48 pm

We'll have to learn how to bend bananas again :lol:.

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm

and straighten cucumbers.

ps. no pasta shortage in lidl, yesterday.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox