Register

Sweet chilli sauce recipe tips pls

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sweet chilli sauce recipe tips pls

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi folks, any help or observations please?

I'd like to make a bit at a time to use straight away (or the day after if it needs to sit) so I don't need a preserve version.

Recipes use either dried or fresh red chillis - which is better? Or is there a good standard basic recipe? Also, if I don't want it too hot (which for me means not hot), should I use whole small chillis and fish them out soonish?

If the sauce tastes or will be as sweet as bottled is, me, can the syrupy part be adjusted to mitigate that yet retain a good consistency?

Ta.

Re: Sweet chilli sauce recipe tips pls

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:01 pm

Googling "sweet chilli sauce recipe" brings up loads of hits. This one mentions different ways of sweetening it https://www.daringgourmet.com/sweet-chili-sauce/

ETA : I make chilli apple jelly - just follow the usual instructions for making apple jelly but once the apples have been strained, add dried chilli flakes to the resulting liquid and leave to stand overnight to allow the flavour to develop. Then continue as normal.
Last edited by Pampy on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm

I make this recipe for Chilli Jam quite often - if Jam will do rather than 'sauce' :

150g Red Chillies
150g Red Pepper

both above need to be de-seeded and pulsed in a food processor

Dissolve 1 kg Jam sugar in 600 ml Cider vinegar without stirring

Add chilli mix to sugar mix and boil for 10 minutes, then fill 6 x 250ml sterilised jars

This goes particularly well with a Savoury Cheese Cake and both daughter and the weekend man are very partial to it :yum :yum :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 pm

I've never thought of making it, but it might be something to do if I end up with a lot of chilies from my plants, it just comes in a bottle with an amusing Healthy Boy label on it

Postby Amber » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:27 am

I use Nigella’s, which looks to be the same as Patsys. I usually use fresh chillies but have used a mixture of fresh and frozen in the past, without any problem.

As a topping for cheesecake? That sounds very interesting.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 am

Jeral: I used to make chile sauces, chile jams, etc. for sale, so I´ve been there, done that. I think the most important thing is really what YOU like, so it´s a bit tricky to give you some advice.
For example: I made ( and still make) something called Jalapeño jelly. The recipe is based on an American version, very popular in Louisiana. It involves chiles, sugar and vinegar, in the following proportions: for every kilo of chile, double the amount of sugar and about 60% wine vinegar. You get the spice, but the sugar kills it off mostly. However, I don´t know if you like the sweetness, or the acidity, so there´s the problem.
If I were you I´d give it a try with , let´s say, 100 gms fresh chiles, 200 gms sugar and about 60 mls of vinegar. I´d use a fairly mild chile, like a jalapeño, for example, and see how it turns out. It´ll keep for ages in the fridge.
With dried chiles you need to rehydrate them most of the time and that complicates matters a little, so I´d suggest you use fresh. Chile heat varies remarkably.
If you want to see what I used to make, google " Masala Sabe Bien" and look at the photos.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 am

Amber wrote:I use Nigella’s, which looks to be the same as Patsys. I usually use fresh chillies but have used a mixture of fresh and frozen in the past, without any problem.

As a topping for cheesecake? That sounds very interesting.

I first saw this on an episode of Come Dine With Me... when we all watched it in the days of the BBC food board...

The original savoury cheesecake goes like this:

2 tubs soft (cream) cheese
250g grated mature cheddar cheese
3 garlic cloves garlic finely chopped or crushed
2 eggs
JAR of red pepper jelly

Mix all ingredients together, with 1 Tblspn of jelly.
transfer to a greased circular spring form baking tin (about 20cm diameter)
bake 40-45 mins in hot oven. Cool and transfer to plate
Top with rest of red pepper jelly. Serve with water biscuits or melba toast

My own variation:
I omit the jelly from the cheese mix, but add some grated parmesan for a stronger taste
I make a base for the cheesecake using crushed cream crackers (or any other savoury biscuit) and melted butter
I serve my own chilli jam on the side

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi folks and thanks for all comments and recipes for sweet chilli sauce :)

I think there's sufficient for me to see what and how to adjust the sauce to suit me. Things like more or less acidity or sugar (or variation of types of those) or additions like garlic and ginger. I'm happy to test and taste to get there.

Cheesecake with cheese and sweet chilli sauce sounded like an odd coupling at first but it's easy to envisage the sauce with a crumbly cheese, e.g. Cheshire or feta. as a nibble, so why not?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:24 pm

jeral wrote:Hi folks and thanks for all comments and recipes for sweet chilli sauce :)

I think there's sufficient for me to see what and how to adjust the sauce to suit me. Things like more or less acidity or sugar (or variation of types of those) or additions like garlic and ginger. I'm happy to test and taste to get there.

Cheesecake with cheese and sweet chilli sauce sounded like an odd coupling at first but it's easy to envisage the sauce with a crumbly cheese, e.g. Cheshire or feta. as a nibble, so why not?

More cheese and absolutely no sugar in this (savoury) cheesecake Jeral . ;) ;) ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:28 am

Savoury cheesecakes are divine!
I had a friend (about 20 years ago!) who served herb and garlic ( tasted gloriously of boursin) and smoked salmon cheesecakes. Absolutely to die for.

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:07 pm

I made a savoury cheesecake at Christmas and it was fab . When you think about it , it’s basically a riff on cheese abd crushed crackers

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:24 pm

I wish I could find my recipe for sweet chilli sauce. It won me 2 stars at the Great taste awards in 2008 and I could never make enough of it. I put lemongrass, lime leaves and galangal in it (plus some other stuff) and zizzed it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:11 am

Amyw wrote:I made a savoury cheesecake at Christmas and it was fab . When you think about it , it’s basically a riff on cheese abd crushed crackers

With a couple of eggs thrown in ;) :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox