Register

Risotto

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Risotto

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:58 am

Now I really do love a risotto. Unfortunately OH doesn't do rice so I'm in a minority. I have found my Instant Pot to be absolutely brilliant for risotto and can't wait to try out Lindsey Bareham's Recipe of the Day.

http://www.lindseybareham.com/leek-and-bacon-risotto/

He will have to have sardines on toast. Again.

Re: Risotto

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:47 pm

I also love a good risotto. that recipe looks very good, although I´d have to make it for myself, like you, because wife will not eat anything resembling onion, leek, shallot or spring onion.
Don´t you think the photo looks a bit dry for a risotto? I don´t see the creaminess there.

Postby Suelle » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:51 pm

I've found risotto (and similar things like Spanish rice (non-authentic paella)) to be one of the few rice dishes that can be made in single portions.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:12 pm

a bit dry for a risotto

I agree, it's more like a fried rice.

Risotto is a favourite here.
I tend to keep the flavours quite simple, often broad beans with smoked bacon and sage, or prawn and pea with parsley.

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Don´t you think the photo looks a bit dry for a risotto? I don´t see the creaminess there.

i think it's a photo of while it's cooking, just after the rice has been added (and before the other stuff is cooked yet, too) rather than the finished dish - savoury rice pudding looks less interesting than the vibrant green veg.

risotto is only made in this house in order to make arancini. of itself, we both find it rather boring.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:40 pm

I agree, that’s a picture of half cooked risotto, you can see that the leek is still raw.

It has enough veg to stay moist whatever you do to it I think

Postby Suelle » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I agree, that’s a picture of half cooked risotto, you can see that the leek is still raw.

It has enough veg to stay moist whatever you do to it I think

If you read the text before the recipe, it does say that. She also says, at that stage the dish can be left for a while to complete, by adding the liquid, later - although I can't quite see the point of doing that..
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:38 pm

ike PP, I also use my Instant Pot to cook risotto. In fact I had never cooked it before and only once have I ordered it in a restaurant ... I find it's one of those foods that's overrated (see other thread), but I don't actually dislike it .. I use a recipe from the Instant Pot cookery pot that is sponsored by the official Instant Pot as the timing is quite critical. :thumbsup
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:48 pm

OH makes fantastic risotto. In the days when we used to have friends round for supper they have been know to request one!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:15 pm

For those who make risotto in an instant pot - you´re missing the stirring. What makes a good risotto so unctuous and creamy is stirring, stirring, stirring.
I´d agree, however, that risotto requires a few ingredients. Risotto al fungi - a delight. Risotto with prawns - delish. Risotto with broccoli, asparagus, carrots, peas, mushrooms and green beans - a disaster.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 pm

And I´ve just remembered one of my first dinner parties at Uni - I invited people round for "risotto" ( had absolutely no idea how to make it).
It ended up something like 2 packets of Uncle Bens and a packet of Birds Eye mixed veg. Dessert was Angel Delight.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those were the days!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:03 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:For those who make risotto in an instant pot - you´re missing the stirring. What makes a good risotto so unctuous and creamy is stirring, stirring, stirring.

I think you need to taste the Instant Pot risotto before condemning it for lack of stirring! :D To be honest my experience is that the quality of the rice is at least as important as the stirring

I seldom make risotto, though I do like it, and I enjoy the ritual of standing with a glass of white wine, stirring away

I used to make a plain risotto Milanese (saffron) for OH as a side dish with osso bucco or other things but I seldom bother just for me, though there will certainly be asparagus risotto when the season starts in a few weeks

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:And I´ve just remembered one of my first dinner parties at Uni - I invited people round for "risotto" ( had absolutely no idea how to make it).
It ended up something like 2 packets of Uncle Bens and a packet of Birds Eye mixed veg. Dessert was Angel Delight.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those were the days!!

I've said it before - everytime I see 'Angel Delight' I'm right back in school when we nicknamed someone just that - because she was 'easy to make'........... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:57 pm

asparagus risotto

Ah yes, another favourite.
I used to batch cook it for mum and freeze it in miniscule portions.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 am

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a risotto recipe made in an Instant Pot? I like risotto and would like to give it a try in the IP.
A number of years ago, I saw Gino D'Acampo making risotto on tv - he just put all the stock in at once and just occasionally stirred it. He said that it produced results just as good as that done by the stirring method. How true that is, I don't know.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 am

I certainly don’t see much difference in adding the stock one ladle at a time and just adding it in a couple of wallops with a final adjustment of volume

OH often used to distract me so it didn’t get constant stirring, didn’t seem to make much difference as long as it got some

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:34 am

I think you need to taste the Instant Pot risotto before condemning it for lack of stirring!

Not condemning it, Sue; i´ve never tried it in a one pot, so I´d be crass to knock it without trying it. :D :D The thing is, stirring the rice allows air into the risotto, so every grain cooks equally. Secondly, it stops the rice burning on the bottom (perhaps that doesn´t happen in a one pot), and thirdly, stirring helps release the starch in the rice, which is what makes it creamy.

Postby Amber » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:49 am

Delia does a mushroom risotto that’s cooked in the oven. I haven’t had it for years, but I remember it as being ok.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:41 am

Pampy wrote:Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a risotto recipe made in an Instant Pot? I like risotto and would like to give it a try in the IP.
A number of years ago, I saw Gino D'Acampo making risotto on tv - he just put all the stock in at once and just occasionally stirred it. He said that it produced results just as good as that done by the stirring method. How true that is, I don't know.

I’ll find the one I use when I next get on the PC Pampy. I think it’s on their FB group which for some reason my IPad won’t access.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 am

:thumbsup Thanks, PP!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox