Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Always have to have salt and vinegar on chips . I only ever really ketchup with thin fries but like mayo with thicker cut chips .

Cheesy chips are lovely but I don’t get the whole chips and gravy thing . Even though it’s been forever since I’ve had a chippy tea , one of my favourite orders is battered sausage , chips and curry sauce but the curry sauce has to be on the side to dip the chips in

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:45 am

I wasn't a great fan of fish & chips as a young child but would have had pie or battered sausage instead. I used to like Worcester sauce on the Kate & Sidney and 'tomato sauce' on the chips. Just tomato with the sausage, or on the very occasional bit of chicken. Sometimes it would have been fishcake or battered roe. These days it will be fish, rock eel if available. Just S&V (plus pickled onions/wallies/walnuts) although if we have fish fingers at home or in a sandwich elsewhere I'll have tartare with them.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:29 am

Tomato ketchup .... just don't get it .... Brown sauce for me every time :yum

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am

On seasonings for chips, I use a Polish soup seasoning (it is like savoury salt).

I also make an apple chutney in Autumn and wizz it smooth and it is very much like brown sauce but a bit thicker and hubb is my taster to get the flavour right. He has it on sausage sarnies.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am

Salt and vinegar for me. No gravy, curry sauce, mushy peas or anything else. Tartare sauce and garden peas perhaps the exception if eating in a non-seaside cafe/restaurant which is different to proper chip shops.

I find tomato ketchup quite a useful ingredient for things like nutloaf and mince dishes. The only thing I really quite like it with is cottage pie. I liked brown sauce when I was a child but find it too overpowering these days I like mustard with hot dogs etc.

Postby mistakened » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:56 am

I do not understand gravy or curry sauce with chips. The whole point of chips is that they are crisp. However, I do like a like a good tartare sauce or perhaps mayonnaise as a dip.

Moira

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:25 pm

When I was still at school in Bath, I visited my sister who was at university in Manchester. I tried chips and gravy for the first time and was hooked. I decided I simply had to go to a Northern university as a result but failed to do sufficient due diligence and was very disappointed when I got to Leeds and realised gravy with chips was hard to find!

I know I am in a vast minority but I find most sweet things overrated and probably only have something sweet a couple of times a year. A bar of chocolate could be in the house for a year if I was the only resident. OH on the other hand is like a bottomless pit when it comes to chocolate and ice cream….

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:59 pm

I´ve just trawled through the entire thread and have failed to notice any mention of doughnuts.
When I was last in the USA, we had a whole box of Krispy Kreme delivered to the house. Very underwhelming, IMHO.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Related, I dislike doughnuts and although I really like a few specific cakes I am always surprised that people get excited by generic cake without knowing what it is!

Clearly it’s a texture thing - I don’t like bland spongy flour based things but I will eat good bread even without a spread

KK!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:46 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Salt and vinegar for me. No gravy, curry sauce, mushy peas or anything else. Tartare sauce and garden peas perhaps the exception if eating in a non-seaside cafe/restaurant which is different to proper chip shops.

I find tomato ketchup quite a useful ingredient for things like nutloaf and mince dishes. The only thing I really quite like it with is cottage pie. I liked brown sauce when I was a child but find it too overpowering these days I like mustard with hot dogs etc.

I'm glad you've mentioned this EM :thumbsup . Both myself and hubby tend towards 'digestive distress' if we eat more than a very small ammount of tomato (including tinned tomatoes, pasatta and puree) so side step them as a rule. However, hubby has no problem with tomato ketchup (not something I like much) and I'm the same with the bbq sauce I make that is based on tomato ketchup. I shall try using ketchup in sauces to see if it can be used as a substitute. My initial thought is it might be a bit sweet but I believe there are reduced sugar versions (walks away in deep thought scratching head).

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:11 pm

slimpersoninside - I do mean a squirt or two to enhance, not masses in place of puree or pasta. I think that's what you meant too but I once visited people who made 'spaghetti bolognese' by adding a vast amount of ketchup to mince and I don't recommend it!

Krispy Kremes! In the USA, warm and fresh off the conveyor belt - food of the gods! Not quite so good here when they hang around in boxes for a while but still quite acceptable.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:09 pm

For the first time in years I had freshly cooked doughnuts on Saturday , cooked right in front of you , dipped in sugar . They were amazing .

Apart from that I love fresh cream doughnuts and custard filled but all the Krispy Kremes etc leave me cold . I do have a sweet tooth but I think somethings are just adding sugar in various types for the sake of it

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:34 am

Ah, Pepper - missed that one.
EM - I had my Krispy Kremes in Cincinnati and wasn´t impressed. I suppose my tastebuds historical archives had probably logged in the jam-filled doughnuts from Maidstone Grammar School´s Tuck Shop, back in the 1960s. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 am

I reckon the two main features of doughnuts are freshness and generosity of filling. They've been commoditised now and are seemingly fourpence a dozen. I'd happily pay a lot more each for nice ones than a cheap bagful.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 am

Doughnuts, hot out of the pan and tossed in sugar from the Flora Tearoom on Dunwich beach .............. bliss ........... nothing to compare. :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 am

There are so many different kinds of doughnut/donut though. Each with it's own merits.

British filled ones, as Kk and BM suggest, have become very mediocre since the packs bought in supermarkets have become the norm. Proper bakery ones or good homemade ones are a different animal and need just the right amount of filling and fat and sugar coating. Seaside ring donuts - which I always assumed were copied from the USA - again, need to be just right as Suffs describes. Krispy Kremes are different altogether, possibly the ultimate offering in encouraging overeating as they are so light you could eat several before the sugar hits - and selling in boxes of 12, even when bought in stores where they are made, encourages this as there are so many flavours to try. When I first went to Portland, Or. The Krispy Kreme 'factory' had only just opened. Cars queued round the block to get there and whilst you queued inside they came round offering trays of free samples so you could have eaten several before being served. A few years later, the novelty had worn off. There was never a queue outside and not much of one inside.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:32 am

The Dunwich ones are round fat and filled … or they were last time I had one … it’s been too long …

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:58 am

We need a trip!!

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:10 pm

:bounce:

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am

Has anyone mentioned Mushy Peas, that is a dish that has no purpose

Moira

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox