Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm

cupcakes.
and icing in general, especially on bland cake.
risotto.
bread and butter pudding.
batter (yorkshire) pudding.
whisky.
there are probably a few more.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Ah yes, cupcakes.
Known as buns when I was a child.

Mum was an ex professional baker so the tins were always full of cherry buns, butterfly buns, coconut buns and tray bakes.

I particularly enjoyed something she called "sultana pasty" which I suppose was a bit like a tray bake Eccles cake but with plain shortcrust.
We had it buttered on the first day and with custard on the second.i always found the buns pretty boring and would have loved a luridly iced, additive filled supermarket cake.

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 pm

My husband was the youngest child and he helped his Mum in the kitchen. His favourite buns were butterfly buns, and he cut the tops off in readiness for the buttercream filling. He also got to lick the bowl and wooden spoon of raw cake mixture.

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:16 pm

It sounds like the sultana pastry is more like a Chorley cake.
I thought that RTC was ready to cook too! :lol: :lol:
I can't see the passion for cupcakes either.
I can eat chicken wings but do find them messy and fiddly.
I don't eat dark meat or pork so can't comment on them.
I can take or leave truffles.

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:33 pm

isn't a Chorley cake a flattened version of an Eccles cake?

Our local baker used to make the large flat sultana pastries in a tin, then cut them into rectangles. Very chewy from memory (this was 55 years ago). He also made something called Russian slice which was a rum-flavoured sponge with feathered icing on top.
(sorry, I'm going off topic here).

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Fuller’s Cake Shops used to make Russian cake which I adored but I think it was more spongey than that Binky. I must investigate.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm

I have never knowingly eaten chicken wings, but I concur with many. I fail to see the excitement of chewing on a scraggy bit of bird. :lol:
As for cupcakes, they make my blood boil. Not that I wouldn´t eat them; just that they´re way, way over-rated , and excessively expensive for what they are. My mum used to call them iced buns and we had them every week!
Bread & butter pudding, bread sauce, rice pudding, Queen of puddings, suet puddings. Uninspiring, bland and about as exciting as a wet weekend in Sheerness.
And here´s a controversial one. Pizza. Thoroughly over-rated. It´s just a chunk of baked bread with stuff on top.
Don´t get me wrong; I really enjoy one, but to go out, especially for a pizza? Gourmet pizza?? Nahhh!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Ha! Something else I can’t be bothered with, Felicity’s having a go at pretzels.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ity-cloake

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Binky wrote:isn't a Chorley cake a flattened version of an Eccles cake?

Noooooo! :lol:
Eccles cakes are made with puff pastry and use a mix of currants, raisins and sultanas. Chorley cakes are made with a type of shortcrust pastry and only use currants (we called them dead fly cakes). Chorley cakes aren't usually sweetened, whereas Eccles cakes are. But yes - Chorley cakes are flatter than Eccles cakes.
I went to Eccles Grammar School and in all my time doing what was then called "Domestic Science", we never made Eccles cakes!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:55 pm

Fuller’s Russian Cake. I’d forgotten about Geraldine Holt. I have a couple of her books and they are very good reads.

https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/cake18750c0 ... ssian-cake

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:08 pm

Cupcakes are made from a runny batter mixture and are quite big with a ton of icing on top and came from the USA. The variety of fairy cakes/buns that we used to have were smaller and made from a sponge cake mix with a nice balance of icing to cake. Somehow, the two have melded into one to younger generations.

Fuller's cakes! When my grandfather came to visit he always brought one which was sponge sandwiched with some sort of cream and pink icing with delicious raspberry flavoured decorations. It was a delight both to look at and eat.

Postby Busybee » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Dead fly pie is one of my childhood favourites, really like both Eccles cakes and Chorley cakes, Chorley having the edge.

I’m with Suffs and like chewing on a succulent bone so chicken wings are ok but I prefer them not in a sticky sauce.

Quite agree on chicken breast and fillet steak, much prefer thighs and to be honest whilst I like beef I don’t often choose to have steak. If OH and DS are having steak I will be having lamb chops instead.

Asparagus, take it or leave it, same with truffles (both sorts). I don’t dislike pasta but find it’s a bit boring.

Pulled pork is an abomination. Like slow cooked pork but not with the cloying sweet sauce.

It’s a good job we don’t all like the same things.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:23 pm

As I've said, I love truffles. Which is a good thing as most of the food lauded as luxury is not an option for me.

overrated, imo:
ice cream. I just don't get why people love it so much. I don't dislike it but if a dessert came with it in a restaurant and there were an equally nice pudding, I'd go for the one without ice cream.
I am a cream person. I read an (American?) article ones disparaging the British for liking cream so much, and serving it with everything (alas no more. iIce cream has taken that spot.) so maybe in other people's opinions this is overrated.
Over-decorated cakes, especially ones with rollable icing. So I suppose 'cup cakes' (although to me, these are those very mass produced (Mr Kipling? McVitees?) things with thick sticky, flat icing on them edit: what you are referring to, EM?) might come under this umbrella, albeit not with horrible rollable icing. I admit I probably don’t ever want to eat them, though, primarily because they are difficult to eat without getting messy.
pancakes and donuts. I just don't get these either. My young colleagues go crazy for donuts. I have only ever eaten one donut that was worth the calories. (M&S c. 1987.)
Brownies. Also not worth the calories. And served as a dessert with ice cream... :shock:
apple pie. Yeah it's nice but it's not that nice. (But then, I am not keen on cooked apples or pears.)

My mother used to make butterfly cakes/buns too. What they seem to call fairycakes these days i.e. small sponge cakes were called buns in our neck of the woods. We also had bread buns...
wiki: "From Middle English bunne (“wheat cake, bun”)" It also says that it's the northern term for a cupcake...

I don't think pizza is over-rated in principle, but it's really that I have a really good one.
Is risotto supposed to special?! :)

I assumed my disappointment with steak was possibly not having ever had a good one.

Postby mistakened » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm

I am with you on cupcakes, I also find that local favourite. Kleftico overrated, usually far too greasy
As for Quinoa, tasteless

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I think it was more spongey than that Binky.

well, now i want to know, how you know, how spongey binky is!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:28 pm

:lol:

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Oi, who you callin' spongey?

I'm a very elegant and svelte woman, maybe a bit more well-upholstered than most, but not an actual porker.

<button on pants waistband goes ping>

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Oh yes - quinoa, bulger wheat, couscous - I find they're like eating sawdust (well, what I imagine sawdust to be like!).

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox