Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Afternoon tea..
A waste of calories!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:That might be the wrong link Sue.

I wondered why it said technology. Doh!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/ellis_barrie

Thanks Sloe Gin

Postby Suffs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:54 pm

I’d think that method is likely to produce a scrambled egg effect

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Afternoon tea..
A waste of calories!

I reckon to do it once a year with a bunch of chums. But yes. Deffo a waste of calories. The social aspect is nice though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Suffs wrote:I’d think that method is likely to produce a scrambled egg effect

Yup and 75g pancetta but 100g Parmesan for 2 people? I think I probably use more cheese than, say Giorgio Locatelli would recommend but nowhere near that much!

Postby scullion » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm

A waste of calories!

not if it includes clotted cream - on jam, on scone.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:53 pm

I've said before that neither steak nor pizza really excite me. I don't dislike either and sometimes enjoy them but am rarely tempted to order. The first mouthful or two can be nice enough but every subsequent one tastes the same and becomes boring before it's finished. I've never got the fuss about foie gras. I didn't try it for years in deference to my upbringing and was underwhelmed when I eventually did.

Afternoon tea is like an indoor picnic I suppose, a social occasion. Betty's is nice enough, the fat rascals and curd tarts especially, but I don't like the way they have tried to claim they invented the former and have leant on other producers.

I'm very much in the 'don't knock it until you try it' camp, but I cannot see what the fuss is about a sausage roll with even less meat in than the cheaply made original, so I'm in no hurry to try Gregg's vegan version. I have tried to like veggie sausages but haven't found any that have any redeeming features, save Glamorgan ones. I don't dislike bean burgers or veggie grills like the cauliflower cheese ones or those that are essentially variants of bubble & squeak. Not a huge fan of burgers in general, but beef patties are probably my least favourite.

Yes Scully, surely anything involving scones and clotted cream must be good. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:10 pm

scullion wrote:
A waste of calories!

not if it includes clotted cream - on jam, on scone.

I don't mind a cream tea once in a blue moon - but (ducks, runs for cover) I have found clotted cream disappointing the last few times I've had it, I was given some small tubs of Rodda's and it didn't really taste of anything much, just rich. This was well pre-Covid!

I much prefer cream that is "ripened" (well I do normally, I'm off sour milk and lactic ferments at the moment)

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Re afternoon tea, I do enjoy one once in a while, probably once every 2/3 years, so it still keeps its novelty value.

Agreed it’s a lot of calories but I probably eat very little else on the day so it should even itself out. In the heady days when we were allowed to meet up outside last summer five of us met up together, each taking a plate of something baked, but that was a much more modest affair. Oh, and there was loads more chatting than eating!!
I wonder if we’ll get to do the same this year?

Postby scullion » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: I have found clotted cream disappointing the last few times I've had it, I was given some small tubs of Rodda's and it didn't really taste of anything much, just rich.

i sort of agree with you, it doesn't have the rich 'baked' flavour of the cream the village shop got from the real milk dairy a while back (but sadly no more) that was really good and flavoursome - as was that scooped from big enamel bowls in dairies, decades ago.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I've never got the fuss about foie gras. I didn't try it for years in deference to my upbringing and was underwhelmed when I eventually did.

I'm intrigued, BM!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Both of my parents were appalled by the concept. The fact that it was beloved by 'toffs and the French' added to their disgust, no doubt. As per the notion of not knocking it until you try it, I have now tried it in a number of ways, as part of more complicated recipes and sampled whole liver unadulterated, both duck and goose. I very much like poultry livers of all sorts, but am now sure I prefer normal ones.

ETA Another food item I first sampled later in life was/were oysters. The reason for my reluctance was that my father, who loved them but ate them rarely, developed a reaction to them. They made him violently ill for a day after consumption. I tried my first ones on the quayside in Baltimore (Maryland rather than County Cork) in my late twenties and haven't looked back since. I'm considerably older now than Dad was when the molluscs first extracted their revenge. :crossed :crossed :crossed :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:52 pm

scullion wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote: I have found clotted cream disappointing the last few times I've had it, I was given some small tubs of Rodda's and it didn't really taste of anything much, just rich.

i sort of agree with you, it doesn't have the rich 'baked' flavour of the cream the village shop got from the real milk dairy a while back (but sadly no more) that was really good and flavoursome - as was that scooped from big enamel bowls in dairies, decades ago.
I think that's it - we used to be able to borrow a cottage in Helston and buy the glorious yellow, ripe, probably unpasteurised, stuff from the market square.. That had flavour as well as richness, really loved it

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm

The last lot of clotted cream (Rodda's, I think) that I had just seemed like extra thick double cream with a slightly dried top - nothing special and nothing like I remember from years ago.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:12 pm

I've never had afternoon tea. (Unless you cound MIL's wake which was afternoon teaish, and really really lovely food. All homemade.) Should I not bother, then? I would really like to. Just have to find a vegetarian and booze free one to make it worth our while. (The booze element just seems wrong even if you drink.)

I think anything you probably wouldn't do at home, because it feels like too much effort for two, is potentially nice. Like tapas and mezze. I love having lots of little things to try.

I still think there is room in the market for sweet 'tapas'. A cafe devoted to cafe gourmand sized desserts, but in which you select which things you want to have.

Yes, the Rhodda's clotted cream is diappointing in terms of flavour. I do buy it and have it with scones and jam relatively often.

I think I should go away. I just had a diet meal sub drink and am still hungry.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Son took me out for afternoon tea a my birthday, year before last. I chose the savoury option and very good it was too.

Cakes are vastly overrated IMHO!! I'll make an exception for Eccles cakes though.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Oddly enough, I bought some Rodda earlier (to accompany some chocolate tortes :yum ). I agree actually- it's OK but it's hard to get 'proper' clotted cream even with fab local farm shops. I must see if our village Jersey cow farmer (who makes the most incredible ice-cream) can provide...
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:27 pm

clotted cream - on jam, on scone.

Oh yes, with a big mug of tea
But not the faffy little bits that you get with an afternoon tea.
I'd rather save the calories for cheese and wine in the evening.

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:16 pm

I love the savoury stuff on afternoon tea, not bothered about the sweet things.
Oysters and foie gras I adore.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox