Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Overrated food

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 am

There is not much in the foodie world that I don’t enjoy. I am not particularly fussy and will try most things but I absolutely cannot be doing with chicken wings. :oops: I don’t care for the texture or the fiddliness. Nigel put a recipe in The Observer on Sunday and I just thought why would I bother?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... mato-sauce

You?

(Has a laugh because auto correct changed recipe to reindeer). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Overrated food

Postby cherrytree » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 am

Any sort of bean

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am

I too like most foods. There's only a couple I think are over-rated.

My in-laws were mad keen on soused herrings which I thought were horrible. Ditto oysters the first and only time I ate one.

Currently I am lukewarm about bought* Christmas cake. I would rather have a slice of madeira or carrot cake any day.

*homemade entirely different

Postby halfateabag » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:59 am

The only bonus I can see with Ckx wings is that eating them takes a little time so I tend to eat less meat that way..... The bones then go into my soup bag in the DF. I only ever buy them when they are RTC.

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 am

I think you’re either the sort of person who likes chewing and sucking on juicy gelatinous sticky bones or you’re not ... I’m one of the former ... everyone chuck their sticky wings in my direction please :yum

Postby cherrytree » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 am

CJD I think I get, but DF and RTC? Please can we have proper words?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:11 am

I have to admit that I find quite a few foods overrated, a different thing to really disliking them. I very often read comments here saying, 'We had a lovely .......' and think 'really?'.

The excitement over the first asparagus baffles me. It's quite nice, but to me, not worth the huge fuss.

I remember a discussion, possibly on the Beeb board, about chicken wings. If you get really good ones they are from well-reared birds and have to have been butchered in a certain way. They have a decent amount of meat on them and are relatively easy to eat in the fingers (not covered in sauce as NS suggests which would be very messy. I rarely enjoy messy eating). The scrawnier ones are a waste of time (but make lovely stock!).

Cherrytree, RTC is 'reduced to clear', we used it quite a bit as standard on the Wildie board. I think DF is deep freeze, not so standard. I still struggle over some of the very standard 'text speak' abbreviations known by all!!

Postby mistakened » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am

Steak, specifically any beef steak is highly overrated in my opinion. I have tried different cuts over many years and do not understand what the fuss is about. On the other hand I love Roast Lamb

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:37 am

Suffs wrote:I think you’re either the sort of person who likes chewing and sucking on juicy gelatinous sticky bones or you’re not ... I’m one of the former ... everyone chuck their sticky wings in my direction please :yum

I don't think it's that actually. My very favourite food is Osso bucco. I wonder if it's the bendiness of the chicken wing bones.

Beans I get cherrytree.

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:43 am

:oops: I’ve always thought RTC was Ready to Cook ... no wonder I’ve found some posts confusing :roll: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am

Suffs wrote::oops: I’ve always thought RTC was Ready to Cook ... no wonder I’ve found some posts confusing :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, has anyone noticed the new series of Ready Steady Cook on BBC1 daily at 3.45? I'll be shot down in flames but I actually think it's quite good.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am

Suffs wrote:I think you’re either the sort of person who likes chewing and sucking on juicy gelatinous sticky bones or you’re not ... I’m one of the former ... everyone chuck their sticky wings in my direction please :yum

Me too. A Chinese friend introduced me to chicken feet and I adored them too. :yum

I don't get Kiwi fruit as I've mentioned before. They taste of absolutely nothing to me.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:55 am

I'm always intrigued by the bags of chicken feet in the freezers at Wing Yip! I can't get over the idea that someone would think it a good idea to try cooking them. :lol: Resolves to be braver.

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:12 pm

Luuurve chicken feet as served at the Baby Buddha in Norwich :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:22 pm

I like dry chicken wings such as Buffalo wings or the Chinese or Thai style wings eaten as tapas of at a BBQ but Nigel Slater’s recipe is for wings in a wet tomato sauce which would work much better with chicken thighs and a knife and fork

I’m not enamoured of truffles (the fungi), they are a strong flavour and I don’t object to it, but I don’t regret not being able to pay £80+ for a fresh one

It’s the enthusiasm for dull, routine, stodgy, starchy things I can’t understand. People get so excited by boring carbohydrate fillers like suet dumplings and puddings and I don’t get it. Then they go on holiday and get obsessed by the local dull doughy thing, for example idli and hoppers in India and Sri Lanka, but as far as I’m concerned it’s the toppings and the ambiance that make them interesting.

Related, I dislike doughnuts and although I really like a few specific cakes I am always surprised that people get excited by generic cake without knowing what it is!

Clearly it’s a texture thing - I don’t like bland spongy flour based things but I will eat good bread even without a spread

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Sausages and pies.
Homemade sausages and homemade pies. Hey, I don't hate them.

Brownies, blondies, whatever you call them. Again, they're OK, I've made them. But I would say no.

Pulled pork.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 pm

Oh yes, Brownies. I quite agree!

Postby aero280 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:13 pm

I can’t understand the fad for cupcakes. The odd one is OK, but a whole shop selling just cupcakes? :thumbsdown

Postby liketocook » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Oh I've book marked the chicken wing recipe to make at some point. :D
With you on cupcakes aero!
Overrated for me is chicken breast, with a few exceptions I'd always much rather use the thigh.
Fillet steak is another, I'd never order it as a steak though do enjoy the cut in a wellington or stroganoff.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 pm

With you on both chicken breast and fillet steak local

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox