Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:58 pm

I don't like green tea - or any tea, but I really wish I did afor convenience

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:41 pm

Hmmmm........Gobby kettles :evil: - that's all I need....!

I wish I could like green tea for all its benefits - I've tried - 'onest guv - but I can't, just cannot get on board with it - or any fruit teas/tisanes come to think of it.

Avo on toast - another 'not for me'

Kale - nah - nicer greens to be had.

Popcorn? :o Never!!!!!! - may as well eat polystyrene balls!

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Your kettle sounds incredibly clever. Mine doesn't tell me anything! I shall have to investigate what kettles can do these days.

I like green tea.

I looked at fancy kettles where you can select a temperature a while back (around £100). When I asked how much the actual kettle weighed even without water, I could barely have lifted it. There are however timing tricks like boiling water then letting stand for a minute or whatever. Or a quick dip with a syrup thermometer to work out the standing time for a typical amount of water.

Re avocado on toast, I don't get it either and especially not with a runny egg, although some do. I do like mashed avo on a thick soft white bread doorstep decorated with crispy shallots or scrunched fried crispy bacon if meat OK.

Kale is actually a very healthy green (Vit K). I keep meaning to try fried kale crisps... Cabbage stems I like eating raw, if crisp and fresh that is, although I prefer some veg raw to cooked, e.g. carrots. Carrots might be like tomatoes, i.e. all the flavour bred out of them.

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Kale is nice in smoothies. Needs a good blasting though to make it drinkable.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:One thing that I find, not only overrated, but wrong, is burgers on brioche. Wrong on so many levels!!
I like a good burger. Our local butcher makes excellent ones

I am with you on the burger with brioche, completely wrong on every level. Far too soft and sweet IMO.

I also dislike American style cupcakes too. The icing is far too sweet. And what is Red Velvet cake all about as well? :vomit

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:27 pm

jeral wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:Your kettle sounds incredibly clever. Mine doesn't tell me anything! I shall have to investigate what kettles can do these days.

I like green tea.

I looked at fancy kettles where you can select a temperature a while back (around £100). When I asked how much the actual kettle weighed even without water, I could barely have lifted it. There are however timing tricks like boiling water then letting stand for a minute or whatever. Or a quick dip with a syrup thermometer to work out the standing time for a typical amount of water.

Ours wasn't that expensive, or, indeed, that heavy, but we got it for Christmas 2019 from my cousin - at least she gave us a JL voucher and we topped it up.

The other thing OH used to do was pour the boiling water from one mug to another a couple of times and that cooled it down to a better temperature for green tea.

There's a coffee water setting too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:48 pm

I think the thing with kale is that it´s become a trendy food item, just like sundried tomatoes over a decade ago, then balsamic vinegar, then the Meidterranean diet, then quinoa, then smoothies, etc., etc., etc. Kale is a type of cabbage, just to bring it down to earth 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:28 pm

I like kale in it's place, I've just had some cooked plainly with sausages, mash, carrots, and onion gravy. Almost any other green veg would done the job

I don't put it in smoothies, because I don't like smoothies, I have had kale crisps and not enjoyed them, the texture isn't truly crisp for a start, I have had kale salad massaged like crazy by Thane Prince herself, it was edible, but no better, I'm not bothering myself. The dressing (orangey I think) was good.

I do like the "seaweed" from Chinese restaurants,

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm

We're having kale with our roast chicken today ....... we like kale ....... it's always been a regular item on my winter menu, ever since I was a child, we grew it in the garden every winter along with Brussels sprouts, January King cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli. I was amazed when I grew up and discovered that a large proportion of people seemed never to have eaten it.

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:39 pm

I like the slight bitterness of kale and think it partners well with a sharp apple sauce served with a roast chicken dinner.

Postby liketocook » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:02 pm

I like kale especially in soup or fried with soy, ginger, garlic and sesame seeds or oil but please, please don't give it to me uncooked it does IMHO need to be well cooked to be enjoyable . It is overrated though as it is, as KK says, just a type of cabbage and not some miracle food. Kale, rhubarb, mint, chives, radishes and lettuce were the only things my parent's ever grew when I was growing up and most of my friends' families were the same. I was very surprised when it suddenly "appeared" as something new and exciting :lol: .

Postby Seatallan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Never met a brassica I didn't like. :yum :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby aero280 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:28 pm

We had kale, cauliflower and cabbage when I was young, but my mother also used to serve up turnip tops instead.

Postby Busybee » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Seatallan wrote:Never met a brassica I didn't like. :yum :D

Ditto!

Although my Mum could leech the flavour out of anything if she boils it enough!

BB

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm

We had turnip tops too Aero :yum We also had steamed sugar beet ‘thinnings’ when the beet fields were being ‘singled’ ... that was before the development of monogerm seed and more sophisticated seed drills of course.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:08 pm

So what do we think of kalettes? They’re coming tonight in my first ever Oddbox. 8-)

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Sounds like underwear.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:23 pm

We'll wait for your verdict PP!

We ate kale sometimes when I was a child but as far as I can remember, in the part of Norfolk where we were, it was considered primarily as something with which to feed cattle and only secondarily as human fodder. People grew more interesting kinds of cabbage in their gardens. I was surprised when it suddenly became a fashion item, I think some bright spark realised it could be juiced or smoothied amongst people who don't often do 'meat and two veg'.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:41 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Sounds like underwear.

:lol:

Or a Prince song ('Little Green Kalette' possibly? :) )
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:So what do we think of kalettes? They’re coming tonight in my first ever Oddbox. 8-)

I quite like them as a variation on a them, but again "just another perfectly ok brassica"

I always thought the Kalettes sounded like an offshoot of the Radio City Rockettes or a girl group like the Ronettes

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox