Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby mistakened » Sat May 29, 2021 7:35 am

Am I the only person who finds Pulled Pork overrated? Maybe I have been unfortunate in when I have been given it.

Moira

Postby Busybee » Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am

mistakened wrote:Am I the only person who finds Pulled Pork overrated? Maybe I have been unfortunate in when I have been given it.

Moira

Nope, I think it’s usually a sweet gloopy mess. Can’t see the attraction, and I love pork usually.
I really like a nice slow roasted joint but really dislike the synthetic sweet stuff they use when serving pulled pork.

BB

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 29, 2021 9:44 am

I think pulled pork must vary hugely. In the States it's a staple of 'low and slow' barbeque, which is surely not how it's done over here.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 am

To me, pulled pork is pork cooked slowly in an oven or barbecue until it falls apart and can be 'pulled' with two forks. I love meat cooked this way. Surely the addition of any sauce is to the personal taste of the diner or taste of the chef rather than part of the basic dish description? I agree that some of the sauces sometimes offered are not to my taste and I'd want them sparingly or not at all - but that meat - mmmm!
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Sat May 29, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 29, 2021 10:05 am

I agree Earthmaiden, I think the problem with pulled pork in restaurants and pubs is that it’s usually cooked without adequate seasonings, then mixed with a syrupy sauce so it can be dolloped into bread buns

Good pulled pork, made at home or by a proper BBQ cook like Dr Sweetsmoke is a different proposition

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 29, 2021 10:49 am

In the US I believe there are regional variations in the saucing (as well as individual variation in the rubs). Some will be thick and sweet, some thinner & more vinegary and so on. I've tried to make it in the Pro Q but didn't quite give it long enough. I've also done it in the IP, with a more pullable but less smoky result. This would be more to Mrs B's taste in any case.

It's all over the shop in the UK nowadays, not unlike Doom Bar or Greene King IPA. There's plenty of scope for bad examples of each.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 29, 2021 12:19 pm

I have never had pulled pork. I am not even sure what it is. My knowledge of meat is stuck in a 1980s British timebubble. (I could have said stuck in aspic if I'd stopped eating meat in the 50s or 60s...?!? :) )
I do think (chocolate) brownies are overrated, but I have probably already said this.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 29, 2021 12:32 pm

I was spoiled. Dr Sweetsmoke's was the first time I tried it, even before trying it in the USA. Quite agree with BM's comments re rubs and sauces. Sadly, some of the commercial products are unpleasant and the meat not cooked lovingly.

I so agree about brownies, Herbi.

Postby Busybee » Sat May 29, 2021 2:17 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I agree Earthmaiden, I think the problem with pulled pork in restaurants and pubs is that it’s usually cooked without adequate seasonings, then mixed with a syrupy sauce so it can be dolloped into bread buns

Good pulled pork, made at home or by a proper BBQ cook like Dr Sweetsmoke is a different proposition

Yes Sue, exactly this. I love pork, just not the abomination that gets passed off as pulled pork in many eating places.

BB

Postby Amyw » Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 pm

I made pulled pork at work the other week but very much tasted as I went with the accompanying barbecue sauce . I think barbecue sauce can be really gloopy horrible stuff .

The texture of pulled pork is amazing . I might make again soon but try a different type of sauce .. maybe more Mexican and have in wraps

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 31, 2021 3:38 am

I´ve actually eaten pulled pork, several times.
Here in Venezuela it´s a favourite for sandwiches ( well, monster sandwiches) but it´s always juicy and soft and pleasant to eat. No ´orrible sauces with it, in general, although a BBQ sauce might be available.
Mexican cochinito pibil is a pulled pork. It´s cooked in banana leaves ( but you can do it in a casserole with a lid) and slathered with annato, chile, onion, orange juice and spices. However, the end result is NOT covered in sauce. When I last ate it in CDMX, the pork had been "pulled" and was put into a taco. A spoonful of the cooking juices was drizzled over the top. To be honest, I never thought I´d eat more than half a taco, what with it being meat, but I ended up clearing the plate (3 tacos).
Plastering a dish of pulled pork with loads of sauce seems a waste to me; surely the pork should shine through, not the sauce?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 am

It's another in a long list of foods that pay lip service to something from which they apparently derived. Spag Bol isn't really ragu Bolognese, baked beans aren't Boston baked beans, curry, at least as our parents made it, isn't like anything else anywhere else. :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:36 pm

I have just had my first Cheesey Chips.. Rubbish.

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I have just had my first Cheesey Chips.. Rubbish.

I don’t get them either PP, nor the compulsion to have gravy with my chips either, but enough people love it.

BB

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:10 pm

At one place of work a few of us used to go to the pub on Friday lunchtimes.
Remember those days?

A favourite order was a plate of chips with cheese melted over and scattered with crispy bacon bits.
And a beer.

I tended not to be very productive on Friday afternoons.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:18 pm

No Poutine for some of you then? :lol:

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Cheesy chips with "chinese-style" curry sauce are one of my guilty pleasures. The chips need to have lots of salt & vinegar on them. I sometimes make them with the Mayflower Curry sauce. Blooming lovely :yum (Gravy will do at a push but curry sauce is the best. :) )

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:14 pm

The only thing I really like on chips is salt, and something like tartare sauce or ketchup to dip them into

Having said which, had some last week that came with chip spice/chip seasoning on them and that worked for me

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:31 pm

My elder son is a big fan of this chip seasoning https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /281733365.
When I make wedges I usually season with Old Bay or Cajun spice , they also haven been known to be sprinkled on oven chips.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:12 am

I grew up with salt and malt vinegar on chips, but then discovered 'tomato sauce'. I suppose these days I tend to have S&V, but I will dip chips in anything mayo based or tomatoey.

In this house, wedges are made with S&P, smoked paprika and something herby.

ETA

I didn't dislike Poutine but am in no tearing hurry to have any more. We might well return to Vancouver one day and will probably eat it there.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox