Register

Thou shall not covet

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Thou shall not covet

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Ditto :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 pm

mistakened wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:the OXO Good Grips spiraliser )
I bought one, much harder to use than I thought it would be. However we use our microplane graters

You can say that again Moira .... when I bought it and tried it for the first (and only) time, I think I took photos and put them on the then WF forum :(

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:I wanted a ridged griddle plate to produce those succulent striped steaks and courgettes so beloved of chefs. Saved up, bought one, the kitchen filled with smoke, the extractor couldnt cope, the smoke alarms went off, never again, sold it at a car boot for a very stupid amount of money.

Oooh, I use mine quite often and always for steak. I have only just started putting it at the top of the oven as a base for grilling bacon. Once it is hot, it seems to cook both sides at the same time. :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:23 pm

Me too. In fact, will be cooking marinaded lamb steaks on mine a bit later. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:11 pm

My parents always kept a decent selection of drinks in the house, but other than Sunday lunch when Dad had a beer, they didn't bother unless we had visitors.

At 16 or so I asked if I could have a whisky and lemonade.
Mum was so surprised she agreed.
It must have taken me 3 hours to drink it.

Not only was it forbidden to be wasteful, but I refused to lose face.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm

I used to have a flat grater and far preferred it to the alien-to me box grateer that my MIL gave us when husband and I moved in together. The box grater has the advantage of stability, I admit. I am now using my Moulinex Julienne Mill when I need to grate large quantities of cheese. edit: (really good for parmesan.) It's so easy and actually quite fun... kind of. I bought it in France so it would have been cheaper than the one I can see on amazon.
I also have a very fine grater (for parmesan) which sits in/on a box to colect the cheese.

I coverted both a (soft) cheese maker and a sauce maker (yes, I know...) for what seemed like ages. Both only available to buy new in France, which may have been part of it. I had (still have, I think) an ancient SEB cheese maker bought at a car boot sale in Oxford but wanted the up to date one when it got to a point where I could afford such fripperies. I bought a Le Sauciere on eBay but in the end bought a brand new one in France. Gave the old one to my mother who had been complaining about not being able to stir things any more. Of course she never used it. They just stopped having white sauce.

Anyway neither of these gadgets have been used much, but I don't regret having them. This makes me think I should get them out and use them.

I really like truffles. I was in truffle (and general good) heaven when we were on holiday in San Gimignano, gosh, 15 years ago. I've only had caviar once and was underwhelmed. Maybe it wasn't particularly good stuff.

I do covet a stand alone blender. Can't justify it though when I have a blender attachment for my Kenwood Chef.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:33 pm

I have a Le Saucier. Used it to bits for years. Wouldn’t be able to find it today.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:53 pm

I do know where mine is, which is a good sign. Ditto La Fromagere. I see you can still get the very '70s looking SEB Fromageres on eBay.

I am partly glad I have them because I wouldn't buy these things now. Leaner times plus I have put stronger breaks on buying gadgets (and disapproving husband put a damper on any such purchases.) I suspect I partly wanted them because they gIve me a little mission while in France. Won't need a mission next time I go. I will be in supermarket heaven by default.

I covert gardening things more now. I suppose I have less of them.

I did covet a Kenwood Chef for ages too. I bought one in the end and I love it. It's not used very regularly, as I don't make cakes or bread often (the liquidizer probably attachment gets the most use) but it gives me intense nostalgic pleasure as well as being a really good gadget.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:45 pm

My mother always coveted my aunt’s Kenwood Chef back at the beginning of the sixties. My dad was terrible with money so she never got one. She then got a career as a teacher and wouldn’t have used it like she should. Fast Forward to the end of the seventies when I was teaching at the local Saturday Morning Music School in Harrow. They were almost indecently into fundraising (they really didn’t need to as the Labour council paid for everything). Anyway, they had an auction of things people were happy to donate. A Kenwood Chef was on the list! I sent a trusty colleague off to bid for it. Up to £20 I said.

Got it for £3. It’s a bit grubby but I still use it.

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:01 pm

Wow Pepper Pig, £3! I suspect most of the forum will have gone off you now ;) I bought a 4-tier bamboo steamer for a quid which looked new but I didn't know how to wash it up to sterilise it so never used it.

I bought a new Pyrex casserole bowl which has a steamer, although I don't use it often as it's heavy for me. The bowl itself is huge and can go on the hob, so I might start using it after all because...

... A coveted item was/is a handheld steam cleaner. I've had two now which have been fine for about a month then both have refused to eject any water. I'm guilty of not using distilled water (which is a silly price to buy) so probably my fault.

However, one can distil water by boiling a big pan of water with a smaller bowl floating in it. The lid is put on inverted so the peak points downwards in the centre, then rising steam condenses and drips off into the bowl leaving minerals etc behind. Et voila, and of course I have a very big Pyrex bowl :) Whether the gas used for ages with little return of water is cheaper than buying distilled water I don't know.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:04 pm

I gave away a Kenwood Chef before cooking became so important to me. I have regretted it ever since :(

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:08 pm

hahaha- probably not. it would be cheaper to get a water filter - or if you have a dehumidifier use the water from that.
i have a steam mop - it takes longer to rinse and reapply the mop pads as it would to use an ordinary mop. it lives in the corner - moping.

when clearing her house, we got rid of my mother's kenwood chef and all the attachments for a song - i regret that, too.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:47 pm

My Mum gave me a Kenwood Chef for Christmas 1974. It accompanied my travels to The Netherlands and survived several moves in the UK. I had it completely refurbished in 2014 and it came back like new. It had even been repainted in the original colours. It's still going strong and I expect it to outlive me. :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:45 pm

Last time I looked Kenwood still sold reburbished models at a good price, albeit a touch than £3. Smaller living spaces is its worst enemy for sales I imagine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:12 pm

I coveted a Kitchen Aid but I know 2 people who have had terrible trouble with the machine, and then even more with their customer disservice department

Back to wanting a Kenwood Chef, which were originally made a stone's throw from the house I spent most of my childhood in

No space for one, still haven't got an Instant Pot for that reason, but this may change when I finally throw out my pressure cooker, as they aren't making spares for it any longer

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:24 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Back to wanting a Kenwood Chef, which were originally made a stone's throw from the house I spent most of my childhood in

No space for one, still haven't got an Instant Pot for that reason, but this may change when I finally throw out my pressure cooker, as they aren't making spares for it any longer

My Instant Pot replaced a slow cooker and a large pressure cooker . I had them stashed away in cupboards, but my IP lives on a work surface otherwise I doubt it would get used half as much :roll: :oops:

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:24 pm

May I ask how much it costs to get a Kenwood Chef refurbished?

My mother has one which she doesn't need. I don't really need it either but it could go to France (like I make cakes there... but if it's in decent shap it would be crime to throw it away...?)

Postby aero280 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:32 pm

There is a company here that has up to date prices for restoration to different levels and different machines.

http://www.kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk/prices/

No idea what they are like.

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm

The link aero posted is the company that I used. They're not the most communicative but the quality of their work was faultless.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Thanks! It might be worth doing. It must be a 1960s one?! Maybe early '70s.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox